Re: Note 7 Recall
Yomat

So far only T-Mobile is doing this, and that's only accessories people purchased through T-Mobile.

0 Likes
PHIBON33
Enthusiast - Level 2

So Verizon will waive the restock fee if returned/exchanged for another phone by 9/30.  But what if I want to exchange for a verified 'good' new Note7 when those become available?  If new production with quality control confirmation resumes, and Verizon will restock and exchange for 'good' phones, I'd rather wait for a Note7 swap then exchange for some other phone.  It'd be nice to know if Verizon would honor that type of exchange beyond 9/30, when the good Note7 is available.

1179NISHA
Enthusiast - Level 3

id rather do that too.

1179NISHA
Enthusiast - Level 3

I knew I read it somewhere but will that be the case with the big red as well?

0 Likes
NLR80
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called Verizon today, 9/02/2016 at 1:20PM (PST) and yes, Verizon will replace your current Note7, in-store for a cell phone of your choice; equal value or less with NO additional charges. I also asked if I waited out till the Note7 replacement phones are released by Samsung; could I do this as well. As of right now, yes; Verizon will still honer the recall and will except the exchange once the new Note7's have been released and received by Verizon.

Verizon is not certain if it will be mail-in or in-store once these replacement phones are released and sent to Verizon. Most likely will be excepted in-store.

If you are like me; planing on keeping the phone till more guidance is given and the replacements are released (hopefully - a week or two), just keep mind-full while charging your Note7. I advise maybe charge your phone in hour charges and not wait till the phone's battery is dead.

I waited out on my time to be able to exchange my Galaxy S6 for this Note7, and I'm not about to give it up!

Good luck everyone!

-Nick

JOHHAM55
Contributor - Level 1

Those are my thoughts exactly! I waited for this phone and i would like to trade it for another Note 7

wayne88
Contributor - Level 1

After talking to Verizon on the phone, I was told that we could return the phones (by mail or at corporate store) and the restocking fee would be waived. You can either exchange the phone for a lesser phone (all are lesser at this point.....I assume for lesser monthly payments). Not mentioned, is the possibility of returning the Note 7 and using a device that you already have. In that way I don't have to pay the monthly cost of a slightly less expensive phone like the S7 Edge. It also makes me and those like me free agents with no device payments until the Note 7 is corrected. This gives us the chance to go back to other carriers or stay with Verizon. This also gives those of us who missed out on the Buy One Get One promotions (Best Buy or Costco for example) a second crack at it.

0 Likes
jimmyzoso
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got off the phone with Samsung and Verizon. Verizon's stock is sold out and honestly, I wouldn't have trusted that these were the 'good' ones unless if they were able to trace a date code concerning the defective batteries. In the supply chain world, those units were already done a long time ago.

Both are clueless regarding this recall, eg the cause, how to determine a defective phone, when replacements will be available, the $25 gift card and who will cover what including accessories.

The initial call was with Samsung who then pointed me to Verizon. Verizon said they were out of stock and the only option was to exchange for a different phone. Or I wait because Samsung has not advised when/ if replacements will be provided.

TMobile's offer seems to be the best and on par with Samsung's. Verizon has the least to offer with only an exchange. So tired of Verizon being the most expensive with always the least to offer. I've been on the fence of going to Tmobile for a while, anyhow not relevant to go more into this here.

This is an inconvenience, but it has just officially been announced and they need to iron out the details. Though from the first incident, they've had plenty of time to figure this out while they were investingating the root cause.

The part that infuriated me was Samsung's and Verizon's irresponsibility of the process. Samsung did not go through a standard recall process, ie US Consumer Safety Product Commission. This requires we, consumers, 1. first know about this recall and 2. why/ cause & effect and what to do.

I found out from Verizon's customer service rep that Verizon does not intend to email/ notify customers with this device. I got lucky that a friend notified me and I've been following this since yesterday.

SAMSUNG and VERIZON: even though this is about a 0.1% occurrence (~35 devices reported), this is a critical one - causing harm or injury to a person. A notice should be going out to owners immediately so there is awareness and transparency of the issue. Couple this with the issues of defective USB-C cables (of multiple companies, haven't heard of Samsung having this issue), and you may have more unnecessary occurrences that may lead to injury or fire.

As a person who's extensive experience is in product development, this is disappointing and being executed poorly. This isn't something I would have expected from two giant corporations as these.

If safety is truly your concern, awareness is first.

At this point, there has been no extensive outreach from either Samsung or Verizon, no explanation of the root cause, or date codes or serial numbers that can help those figure out if they have a defective device.

And Verizon, to have a rep say there will be no email or letter going out to customers who own the device and that it will only be mentioned on the website is ridiculous due to the potential harm this may do to a person carrying the phone, one's home, or to one's children. There's not even a mention of it on your home page.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Ok, let's be rational here. Any device has the capability to get hot/explode/etcetera. I'll just leave that here. I don't see any irrational acts on any of the companies. They found the flaw, it takes to work on a fix; but they ARE fixing it.

As far as notification, no one has to send you an email. What about those who choose NOT to opt in to emails from companies? This has been talked about online and it's on the news now. It's no need to do an "we interrupt this broadcast for a special report." People would panic and be in mass hysteria, over.....a....phone.

Each company is handling it differently. All are allowing returns and exchanges, and honestly there may be nothing wrong with yours. It's gonna take time for a replacement. You even can activate an older device if you feel THAT strongly about it.

Its an electronic device. Goodness.

0 Likes
jimmyzoso
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's an electronic device with a known defect that can potentially explode.

Yes, any LiIon powered device can explode depending on the design and safety mechanisms in the circuit, however the known occurrences are due to an acknowledged battery defect, announced by Samsung.

There are standard processes, for example the airbag recall from Honda, where the company makes an asserted effort to notify customers. With the official attempt as a letter to the customer, not an email.

You should Google cell phone battery injury to see the extent of the harm these devices can cause. I am not stating that these phones will cause these injuries, but I'm saying the potential harm should not be taken lightly, either.

Companies can track the BOM via serial numbers and should be able to identify which units have the defective battery.

I'm not promoting hysteria. I'm pointing out that the potential harm one of these devices can do should not be under-estimated and these companies should be more proactive on bringing awareness. Again I did not know until a friend reached out to me. Thank goodness for the press.

Unfortunately I do not own my older device as it was part of the tradein deal.

FYI, Sprint is offering a similar device (borrower phone) until replacements arrive.