Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Samsung Note 10+ 5g (SM-N976V) from 2019 does not support 5G

stephenwang01

So I live in an area that have both Nationwide and Ultra 5g. 

I have a 2019 Note10+ 5g SM-N976v that I paid extra when it came out to  be ready for the 5g network. 

I am not getting any 5g and I called support multiple time and try to figure out the issue. 

The final answer from tech support is that the 2019 version does not get an update to support 5g, even though I paid extra for the 5g ready when it first came out. 

1. Do I pursue legal action for false advertising? 

2. Do I just say the heck with Verizon (after 20 years, when it was gte) and switch to different provider?

3. Do I abandon Samsung after 10+ years and sell my soul to Apple?

What do you guys think?

Re: Samsung Note 10+ 5g (SM-N976V) from 2019 does not support 5G

stephenwang01

Dug around more and found out this is a chipset issue, not firmware. 

Another words, there is no solution to this problem unless you upgrade your phone so it will support both Nationwide and Ultra (sub6 + mmWave 5G).

Since customer support nor tech support offered me any condolence or solutions (special discount or replacement) for false advertising, I am going to abandon ship and go with another mobile provider. 

Been fun Verizon. You were the best but not to me anymore. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

stephenwang01,

I definitely understand wanting the very best network. We value your loyalty and we don't want to see you go anywhere. I want to clear a few things up. The Note 10+ 5G absolutely does support 5G service on our 5G Ultra Wideband network. At the time that phone came out, 5G UW was the only 5G network we had announced.

The new Nationwide 5G network is an awesome network and we are working to bring it to as many devices as we can. Devices that only need an update to get it have that planned. Some older devices however don't have the technology needed to use that built into the phone. They were made in a time before that network was announced so there was no reason for the manufacturer to include that. 

We are still working to bring 5G UW to as many people as possible and we will continue to do so. Nothing has changed there. If you want to look at getting a phone that will support Nationwide 5G as well we can look at upgrade options, but this is a new network, the same way 5G UW was a new network from 4G LTE. With a new network, there will always be phones that don't work on them just like our 4G phones don't work on the 5G UW network. 

You mentioned that you should have 5G UW support in your area as well and aren't seeing that. What are your zip code and the nearest cross streets to that?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I am sorry you have decided to leave over this. There was never an intention to lie. The technology available at the time is what the device was announced for. Let us know if you have any questions. We are here for you. 
JavierD_VZW

0 Likes

RonaldReynoldsJr

I was lied to as well, this it totally false advertising! I'm going to consult a lawyer and find other people in this situation, seems like the perfect case for a class action lawsuit! 

stephenwang01

Count me in. The least they could do is to replace our phone with one that works.  If not, class action lawsuit is simple enough if we can get enough angry customer. Plus the consistent complaint and web post should warn other potential customer to stay away from Verizon. 

yyhk123

VZW uses mm wave 5G, so you have to be in a distance where you can be able to physically see the 5G network tower to use 5G. If you are not able to see it, you are either too far from the tower or 5G can't go through the walls or its too far.

also, you need 5G plan with 5G sim card in 5G area.

0 Likes

yyhk123

VZW uses mm wave 5G, so you have to be in a distance where you can be able to physically see the 5G network tower to use 5G. If you are not able to see it, you are either too far from the tower or 5G can't go through the walls or its too far.

also, you need 5G plan with 5G sim card in 5G area.

0 Likes

stephenwang01

Thanks for the reply but there are few corrections. 

Verizon has 2 different band. One for  Nationwide (Sub6) and the other is Ultra (mmWave). Nationwide is not sight specific but Ultra is (as mentioned by you). 

I have the most expensive plan with 5G included so it is not the plan. SIM card is the latest so it is not the SIM. 

The issue we have here is that my phone was sold with a chipset only for Ultra but it was never specified when you talk to sales person or technician at the time(They advertised it as a 5G phone that will work with their 5g network).  

Since Ultra is sight specific, it will probably never materialize in as a nation coverage because you can't be outside all day when you are steaming your 4k movie on you phone or playing a bandwidth intensive game 🙂 .

So, we are stuck with Nationwide coverage.  Which, by the way, it is only a bit faster than 4g and will never reach gigahertz speed. Again, false advertisement.

See where why the customers are leaving?

0 Likes

Chris520

You can count me in. They didn't tell me it was incompatible, they made me upgrade my plan , then said wait for a software update. So now I am paying more and waiting for an update that will never come. I feel totally deceived. First by the phone purchase, then by the plan upgrade. Shame on you Verizon!