Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Turn off 5G on Note 20 Ultra
usmaak
Novice

Hello,

I was wondering how I might turn off 5G on my Note 20 Ultra.  My home is in a marginal area and always has been.  Where I live, Verizon is the least garbage out of a bunch of garbage providers.  Even with 4G, my signal strength is usually one bar.  5G is even worse.  I'd like to have the ability to turn off 5G in areas where it is weak.  I looked through the phone and didn't see a way to do this.  Please advise.

Re: Turn off 5G on Note 20 Ultra
DMathews1
Novice

I'm sorry to tell you this, but there is no way to turn-off your 5g service on your phone or from Verizon's office. - -  You are stuck with the cruddy "Nationwide 5G service" unless you switch to a "non 5G phone".... otherwise, you're stuck.  Sorry to give you the bad news! - - I've been trying to find a way to get off of my Nationwide 5G on my Galaxy S20+, and I can't...  If you find some way out, let me know!  - -  Good luck!

usmaak
Novice

It truly is cruddy, isn't it?

I think I will go down to the Verizon store and see if I can swap out my 5G sim for a 4G sim or maybe even us the 4G sim on my old Note 8.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It concerns me to hear that your network experience hasn't been the greatest, usmaak. I'm here to help. To disable 5G, the best option would be to alter the network mode to LTE/CDMA. Here is a link with the steps: http://spr.ly/6605HDc5R

Please let me know how it works afterward.

LynnE_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

usmaak, we are concerned to hear you are having trouble with your service. We are happy to assist you in any way possible. What issues are you currently experiencing? May we inquire what ZIP Code you are having problems?

-Joshua

0 Likes
Kimya28

I'm seriously considering switching service providers. I'm barely getting 1 Bar with 5G, yet my Galaxy 9Plus got at least 3 in my area. I called Verizon. Guy was nice, but even changing mode as suggested,  phone still automatically goes back to barely 5G. $1200+ phone with cruddy service. I Should've just stuck with my 9Plus.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Kimya28, we would hate to see you go. We would be happy to see if we can help improve your signal! Please respond to the Private Note we sent to get started. ScottD_VZW

0 Likes
Tony_STL

Setting the network to LTE/CDMA definitely does not prevent my S20+ from connecting to a 5G tower whenever it detects one, even if the signal is considerably weaker than the available 4G would be. This leads to what is often a very poor 5G experience, as the mmWave signal strength drops off significantly after about a city block.

9wood

Just my 2 cents seen others report same issue with 5g being slow etc and not able to take off 5g option would seem to me is a phone 5g should have option to go to 4g or perhaps a option to select best signal between the 2 I.e if they is stronger signal use that or 5g if better signal than 4g at area in Proberly more a manufacturer issue in this case

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want to make sure that you are able to use your service wherever you are. Are you having any issues with your service when you connect to 5G?

AlfredoL_VZW

0 Likes