Samsung Note 4 issue opening Security in Settings
supermalemodelmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got the phone yesterday and after setting everything up I cannot access Security settings in Settings.  When I select Security a message comes up "Unfortunately Settings has stopped".  I had the Fingerprint unlock activated so I turned that off and it still is happening and I tried to restart the device and it still will not open.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung Note 4 issue opening Security in Settings
supermalemodelmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just chatted with VZW support and found a work around until they fix or narrow down the culprit app.  The rep had me start the phone in safe mode by holding the power button in and when the options appear press and hold power off icon until restart in safe mode appears, select to restart in safe mode.  When I did this I could access Security from Settings.  Restart the phone again to exit safe mode.  Hope this helps.  According to this result it appears one of the apps I downloaded is impacting the Security Settings.  You can do a reset but before doing so you have to set the phone up so it does not restore previous apps so you can add them one at a time to see which one is impacting the Security Settings.  I will put that off for now and hope the next update fixes this.  I do not want to set everything up again so soon after investing so much time doing so just these past two days.

View solution in original post

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Power down and remove battery, SD card and SIM. Wait about 3 min. then replace Battery, SIM, & card, next power on and go to settings and then backup & restore and try doing a Reset settings, not a Factory data reset. I have seen this work on a Samsung before if you have no other problems in the phone.

P4c023
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone is having the same issue, I have not installed any apps and I get the same issue.

I tried multiple Hard Reset, and the settings work for the first few minutes, however as soon as I set up my Gmail, and the apps that come on the phone update, I am unable to access Security.

So annoying...

EVILV1P3R
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine is exactly the same, a friend has the at version and it works fine and has a completely different menu design.

P4c023
Enthusiast - Level 1

My dad's phone arrived today and the same thing? I was going to exchange

my phone tomorrow. But it seems like it's not the phone, it seems like it's

a software issue? Is it a certain batch? If it matters both note 4 are

blacks. And yea my friends Sprint one seems to be working just fine, I

can't reproduce the issue with his phone.

supermalemodelmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry more people are having the same problem but hopefully VZW puts a fix out there quickly.  I usually wait a few weeks or months before buying a newly released smartphone so some of the bugs can be resolved first but I just had to have the Note 4.  Unfortunately the Security settings are important and access is a must.  I was able to access it initially and made adjustments but now I want to add Grooveshark app from their website and cannot allow downloads from unknown sources until I can get into the Security settings.  The app is not available in the Google Play Store because Grooveshark has legal battles going on with music industry.

0 Likes
supermalemodelmike
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just chatted with VZW support and found a work around until they fix or narrow down the culprit app.  The rep had me start the phone in safe mode by holding the power button in and when the options appear press and hold power off icon until restart in safe mode appears, select to restart in safe mode.  When I did this I could access Security from Settings.  Restart the phone again to exit safe mode.  Hope this helps.  According to this result it appears one of the apps I downloaded is impacting the Security Settings.  You can do a reset but before doing so you have to set the phone up so it does not restore previous apps so you can add them one at a time to see which one is impacting the Security Settings.  I will put that off for now and hope the next update fixes this.  I do not want to set everything up again so soon after investing so much time doing so just these past two days.

firesafetybear
Contributor - Level 3

Sounds like Samsung and Verizon need to work on their double checking skills to make sure a device is flawless upon arrival.

0 Likes
Schiffon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spent 2.5 hours with with two different  VZW representatives. At first I thought the Twitter client I was attempting to install was the culprit. However extensive troubleshooting suggests  a

software and historical applications interface issue. I was the first Note 4 call for each representative and they were perplexed. This is my fourth Android device. Deciphering which of my many apps is the trigger would require a significant commitment. Although I am annoyed that the factory reset I did today did not resolve the problem, I was able to make sure my security is configured appropriately through safe mode. I am  cautiously optimistic that future updates may rectify the situation. The joys of being an early adopter!

0 Likes
HRA95035

I did not have any issue to get to security settings in the setting!

0 Likes