Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
Xtremelion81
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alot of problems here.....For one the note 7 had a annual upgrade since it was a "galaxy" device so we would be able to upgrade to the new one. ALSO if you trade in your phone to samsung then you are going to have to have that phone 100% paid off. I owe 400+ on my pixel xl and its has 100% pay off agreement. I cant just trade it to samsung and they give me trade in credit, the phone needs to be paid off.  UNLESS if you can trade it in then youre still liable for that payment agreement from verizon on the phone that you will trade into verizon.

Re: Previous Note 7 owners - how do we upgrade to the Note 8 without being penalized by Verizon?
CANWAS45
Enthusiast - Level 2

As a loyal Verizon customer, I am extremely disappointed in how they are handling the former Note 7 customers who wish to get out of devices they never wanted but were forced in to due to the Note 7 recall.

I called Samsung today for clarification on their offer, and also spoke to Verizon three times today (twice by phone, once via Facebook). What I can't seem to understand is why Verizon would offer a $480 trade-in (which they stipulate will be a bill credit over 24 months) instead of applying that $480 to the remaining device balance of those of us former Note 7 owners who are now seeking to upgrade to a Note 8. To me, that seems like the right thing to do. Penalizing your customers by making them pay to get out of phones they never wanted, all while you profit (from the device payoffs), is horrible customer service. I was told today that the $480 bill credit would make my monthly device payment $24 instead of $40. I'm currently paying $29/month for my device and told the representative I would gladly pay the additional $11/month to not have to come out of pocket $435 to pay off a device I did not upgrade to.

Samsung's offer is $425 instant trade-in, which they are applying to the cost of the phone, thus making our out of pocket expense around $530. We would then have to pay Verizon for whatever remaining device balance we have on our current phone. So anyone who chooses that option would be coming out of pocket near $1K all to get the phone they want.

Some things I was told by Verizon today: You had the option to use your old phone when the Note 7 was recalled. Well, that may be, but seeing as though I traded in my old phone FOR the Note 7, that wasn't an option. I was also reminded of their device policy that states device balances must be paid off in order to upgrade. I fully understand that as well, but the right thing to do would be to forgive those balances (or really, apply their $480 offer as I stated before) of those former Note 7 owners. That is a decision that is fully within Verizon's ability to change. I was also told that if I had the Note 7 and was looking to upgrade to the Note 8, I'd be in the same boat. But the fact of the matter is, most of us who had the Note 7 wouldn't be seeking an upgrade now if we still had that phone. This is only an issue because we couldn't keep the phone we upgraded for, and instead, many of us downgraded and are being charged for an upgrade. HA!

None of this was our (the customer's) fault, and I recognize it wasn't Verizon's either, but the way Verizon is handling this issue with its customers is going to cause you to lose business. Choosing profit over customer service/doing the right thing...well, that's not a good look.

cehogan483
Enthusiast - Level 3

But the annual upgrade program says that once you have paid off 50%, you can upgrade to a new phone as long as you return the phone that you are paying on and buy the new phone at its new full price.  So you were not going to get anything other than a new phone.  If you use Samsung, you are going to pay $425 less than full price...effectively paying off most of your phone with Verizon and then on top of that they will spread out the cost.

You are not losing much.  You pay Verizon what Samsung is giving you as a discount.  Under the upgrade program you wouldn't pay anything.  They cancel each other out.  The scam is the Verizon trade-in offer they are touting.

0 Likes
cehogan483
Enthusiast - Level 3

Now see, I completely agree with CANWAS45.  Verizon should, for Note 7 owners, either apply the $480 credit towards the upgrade purchase/device payoff or just erase the payoff amount if choosing the Note 8.

CANWAS45, just as a heads up, Samsung also offers the ability though to finance the $500 you would owe them across 24 months.  So while you would still have to pony up the payout amount to Verizon, you could then spread out the $500 across 24 months ($21 per month).

CANWAS45
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem with that is that the majority of us haven't yet reached the 50% mark, and instead of allowing us to pay the difference between that amount and what we've already paid, we're being charged the full payoff amount. It's just not the right way to handle cusomers who got [Removed]...by sticking it to us again.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

cehogan483
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exactly...nobody has because we were all forced to change 1-2 months after we got our phones.  And by the time we did that, the S7 and S7 Edge were not part of the annual upgrade program and Verizon didn't grandfather any of us into since we had bought Note 7's as part of the program.  The simplest thing for Verizon to do us right is to just program the system to recognize Note 7 owners and just offer to sell us the Note 8 at full price and we return the replacement we had selected and get that contract closed out.  I am just sticking it to Verizon by going thru Samsung and I will probably never buy straight from Verizon again...I will just use Samsung and then Verizon doesn't get that money because I will end up buying all my accessories and everything I need straight from Samsung in the future.  Maybe Verizon will wise up in the next couple days.  I am only giving them until Monday to change before I place my pre-order. 

mwweb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know that the note 7 debacle wasn't Verizon's fault, but they could, if they gave a [Removed], treat customers that got screwed decently. Instead, their basic response it [Removed] to be you. you were dumb enough to spend your money with us.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

valerie14432
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please follow this FB page - where we will not be censored and can have power in NUMBERS!   What Verizon & Samsung doing is NOT FAIR!!  Justice for Samsung Galaxy Note 7 customers - Home | Facebook

scottymo247
Enthusiast - Level 2

thats is the issue. When i called they told me the Note was on the Edge Up, but the phone I was forced to get (S7), was not, but should of been. That is what is causing the main issue is that alot of us just downgraded to another galaxy, and most samsung phones are not on the edge up plan. Of course this was never told to us, and if fact I was told that as soon as the Note 7 was fixed, i could just bring in my S7 and replace it...which obviously never happened. They are entirely wrong, and if you bithc at the enough, they will get you on the edge up plan and allow the exchange.

scottymo247
Enthusiast - Level 2

issue is if you go through Samsung and return your phone to them, you still have to pay off the remainder owed to Verizon, and also owe whatever you dont get back from Samsung trade in...and from what I can see, you dont get as much back from Samsung (only max of 300 for note, and 200 for S7, and that is off the retail price of the Note 😎