Paying taxes and upgrade fee?
shatch2203
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I started with a Note 7, and when it first got recalled, I exchanged it in store for an S7 Edge until the new Note 7 came out. No fees, no problem. When the replacement Note 7 came out, I was able to exchange the S7 Edge for it, and only paid the difference in sales tax between the two phones, around $8. Now, since I apparently have to switch phones again, I'm being told that I have to pay a $20 upgrade fee, plus the full sales tax on the other phone I'm getting, and that it will be credited later to my account. That's great, but I don't have a spare $85 laying around to do that. Since I'm returning the Note 7, shouldn't the amount I've already paid be credited right away? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do in the meantime until I have enough extra money in my bank account to cover however long it takes. Is this really the only option? I understand it's not Verizon's fault that the phones are going bad, but it's not mine either! I already resigned myself to eating the cost of the expensive screen protector and case I bought for it, but I can't also pay these fees and wait for a credit. Any options?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Paying taxes and upgrade fee?
shawntej_vzw
Verizon Employee

mehaffb,

This surely isn't the experience we want for you when trying to exchange your device. Having to go through this multiple times isn't fun, however, the issues with the device were absolutely unforeseen. This still does not account for your experience and receipt of conflicting information when reaching out to us for us. You do in fact have the option to return or exchange your device at a Verizon owned store if you purchased it directly from us in store or online. If performing an exchange in store, no additional upgrade fee will be charged, you'll only be responsible for any tax differences. If you opt for the exchange online, the upgrade fee and taxes will be charged, but you will be refunded for the original fee and taxes when we've received your Note 7 in return.

We'd like to submit feedback regarding your store experience though. What store did you visit? Do you recall the representative's name that assisted you?

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

mehaffb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here.  It is trying to charge me 74.81. I can't afford that. I already pay almost 300.00 a month for my phone bill. 

shatch2203
Enthusiast - Level 1

I talked to customer service, who said the fees and taxes from the note 7 would be refunded once the phone gets back to Samsung. Which makes a little sense, except that they said the same applies if i take it back to a store. If I'm physically returning it, shouldn't that be applied to the new phone right then? It's a shame, because I really do love this stupid phone, lol.

HARRISJP_IT
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also wondering about this. I am in my cart and since I two of these dang phones to replace the taxes alone are about $140.00. Really want to know if the refund happens for sure before I go through with ordering a new phone via the link they sent this afternoon.

princeshoko
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yup mine wants a  $20 upgrade fee and $96 taxes.   I was told  that my original upgrade fee and taxes would be issued in a week.      But I never paid an upgrade fee before,   didn't get a response to that one.     I dont have a spare more then a C note laying around.

Bad form Verizon

mehaffb
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I swapped from the n7 to tge s7e back to the n7 in store I didn't have to pay anything other than the difference in tax between the two phones.  This is unnacceptable.  I spoke with 3 phone reps yesterday and got 3 different answers.  In store was worse the guy guy was rude and sent me away.  Corporate store refused to do a return.  I was told I can only do it through the note7 faq recall process. I can't affford to pay an upgrade fee and taxes again.

Braves10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have emailed both the Samsung executive team and the CEO office. I don't understand how the burden is being placed on the consumer. The verizon reps pretty much told me I'm stuck with the note 7 until i can front the money. Not sure how this is acceptable on any level. I bought this phone at a verizon corporate store, i should be able to get my money back at a corporate store and not have to wait however long it will take for a refund.

HARRISJP_IT
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, so here is my experience so far. I was able to get a technician on chat and on the phone at the same time. I posed the same questions. When does the refund happen? What is the process of returning my phone? What fees can be removed to make it easier on me?

Getting someone on the phone is by far the better way to go. She told me that the refund, as we now mostly know, happens once the phone is returned to them. What the refund covers includes your taxes and fees when you purchased the Note7 as well as the payment you made down on it for the one or two months you owned it. That would be the $36 dollars per month.

When you purchase the new phone, which she was able to help me do, be sure to get the upgrade fee waived that will save you $20 per device you need to swap out. I had 2 of them so it saved me $40. However you will still need to pay the state sales tax. I understand that this seems pretty dumb, but I get it. Verizon is not the company at fault for manufacturing a faulty device, they have to take each Note7 they get back and then turn around and get the money from Samsung presumably to then reimburse us. And that is the reason for the delay in seeing the refund.

When my new phone arrives it should include packing slips and a box to return my phone. If you would rather do this in store I was told they can ship it for you too. This struck me as odd since a few weeks ago the store told me that the Note7's were not able to be shipped because the shipping companies did not want to transport them.

Anyways, I hope this information helps!

rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

Good thing you called and got some on the phone to reverse the upgrade charges. The online chat could not assist. So had to pony up the upgrade and taxes. Will watch my bill carefully. This is a simple online accounting fix but the decision makers forget how difficult it is for some to fork the upfront payments repeatedly. A case of afluenza. Come to love that term.

0 Likes
shawntej_vzw
Verizon Employee

mehaffb,

This surely isn't the experience we want for you when trying to exchange your device. Having to go through this multiple times isn't fun, however, the issues with the device were absolutely unforeseen. This still does not account for your experience and receipt of conflicting information when reaching out to us for us. You do in fact have the option to return or exchange your device at a Verizon owned store if you purchased it directly from us in store or online. If performing an exchange in store, no additional upgrade fee will be charged, you'll only be responsible for any tax differences. If you opt for the exchange online, the upgrade fee and taxes will be charged, but you will be refunded for the original fee and taxes when we've received your Note 7 in return.

We'd like to submit feedback regarding your store experience though. What store did you visit? Do you recall the representative's name that assisted you?

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport