Samsung Smart Call
bradbaker1989
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought a Note 20 Ultra 5G outright and wanted to enable Smart Call features because the native phone dialer application allows features that are only available via subscription in the Verizon Call Filter application.  The main one is that Smart Call will automatically redirect to voicemail for suspected spam calls.  Currently I can only block phone numbers but that would never allow the caller to reach my voicemail and doesn't work for me.  

I spoke with a Verizon Representative via chat and have the pictures of the conversation where they admit that the feature is disabled because they offer a Call Filter app and want us to use the Verizon Call Filter.  We discussed that the native feature may not work through Verizon's server which is why the feature may be disabled but I quickly was able to download Hiya and it works and coincidentally Smart Call uses Hiya just enables premium features at no cost.

So why should we be restricted access to features that come free with the phone and be forced to just Verizon's overlay Call ID which uses battery and is much less seamless experience overall.  Just because I want to buy a phone plan with Verizon shouldn't mean that I have to also buy your Call ID or have limited features.  

If I chose to buy the unlocked version of the phone, I would be unable to use WiFi calling or HD Voice, so I had to buy the Verizon model for the same cost as the unlocked.  So shouldn't my phone be able to do everything the other one can?  Me having to buy the Verizon branded one to use WiFi calling and HD Voice is controlling enough and now this.  What else can't my phone do that I don't even know about?!  

So petition to have access to Smart Call and be able to undo any restrictions placed on my phone without my knowledge or permission, or to be able to subscribe to premium Caller ID at no cost since my phone should have these features built in.  

Labels (1)
Re: Samsung Smart Call
dvdcrn
Enthusiast - Level 1

It seems I have the same problem with Samsung Smart Call. I have a Galaxy S21, which was not purchased through Verizon, but was added to my Verizon plan. I've even uninstalled the Verizon Call Filter app, but the phone settings I've read about for enabling Samsung Smart Call features just aren't available. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, dvdcrn. Please be assured that we want you to have the best wireless experience. You mention that the  Samsung Smart Call does not work with your non-Verizon phone. Our resources show that this feature (Samsung Smart Call) is not a Verizon Wireless feature and only the phone manufacturer can assist you further with it, please contact them for assistance. 

We provide Call Filter to assist with SPAM calls and text messages. Please consider this option https://www.verizon.com/support/call-filter-faqs/ to minimize unsolicited calls and messages.

-Antonio

0 Likes
ebenezeryakbain
Enthusiast - Level 1

But Verizon's call filter is *terrible*.

We just bought a new cheap set of cordless phones for our seldom used landline, and I was thrilled to see a feature that redirects to voicemail.

It has virtually eliminated spam calls to the line.

Meanwhile, on my technologically advanced Galaxy from Verizon, I  often get a dozen or more spam calls daily. *Some* of those are labelled as "potential spam", but most are not.

My only recourse is to answer the bloody  things and find out they are junk--which also gives the buggers the information that my number is a potential piece of info they can sell to another spammer.

Went looking to see why I couldn't get something more advanced on my Galaxy and found, to my surprise, that Samsung *does* have more capabilities than Verizon wants me to use, so it is disabled.

That is terrible customer service/support.

I am very likely to purchase a new phone in the near fture, and  will definitely be looking at other carriers who do not cripple their customers' devices.

kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes