Note 9 software update on metered WIFI cost me $$$
Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’m abroad and I have a portable WIFI which on my note 9 is set as metered. I was surprised that my note automatically downloaded firmware update over metered connection!!! On unbranded firmware I get choice to download now or later but Verizon modified Note 9 firmware does not obey metered connection which costed me $$$. This should be fixed because the vanilla firmware does not do that, but Verizon modified firmware can cost you $$$ on metered WIFI.

I only use  my Verizon note 9 with WIFI for WIFI calling abroad.

I hope Verizon will fix their firmware.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 9 software update on metered WIFI cost me $$$
bearone21
Legend

not a chance, when you add an app, verizon/samsung have no responsibility to make sure the app works the way it's advertised by the developer.

btw:

auto updates is a choice you made + you selected all updates with wi-fi only.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

sorry but verizon has no obligation to ensure your workaround wi-fi capability when you're broad.

Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’m not saying about any obligations… anywhere on the planet. I’m saying if Verizon modifies Samsung firmware by replacing original Samsung’s firmware update with their own they should make it work the same way and obey metered data connections. My previous carrier also modified the Samsung’s firmware but it was obeying metered data connections.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

not a chance, when you add an app, verizon/samsung have no responsibility to make sure the app works the way it's advertised by the developer.

btw:

auto updates is a choice you made + you selected all updates with wi-fi only.

0 Likes
Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

bearone21

I dont think you understand what I wrote, I'm not talking about adding app. Verizon modified Samsung Note 9 firmware update with their own removing options for auto update and wifi only option  also their version of auto update does not obay metered data connection what original auto updater does. All the option I'm given is instal now or later no option for download like original firmware does download is automatic without asking for permission. Verizon is thedeveloper who made it I would like to see them fixing that unless you tell me that they dont care about their own product

Auto update is not a choise I made when it downloads it automatically on metered data connection without asking download now or later

0 Likes
melissap_vzw
Verizon Employee

Leggi, We are saddened to hear the timing of your software update on your Galaxy S9 was so unfortunate. We appreciate your feedback and will lift it up to Samsung for consideration in future updates.

Melissa_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

does this work in the us or is it just an issue with you being out of country??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that we are on the same page. We are in no way shape or form are the developer for the software on Samsung devices. We disseminate the Software Updates through our services, but otherwise, we do not have a direct impact in its inner workings. We can lift this concern to Samsung or you can contact them at 800-726-7864 or by using the link provided here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact . Our product is the services that you use to connect Samsungs product to others through data, talk, and text.

FranklinM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Leggi
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is firmware update auto download. This probably is not a problem in USA (as long as you are not using your friend’s Wifi shared from his smartphone in places where Verizon does not have the network) but if you are abroad and you use portable Wifi device (which a popular) which can have a data limits like 1GB, the auto firmware update download becomes a problem because this update can be anywhere between couple meg to 4GB and you have no way of controlling that. I also have Galaxy S7 unbranded with Samsung stock Android 8 firmware and this firmware allows me to have the control over firmware download. The Verizon firmware only inform me that the firmware update if ready to install from which point I can only delay installation.

So the way of controlling large download can be:
Select metered connection
Uncheck auto download

The two above does not apply To Verizon Note 9

Couple pictures:

Note 9 Verizon firmware with my metered/ restricted network settings:

3.jpg

IMG_20181114_155844.jpg

15425862455875032632156478882447.jpg

As seen above I got notification that the firmware is ready to install there is no option to control auto download.

Below is my unbranded Galaxy S7 which allows me some control of the firmware download:

1.jpg

2.jpg

In my case I was abroad and I had two Note 9 connected to portable Wifi device and both of them automatically download the firmware without any initiation/permission.

I’m software engineer myself and I understand the need and benefits of updates. But in this case we need a solution to delay firmware update. The ones that I know is metered connection or like my unbranded Galaxy S7 does it gives me button to start download.

0 Likes
THarbold
Enthusiast - Level 3

FranklinM_VZW - that's pretty much an outright lie.  You clearly have plenty of say and impact on the sofware and it's 'inner workings'.  I am pretty sure Samsung never said "Gee, we should make sure the Verizon customers can't use Samsung Cloud, it's certainly better for them to have pay Verizon for a copycat version of the same thing." ..... no, Verizon demanded and controlled what is in the image built for their branded phones. 

Stop trying to blame Samsung for everything, it's not attractive. 

(PS - Yes, I actually do know how firmware is created. No, I am not making this stuff up.)

0 Likes