OpenVPN Connect gets stuck on the Connection request pop-up on the Verizon Note9
jdrch
Enthusiast - Level 2

OpenVPN Connect gets stuck on the Connection request dialog on the Verizon Note9 when I'm trying to connect to my VPN. While I can tap Cancel in the screenshot below, I can't tap OK, even when I use a mouse:

I can't tap OK for some reasonI can't tap OK for some reason

I tried connecting to the same VPN using OpenVPN Connect on my Galaxy S5 running LOS 16.1 and it worked, so I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the Note9. Ideas?

Stock, unrooted: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note9 512/8 | LOS, rooted: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 16/1
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: OpenVPN Connect gets stuck on the Connection request pop-up on the Verizon Note9
jdrch
Enthusiast - Level 2

LOL why are you so mad?

I resolved the issue this morning with Samsung Tech Support. Workaround is to use a Bluetooth keyboard to tab to the OK button, then hit Enter.

Surprise surprise, forum tough guy turns out to be wrong about everything 😂😂😂 OpenVPN works just fine on stock, unmodified devices. Take this L and have a nice day ✌

Stock, unrooted: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note9 512/8 | LOS, rooted: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 16/1

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: OpenVPN Connect gets stuck on the Connection request pop-up on the Verizon Note9
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jdrch, I am sorry to learn that you are having trouble with establishing the VPN connection. We understand that this is very important. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have already taken. Have you ever gotten this to work on the Note 9 before? Can you check to ensure the software is up to date http://spr.ly/6600EmynQ

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
jdrch
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone's up to date.

Actually the issue appears to affect all VPN apps, not just OpenVPN. I can't tap the OK button in that pop-up dialog to connect to any of them at all.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Yeah it worked on your ROOTED device which should tell you something. By the way talking about rooting is not allowed here. People use VPN to bypass the video throttle so perhaps Verizon is finally cracking down so the network isn't ruined for everyone.

0 Likes
jdrch
Enthusiast - Level 2
worked on your ROOTED device which should tell you something

1. VPNs are supported without root on Android

2. The VPN apps I've tried don't require root permissions

3. The VPN apps I've tried didn't request root permissions (on rooted devices, apps have to explicitly request root and the user has to approve it. Apps don't automatically have root permissions just because they're running on a rooted device)

talking about rooting is not allowed here

That's odd, because you're the one who mentioned it. I didn't. The "rooted" thing you saw is my forum signature, not in my post content. I didn't mention or ask anything about rooted or rooting.

Verizon is finally cracking down

1. They've stated in the past that they don't block VPN traffic

2. Given that many customers depend on VPNs to connect with their work networks on the go, blocking VPN traffic would not make much sense

3. I'm actually using the VPN to be able to access my home network while I'm out of the house. That way I can troubleshoot stuff before I get home

4. The S5 I mentioned the VPN working on did so on a mobile hotspot run by my Verizon Note9, so if Verizon were blocking VPN traffic it wouldn't have worked at all.

I really think you could have been more helpful by asking what I'm trying to do instead of slinging accusations at me. I'm just trying to access my home network on the go using OpenVPN - which is quite normal on unrooted Android - on a stock Verizon Samsung Note9.

0 Likes
jdrch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: apparently this is a known issue on Samsung Android devices; OpenVPN VPN apps need to request Device Administrator permissions (the 2 main ones on the Play Store don't.) For reference, see:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79467666&postcount=24

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9-S9/VPN-is-broken-in-Galaxy-S9/td-p/707252/page/2

Here's what we need to do:

Users:

1. Request here that the Device Administrator feature be added to OpenVPN for Android.
  2. File a support ticket with OpenVPN requesting the Device Administrator feature. Rate the priority Critical and reference Ticket ID #OVP-438-18981 when you do so.

Verizon:

Kindly insist Samsung enable OpenVPN apps to run on their devices without having to request Device Administrator permissions.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@jdrch wrote:
worked on your ROOTED device which should tell you something

1. VPNs are supported without root on Android

2. The VPN apps I've tried don't require root permissions

3. The VPN apps I've tried didn't request root permissions (on rooted devices, apps have to explicitly request root and the user has to approve it. Apps don't automatically have root permissions just because they're running on a rooted device)

talking about rooting is not allowed here

That's odd, because you're the one who mentioned it. I didn't. The "rooted" thing you saw is my forum signature, not in my post content. I didn't mention or ask anything about rooted or rooting.

Verizon is finally cracking down

1. They've stated in the past that they don't block VPN traffic

2. Given that many customers depend on VPNs to connect with their work networks on the go, blocking VPN traffic would not make much sense

3. I'm actually using the VPN to be able to access my home network while I'm out of the house. That way I can troubleshoot stuff before I get home

4. The S5 I mentioned the VPN working on did so on a mobile hotspot run by my Verizon Note9, so if Verizon were blocking VPN traffic it wouldn't have worked at all.

I really think you could have been more helpful by asking what I'm trying to do instead of slinging accusations at me. I'm just trying to access my home network on the go using OpenVPN - which is quite normal on unrooted Android - on a stock Verizon Samsung Note9.

YOU brought up having a rooted device. And as I said that's a big no no here. Also I did not accuse you of anything. If you automatically assumed that well then maybe that says something. Sorry my FREE( meaning I'm not getting paid but am taking my valuable time out of my day to help) advice wasn't up to your standards.

0 Likes
jdrch
Enthusiast - Level 2

LOL why are you so mad?

I resolved the issue this morning with Samsung Tech Support. Workaround is to use a Bluetooth keyboard to tab to the OK button, then hit Enter.

Surprise surprise, forum tough guy turns out to be wrong about everything 😂😂😂 OpenVPN works just fine on stock, unmodified devices. Take this L and have a nice day ✌

0 Likes