Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
SNOOP1975
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rest assured, tk3765, you were not the only one having issues with this trade-in process. I too had the "flag" of an outstanding loan on my account when I tried to trade in my Note5 online. Started a few weeks ago. I finally called customer service, only to be told my billing cycle resets on October 7th so after the 7th all would be well and there would no longer be any type of flag on my account. So, October 7th rolls around. Guess what? You guessed it! That outstanding loan "flag" that was supposed to have been taken care of still popped up! Double-checked my account, everything is paid off.

Finally got a chance to call Verizon today. The first customer service agent, after trying everything she could (she was extremely helpful) finally transferred me to the trade-in department (looking back, this probably would have been the best department to be sent to in the beginning)! This lady (also very helpful) troubleshooted for a while and came to the realization that I would have to pay off my current bill (due November 2nd) to clear this "flag." So, I did what I have never done ***gasp*** and paid my monthly bill WAY early ***the horror***!! That worked like a charm and the trade-in request went through.

But you're right -- my Note5 is worth 480 dollars through Verizon's promo, but ONLY after 24 months (20 dollar credit a month). This is actually very smart on Verizon's part -- we are pretty much tethered to them for two years and we forfeit that credit for paying off our Note8 early. On a side note, the "market trade-in value" for my Note5 is only 140 dollars, so the promo through Verizon is a good one as I would never have received 480 dollars for my Note5 anywhere else!

It was an extremely long, drawn-out process to get here, but looking back to where this all started (with phones we didn't want after the whole Note7 fiasco), I guess I can't complain too much about the bumps I experienced along the way. I'm still dumbfounded that I paid off my monthly bill 24 days early!! lol

Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
CASSAUNDRA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just wanted to share my experience with this in case it helps anyone. I literally just got off the phone securing my upgrade (3:07PM EST 10/10/17) after finding online and these forums that it was being offered. My bill was past due a month, so to avoid any issues I went ahead and paid the past due balance just before I called. Not sure if this was necessary.

When I called I went through the prompts for an "Upgrade" and spoke to a Rep through those dialogs because it told me that I had to pay my device off in full or wait until this time next year. When I spoke to the rep she told me the same thing, even after explaining that others did the Note8 upgrade promotion. She had no idea what I was talking about and transferred me to a "Customer Service Representative".

When I got to the new rep(Kendra) she knew exactly what I was talking about and was able to find the promotion after a moment of searching. She said that a lot of people received an alert saying they were a part of this promotion because of their Note7 involvement, however, some did not, and I was one of those people. She reviewed my account and the promotion to make sure I was eligible. She said you had to be a Verizon customer who upgraded to the Note 7 using the device payment plan and then were forced to leave the Note 7. She also confirmed with her supervisor and came to the conclusion that I am eligible.

She said the process was that she would have to submit a form for a "Forced Device Buyout". She said it would take about 24 hours for my account to be updated at which time I could either go online or call back (to be extra sure it went right) to upgrade to the Note 8. She also said that she noted my account, because the buyout amount would appear on my next bill. She said hopefully by denoting the account that I would be automatically credited, but if not, I could just call back, ask the rep to read my account notes and get my account credited.

All in all once I got past the lower tier rep it was smooth sailing. So hopefully this helps some people with their upgrades.

JUPITER7MEDIA
Enthusiast - Level 2

In September there was a trade in promotion for galaxy note 5 phones...When the new note 8 was released i called Verizon (not the store) and was told of i paid off my old phone I could get the new note 8 for half of the price...I said thays a good deal sp I went tp the Verizon corporate store. The salesperson said that was correct ...i only owed $58.00 so i did the amount on my card and everything went through...Then I waa told I had to pay the state taxes also...wherever I have upgraded my phone it was always on the bill and I never paid that out of pocket. Amd I was never told by the corporate call center that needed to.be done and the salesperson didn't tell me that until after my card was charged. Needless to say I rold the salesperson I never had to do that and told him if I knew that i would have waited and paid off tje $58.00 on my 2 remaining bills. So I wwnt home and called the corporate call center and explained what happened. Tje person at tje call center said he would bring this up in the next meeting and TOLD ME the money would be refunded back to my card within 10 buisness days...on the 10th buisness day i called the corporate call center only to be given the runaround aboit how i paid the phone off and all they could do was to apply the amount to my bill because the refund was rejected. I was not notified about the refund rejection and basically was lied to, not informed and basically told we arw goinf to do wjat we want regardless of what we told you....amd I jave been a Verizon customer for well over 10 years and never been late on a bill...amd tjey dont want to really talk to you and do what they say

CASSAUNDRA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also should point out from my above response, that I switched to the new S7 from the Note7 when forced. So now I am upgrading to the Note8 from the S7.

0 Likes
gersong_vzw
Verizon Employee

I sincerely apologize for this experience, JUPITER7MEDIA. We value your time here with us, and this is not how we want our customers to feel. Our goal is for you to take advantage of all the available promotions. I would like to look into this further and get additional information on this matter. I have sent you a private message so we can continue working on this together.

GersonG_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thank in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

I had the same thought...wait until my bill paid...no go..flag is still there for the Edge.  I am battling full laryngitis at the moment so can't call in, but I am not giving up.  

tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

I'm glad it worked but the application of the eligibility you were told was incorrect.  I had paid for the 7 up front..no payment plan.

The applicability was simply for the 7 itself...if the customer bought one from Verizon they are eligible regardless of the payment option they chose.

JUPITER7MEDIA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't give up..I refuse to let them try to treat me any type of way when I

pay them and have paid them without any problems from me for 10+ years..

CASSAUNDRA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Final update. My process took a bit more work from my original post. My upgrade Wasn't actually posted the next day. I called the next day and was told it could actually take 24-48 hours. I was also given the direct number to the sales department if it hadn't processed today, it didn't, so I called. I spoke with someone who got it taken care of for me manually. She had to call Samsung to make sure they would pay for my buyout, they confirmed and she processed the forced buyout & my account was finally updated to upgrade eligible. She asked if I wanted her to submit the order for me, so I had her do it and I went to the local store to pick it up today.

tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

The plot thickens.  I was finally able to talk to CS yesterday..I actually had two issues, however, the issue with the trade-in may have a resolution date Smiley Happy.  The Trade-in department acknowledged the buyout payoff however, they also said it takes 30 days from the date of the payoff to process in the trade-in system.  In my case the buyout was 23 September so I have to try the process again on 23 October.

On a secondary note, watch your bill.  I was on the phone for over an hour yesterday trying to figure out how I went from a credit balance, which would have paid off my Nov bill, to owing about $400 more. CS rep couldn't figure out the problem as the credit/charges balance she was getting didn't match the bill amount so she had to elevate it to a supervisor for more research.  A charge appeared for the buyout agreement, which was already charged in order to get the upgrade alongside the credit to zero everything out, so I think the issue is that the buyout payments were charged twice.  Subtracting that extra charge would bring the bill down to where it is supposed to be.  Still waiting on the callback.  Additionally, my original credit paid off my Oct bill but the system is not showing an Oct payment was ever made.  Now, it could be because the payment was a credit and not paid from my bank account but the application of the credit isn't showing.