Re: Upgrade to version 4.3 - experiencing battery dying at rapid pace
metalgirl247
Enthusiast - Level 2

no better Smiley Sad  I don't touch it when I go to bed... goes from 100% to 58-62% when I wake up....I am not happy and neither are a few people I know...some on different carriers even having battery issue.

I'm still trying to figure out why the verizon tech on the phone said my battery could've got fried with a software update?

kbachler
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem.

The device constantly does Wifi scanning at a higher rate.

On reboot, the device now starts up numerous apps - it didn't do that prior to the upgrade.  (prior to the upgrade I had about 700M free on startup, now about 350M free)

I have sometimes had the device act normally - not sure what I have done to cause that, but ...

...when it is in "battery drain mode" the battery will drain even if I close apps and plug in a charger, turn off all radios and turn off the screen.  Prior to the upgrade, the same charger would charge the device fine.

I have noticed:

1. The CPU is running 2-3 times faster in "battery drain mode" even though I am "doing nothing". 

2. Also, Android OS jumps from about 5% battery use to 30+%.  Given the large screen use on the GN2, the battery drains.

I understand it is impossible to go back to the prior OS.  Is it possible to re-do the upgrade on the off-chance that something installed incorrectly?

My sense, though, given the sudden proliferation of apps starting on reboot, is that something is just fundamentally wrong with this upgrade.  Why would it start a bunch of apps that never started before?

BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

"Awesome upgrade"? 

You're kidding.  Right?

Nothing good came of this "awesome upgrade".  Just a lot of inconvenience and hassle.  And extra cost.

Almost ready to pay the early termination and go back to my dumbphone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to consider cancelling BirdOnTheBeach! Upgrades are supposed to enhance your phone and be great. I'm sorry this isn't your experience. What extra cost are you referring to? What exact issues are you having with the phone? Please elaborate.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Chir
Enthusiast - Level 2

VanessaS_VZW

Lots of note 2 users are unhappy after the 4.3 upgrade, I;m sure BirdOnTheBeach is no different.  Performance and battery life is HORRIBLE after the upgrade.  I don't even recommend the Note anymore as it is buggy, slow, and not doesn't provide a good end user experience.  Just read your forums if you want symptoms... most of us just want to go back to the previous version!!!

BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

I have had to invest in more charging tools so I am able to be away from my home charger.

Have bought portable power packs, extra battery, and freestanding (Samsung, of course) battery charger so spare can charge while other is in phone.  All OEM Samsung.

The cost in TIME is not calculable.  How much time I've had to spend putting things back the way I want them.  How much TIME I have spent trying to figure out what is causing problems and trying to undo what got messed up by the update. 

Biggest issue is my battery drains rapidly, even when the phone is "asleep" overnight...I have lost as much as 40% of the battery at night.  Not sure if it's related to WiFi (I've seen some suggest it's the WiFi radio constantly searching).  I do use WiFi at home to save on the data.  It didn't used to drain my phone this way.

I clear the RAM several times a day.  Stop apps that seem to be running.

I'm also having some occasional difficulty with the phone booting, if I have turned it off for overnight charge.  Not every time, but since update has occasionally been freezing on boot, won't respond to power button, and I have to pull of the case (not easy) and remove the battery in order to power down.

Lost an app that was the reason I bought the phone and apparently Google won't let us have it back.

Dropping WiFi.  Call quality seems to have dropped.  Apps freeze more often that were previously trouble-free.

What Chir said. The phone has gone from being relatively trouble-free to one that seems to need constant babysitting and tweaking to keep it from doing things on its own that suck the battery life out. 

And I don't like feeling like I'm in danger of losing my settings and my choices because someone in the cloud thinks they have something better.  I think a little communication would be great before Verizon/Samsung/Google come into my environment (my phone) and rearrange everything, take things away that I use, load me with bloat that I don't need, and don't ask me if I want it.  It felt as if someone had come into my house, packed up my stuff, moved me to a new place, unpacked stuff, but some of it wasn't mine.  And some of mine was missing.  That is worse than the little practical irritations about battery life and such.

Hard reset is not the answer.  But it seems to be the only solution offered.  Others around the community have stated it much more succinctly and specifically than I've been able to do.  All we want is really an acknowledgement that there is a lot wrong with this update, it has had negative impact on us, and there IS A TIMELINE for fixing it.

BirdOnTheBeach
Contributor - Level 1

Ohh...sorry, forgot to mention...I am not one to leave Verizon in a huff...I've had good experiences right along with customer service, and the coverage has been stellar (except, for some reason, inside my mother's house.  We sold the house ).

Been with Verizon for a lot of years and have been content.  Just not going to keep using a pain in the neck smartphone, especially when I do not control the content.

OSitCAMEwith
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello. Have you received any help to make the nightmare of the forced 4.3 update effects on the Galaxy Note 2's battery?

I called techsupport and they were aware enough to suggest I use KIES software from Samsung to have it recognize the phone and select CANCEL to stop the upgrade that I stopped in mid-stream when I saw it starting to happen.

Unfortunately, in order to force the update on this particular model, they have removed the Galaxy Note II from the KIES list! (both versions of KIES -- 2.6 and 3.0 will not recognize this device any longer!)

SO I am at the hands of xda developers to get around this since the phone has been in Airplane Mode for a few weeks and is still, thankfully, in 4.1.2 state. THIS experience is so strange as Samsung selected just this model and the Galaxy S III phones to get the force-fed upgrade. Both are experiencing problems (phone turning on and off + battery life halved) on T-Mobile too according to 2 friends that have the GN2 also.  SO strange that I have to buy an iPhone after all this because at least they let you choose if you want to install update(s) and , more importantly and unlike Samsung, they allow one to gp back to the older OS as needed.  In this case, Samsung says "sorry just wait for an update" and "do not try to go back to 4.1.2 or it will void warranty!". What a way to lose trust that this could happen with any Samsung Smartphone in the future!

Bynextfall

Well at Least you have the 4.3 update I am still waiting

0 Likes
southport5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bynextfall- at least You still have 4.1.2!

0 Likes