Re: Too many different Verizon responses about Note 7 recall
Tidbits
Legend

mikelaaron wrote:

Thank you- this is helpful information.

A couple of things:

1. I know lots of us hate the generic tech support people reading from scripts (have you turned it off and turned it back on?), but in this instance it would be helpful. Supply all the store reps with a script to regurgitate - but a full script (like Angcut14 just quoted)- not just "return or exchange by Sept 30" but what the process is for those of us who want to get a new, safe Note 7

Return it and wait it out.  This is what Samsung said from the beginning, and all carriers are saying the same thing.  Return it and get a refund and wait it out.  If people want to keep it then that's on them if they want to wait for a new one. 

2. Sure $25 as a credit or whatever is nice (but really amounts to nothing for us, cost millions for Samsung), but the incentive should be that current Note 7 owners get the first replacement ones- I know Samsung can't tell the stores what to do, but its in a lot of people's interest to have those of us walking around with potential 'fire starters' to have ours replaced first.

That's why they said RETURN the device and get your refund.  They are not telling you to hold on to the device. 

3. It needs to be 'like for like:' there should not be an option to, say, switch colors from what you currently have; this isn't a shopping trip, but a replacement. Coral Blue owners get Coral Blue, etc. Stores should take 'pre-orders' for replacements: verify you have the Note 7 and what type, and then put you on a list. When your type comes in, they call or text you.

That's too much logistics for a company who has nothing to do with what happened.  Who's going to pay for it.  Samsung isn't, and no other carrier or 3rd party retailer isn't either.

4. This 'no restocking fee' thing with a deadline is non-sensical. I don't know what it means to 'restock' a phone, but i imagine that typically the fee covers the cost of them sending the phone for refurbishing and then selling it. In this case- there is no 'restocking'- It shouldn't matter if you turn it in by September 30 or on Jan 25, 2017. Its basically 'junk.'

It does matter.  Recalls have deadlines even dangerous ones for cars.  My 1988 CRX had a seatbelt recall I recently purchased and it was never fixed.  I had to buy new seat belts as all previous owners never got it fixed.  That tells me Samsung told carriers that there should be enough to cover everyone and why Verizon made that deadline. 

Restocking covers refurbishing  like you said... That does INCLUDE replacing the batteries which are faulty so they are not "junk" once those are replaced if they need replacing.

0 Likes
snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I find disturbing is that Verizon still has not notified me in any way that my phone that I just bought last week (the night before the recall) has a potentially dangerous issue. Not a text, email, snail mail, nothing. And when I spoke to my rep at the store the day of the recall, he said that it was no big deal, that it wasn't even happening to U.S. phones, and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Meanwhile, my husband is freaking out and asked me not to charge my phone at night, only while I'm wide awake and right there beside it, which limits the amount of time I can charge it. I even have the wireless charging pad, but there's only so much time I have to sit still.

Verizon, when do you plan on contacting your customers instead of waiting for them to read about this in the news?

indianafanatic68
Enthusiast - Level 3

"My 1988 CRX had a seatbelt recall I recently purchased and it was never fixed.  I had to buy new seat belts as all previous owners never got it fixed."

Seriously?  You bought a car that is almost 30 years old, and you are equating that with a phone that has been in the wild for less than 30 days?  You probably should have stopped your rebuttal before you started this paragraph. 

The bigger picture is the contest between the manufacturer and the retailer that is selling their product.  Samsung is on the hook for producing a faulty product, and Verizon is on the hook for selling it.  Once that fault has been made public, and the voluntary recall process put in place, it's in both parties' interest to resolve it as quickly and efficiently as possible.  If that means that one or the other companies loses some money, it is much cheaper than the results from not doing right by their customers.

Sure, both companies have an out by offering a different product at a different price, but I'm guessing the majority of the Note 7 owners would rather have a Note 7 that is functionally safe and sound.  If getting that safe phone into their hands means eating a 15% restocking fee, the value of that cost FAR exceeds increased bad press, lost subscriber revenue and perpetual message board trolling.

Tidbits
Legend

If you looked at it in context. The fact there is a recall on something it has an expiration date on when to get them fixed. All recalls do.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I was ponting out the date they gave was when the offer expired. They gave the option for a return is for YOUR safety to return and wait for the device you want. Return the pick up another device to wait for the Note 7 replacements to come in and then exchange for those.

