Note 5 android 6 update
ledjo878
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. When will be available to download android 6 for note 5 from software update assistant? ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 5 android 6 update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

smolkowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't do it!! 

Verizon should have never released the Marshmallow update (6.0.1).  I updated my phone and can no longer access the internet from wi-fi.  Smart phones are pretty much useless without the internet, unless you want to use your data plan for all access.  Others are reporting significant battery drain.  I've searched the internet (on my PC, of course) and no solutions have worked.  There are many guesses out there, and most are no help.  I have not reset my phone (i.e., factor reset) because (a) that's a stupid "solution" and (b) it has not worked for others.  The only other "fix" I have not tried is "replace your phone."  For more, see the post "Note 5 Marshmallow update disaster." 

There do seem to be some nice features with the Marshmallow update, but it's hard to use them when it pretty much disables your access to the internet. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there smolkowski. I know how important Wi-Fi is, and rely on it regularly myself. What happens when you try to connect to Wi-Fi? What happens when you try to access a Wi-Fi network?
LeoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smolkowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can connect to wi-fi but cannot get internet services.  Sometimes I get an authentication error with wi-fi, which never happened before.  Usually, however, it will reconnect if I just tap on the wi-fi network from the settings.  But even when wi-fi remains connected, the internet connection fails.  It fails on multiple routers and services (e.g., home x 2, work x 2, coffee shops), so the routers and providers do not seem to be the source of the problem.

Wi-fi does work correctly in safe mode.  In fact, when I boot in normal mode, it works for about a minute, while other apps continue to load.  Then the phone loses internet.  I have tried to disable apps that I know start up (Lux, Kaspersky security software, Gsam battery monitor, etc.) but wi-fi still fails.  It may be an internal system process or Google-, Samsung-, or Verizon-installed app that causes the loss of internet connection, but it would have to be one that does not load in safe mode. 

0 Likes
ennol
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ledjo878 Yes the update is out now for the note 5. There are some that are having problems with wifi, charging and other issues after the update, as you will see on this forum.

But in contrast, I and others have had a good experience with the 6.01 update. I have had no battery, no wifi, no blue tooth or charging issues. I had to make some adjustments to some apps and update a few of them to work with MM, but the app developers had updates for them. But all of my current apps, wifi, current router's, and everything works the same as it did before.

But as with any OS update there is always a risk, and you as a user can take that risk or not.I have never had any issues with OTA OS updates from Verizon with the many years I have been with them. Now this is my experiences and I am willing to share it. I know that there are others who have not had this experience, and I am feel bad they had an negative experience. So @ledjo878 it is always your choice in taking the update. Good luck with what ever choice you take.

bearone21
Legend

mine was a perfect download/install with everything working that was working before the update.

ii posted a comment mar 4th after the install.

0 Likes
kenyaone
Enthusiast - Level 3

No its not out

I have Verizon note 5, SM N920V and when connected shows that my phone is up to date.  Software version ends with OJ3.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure you can connect to WiFi is paramount to managing your data usage, smolkowski. Let's work together and figure out what is causing this. I am glad you tried to use the device in Safe Mode to ensure it was working. When something is working in Safe Mod that tells us that there is an application that is causing the issue. Are all of your applications up to date? Was it working properly prior to the software update?

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
kenyaone
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi  VZW support.  Can you please tell us what is going on with the marshmallow update through software update assistant? To date, well over a month since the update began there is nothing through update assistant for those of us using Verizon note 5.  Will this update be forthcoming or not? Also there are important security updates that others on Verizon have got but are not available through update assistant.  This compromises our  online security.  What is going on.  We need answers.  Thanks.