Note 7 in store pre-order status
mrbrooks418
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had pre-ordered a Note 7 and went to pick it up at the store today. They told me even though it is mine, I could not have it and they couldn't even activate it even if they wanted to. What is to happen now? I've waited weeks to get the phone. How long will it take for them to receive a replacement for my order? and will it be a brand new phone or a refurbished phone?

0 Likes
Re: Note 7 in store pre-order status
pherson
Champion - Level 1

According to the Samsung press release, it will be replaced with a new device. Besides it's only been out a few weeks. Highly doubt there is a refurb floating around.

0 Likes
mrbrooks418
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know its only been out for a few weeks. But if you think about it they are claiming on the web site that they are out of stock. Who is to say they are not taking the entire on hand inventory (and received recalled units) and refurbishing them with new batteries.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

That's irrational and highly unlikely. The stock on hand would still be new. It would be like your dealer having a new car on the lot but the battery died or drained and it was replaced. As far as the few units that come back in (and I say few because most have said that they don't have the issue and wanna keep their phones, and Samsung is NOT requiring you to return it) they wouldn't dare re-release them in the wild.

0 Likes
mrbrooks418
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand what you are saying but, changing a battery on a car is a lot less intrusive than on a fragile sealed glass phone . I don't understand why it was not isolated to a certain lot of phones. Like by IMEI or serial numbers. Why blanket the recall to all units.

Ford just had a recall on their diesel Transit vans like 2 weeks ago. Simple fuel pump swap fixes it (under $1,000 and like 2 hours work). Now if it goes unfixed, at any time the fuel pump fails and introduces metal shaving throughout the fuel system. Now the entire fuel system, pumps, injectors fuel lines and all needs to get replaced ($15,000 and 15 hours work). They discovered it and sent a bulletin a year after the trucks were sold, and the build dates spread over like a 8 month period. But they new exactly which units we affected by the vin numbers.

It should be that simple for them. You don't think they are going to toss all of the defective phones out. They will rebuild them. And if they for some reason isolate the affected phones, they will request phones that customers did not want to part with or voluntarily swap out. They will be very concerned with possible lawsuits / liability of personal injury or property damage.

mrbrooks418
Enthusiast - Level 2

And rebuild is what they did......