It's not rocket science and not confusing at all. It's just a bunch of entitlement going on because everyone has 2 outs and by holding on the device doesn't give privileges because you chose to.

0 Likes
indianafanatic68
Enthusiast - Level 3

"If you looked at it in context. The fact there is a recall on something it has an expiration date on when to get them fixed. All recalls do"

How long do you think the recall was in effect for your 1988 Honda CRX's seat belts?  What was your due diligence in making sure that any potential 1988 Honda CRX recalls had been addressed before buying the auto that you did? 

Do you honestly think that 30 days is an acceptable time frame in which to get a faulty product fixed, switched or replaced?  If so, you, my friend, are part of the problem and NOT the solution.  I hope that one of the involved companies is paying you handsomely for your abhorrent posts.

I hope your wife never finds any faults in YOUR make and model, and tries to make an insurance claim on you.

Aulwesjo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tibits, You're not very helpful.

People just want solid answers from Verizon in writing. When the announcement was made (a week ago) it was stated the phones would be available as early as next week (tomorrow). It would be nice to have an official announcement on the status, not rumors.

So I would like to return my phone now; can I get a loaner phone when I return my phone? (I've had heat and battery drain issues).

When I went to the Verizon store I was told to call Verizon when I called Verizon I talked to someone who was going to "check on it" I was put on hold for over 30 minutes and then they hung up.

Tidbits
Legend

indianafanatic68 wrote:

"If you looked at it in context. The fact there is a recall on something it has an expiration date on when to get them fixed. All recalls do"

How long do you think the recall was in effect for your 1988 Honda CRX's seat belts? What was your due diligence in making sure that any potential 1988 Honda CRX recalls had been addressed before buying the auto that you did?

Do you honestly think that 30 days is an acceptable time frame in which to get a faulty product fixed, switched or replaced? If so, you, my friend, are part of the problem and NOT the solution. I hope that one of the involved companies is paying you handsomely for your abhorrent posts.

I hope your wife never finds any faults in YOUR make and model, and tries to make an insurance claim on you.

I know my cars. I knew about the recall because I bought one of those brand new back in the day when they had the recall.  When I purchased the CRX (great commuter car saves a lot of gas).  I knew those seatbelts were not updated.

Yes it is a considerable life span for cell phones.  You know about it and there is no complaining if you CHOOSE to keep the device and anything happens when YOU have 2 ways to ensure your safety... 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Aulwesjo wrote:

Tibits, You're not very helpful.

People just want solid answers from Verizon in writing. When the announcement was made (a week ago) it was stated the phones would be available as early as next week (tomorrow). It would be nice to have an official announcement on the status, not rumors.

So I would like to return my phone now; can I get a loaner phone when I return my phone? (I've had heat and battery drain issues).

When I went to the Verizon store I was told to call Verizon when I called Verizon I talked to someone who was going to "check on it" I was put on hold for over 30 minutes and then they hung up.

The problem... It's not Verizon's recall.  They are at the mercy of the manufacturer. They have said return your device for a refund or switch to another device.  They have done all they need to do.  If you choose to hold on to the device and wait for replacement.  I mean it's all over social media, the internet, tv, FM radio.  Samsung is even emailing people who registered their Samsung devices(This happens as soon as you log into your Samsung account).

As I said earlier in the thread.  RETURN the phone.  as policy is 1 exchange.  After the return happens you can get another device and still have that one exchange in case you want the Note 7 still.

Also holding onto your phone is like saying the Note 7 is more important than your safety, house, or car.  You would rather keep a device that could blow up on you.  When I heard the recall I turned in my phone as soon as I found out.  Currently right now I am using an old phone sure, but I always have backups in case of scenarios like these, or just a general device is broken.  So you can try and get it in writing and whatever what not, but to me its common sense. 

0 Likes
Cejais
Enthusiast - Level 2

All the other carriers are offer an exchange to the new model when they are available without setting an arbitrary timeline or a re-stocking fee.  The complaints are not about Samsung and the phone, the complaints are about Verizon's attempt to 1. clear out the stock of potentially faulty phones and 2. Verizons attempt to make money off of the recall