Re: Next Closest Equivalent to Note7
rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

Only 32GB, no SD storage and no pen.  The larger memory model too expensive. Dont like clouds never trusted them. too many times corps have said trust us and then sold out (reference senate testimonies under immunity by telecom execs). Everything else about Pixel is good, but nothing close to Note7. My preference is for S8+ or the possible Note8 next year.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not willing to pay extra for the 128 GB model then? Here I thought every time someone purchased a iPhone 7 128 GB for the same price was loco. Oh guess what they are a hit and sell out and the Pixel phones are the same price as iPhone and the 128 GB Pixels are sold out too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tc2013
Contributor - Level 1

Same here.... external memory (mirco sd card) is a must-have for me.

Since the smartphone inception days, I've been having 4 generations of cellphone photo albums on my phone, transferring from older ones to new ones on a bi-yearly basics by moving the physical memory cards. (Currently about 150GB+)

I think most ppl had changed their usage habit of not using any digital-camera or DSLR these days; it was so crazy convenient to have years of photos on your palm (phone) to share with any family members, anywhere, anytime. 

...unless the cloud storage cost is significantly dropped, otherwise, it's still to expensive for yet another monthly payment to our fixed household-income.

tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

In my case I like the further backup to the local storage as I found out, when I upgraded to my Note 4 two years ago, that the Cloud didn't backup all of my content properly.  Fortunately, in my IT and phone upgrade paranoia state that I possess Smiley Happy, I had the full contents backed up to my PC prior to activating the 4 so I was able to fill in the holes left by the Cloud.  I would have lost some 20 contacts if I hadn't done the backup to my PC and at the time, most were critical for work.

I don't completely trust the Cloud as yet.  Security can still be iffy at times and the experience with an incomplete backup just has me a little wary to rely on it 100%.

rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

Since you ask - I grant you the 128GB should cost more than the 32GB but Google has 128GB Pixel XL priced same as Note 7. So for me the equation to resolve is:

Pixel XL (128GB) without S-Pen == Note7 with 64GB and expandable with external SD.

It does not work for me maybe because I have quantities of high performance micro SD cards in 32GB, 64Gb and 128GB denominations sitting in my storage bin.

I have enormous respect for Google and the designers there. But their decision to drop the external storage is a head scratcher, more so after Samsung's experience with Note5 and criticism they faced.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

rgang50 wrote:

their decision to drop the external storage is a head scratcher,

Not really.   Google is all about the cloud, so it makes perfect sense they designed a phone to fit that vision. 

0 Likes
rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

Agreed, but you dont see me buying into that logic for a variety of reasons. Consequently, I question the wisdom of consumer product design based solely on corporate vision while ignoring public opinion, specially the results of a similar past experiment (Note5) and its critiques.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

And what about the "grand experiments" known as the iPhone, Nexus 6, 5x, 6p, Moto X models, various Galaxy S models, etc etc? All of those came with a set amount of storage without the ability to expand the memory.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

Spot on Ann154, they all form the sample population from which to draw the next design clue. If we were to list the numbers who favor the ext storage facility why ignore them when one could have easily incorporated that requirement to give the product wider appeal.

tc2013
Contributor - Level 1

i doubt if anyone here ever experienced the limitation of "cloud storage", especially if you're away from the States and out of the country with no LTE nor WiFi.  It's too hard to share all those memorable videos to friends and families while visiting them overseas, but without any international data-plan or free wifi.

Eg. in rural area of Europe, free wifi was not easy to get.

...so, to avoid further limitation, i would think "external memory" being a must-have for ppl like me.