Re: New Note 4 marshmallow Update issues
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless doesn't touch the code if it can be fixed with the update. Only Samsung can correct the code.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
l5858
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann154 - You are missing the point.  I don't care one iota who touches the code...I want someone to take responsibility and drive to a solution,  The solution is beyond what Users/Customers like myself can fix because we can't get to the root of the problem with the data/access we have.   As a customer it is incumbent on Verizon (as the seller of phone and service) and on their vendor (Samsung who made the HW/SW) to get this fixed.

By the way, given the Verizon bloatware I see included, if Verizon didn't touch the code, they at least had involvement in its update, distribution, and approvals along the way (including supposed testing)...and thus at least some responsibility to me as their customer.   

GEMINI453
Enthusiast - Level 3

ANN, you are completely missing the point as we have already discussed this. VZW has to acknowledge the problem and inform Samsung so THEY can work to fix the known issues. Right now, those of us who need our battery to last more than a few hours and need our bluetooth, have very expensive paper weights.

VZW has STILL not even acknowledged the problem. Notice how not a single moderator has posted in here answering our questions. That is completely unacceptable. To them, it is easier to ignore us than it is to actually try to help us. Or they give us some automatic response like "have you tried restarting your phone" kind of non sense. They need to stop treating us like we are [removed], READ OUR POSTS and what we have ALREADY tried, and actually DO something about it.

Until they answer our questions, I will be posting on here every single day until they tell us how they are going to fix these problems....

STILL waiting for a response, is anyone there????

Profanity removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The point is Verizon doesn't have to communicate with the manufacturer at all. Any where else in the world, these types of issues are handled between the consumer and the manufacturer. The wireless service providers is completely hands off for device issues.

One, the Moderators won't respond to the post other than to moderate them.

Two If you are referring to the VZW reps that roam this community, it sometimes can take a few days before they respond and likely their only response will be they have no information about an update. And you have had at least one of the VZW reps that have already responded to this thread.

If you have a problem with the hardware and software, shouldn't you be contacting the manufacturer of said device? In this case, that is Samsung not Verizon.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
The_Sim
Contributor - Level 1

Under settings - > battery control panel, go to the menu item 'optimize

battery usage'. Make sure it is enabled for all possible apps listed there

(I saw there is one called 'Samsung accessories' or something like that)

0 Likes
l5858
Enthusiast - Level 3

The_Sim - Tried what you suggested, However all of my apps that can be optimized are being optimized except the Samsung app you mentioned. I turned on the optimization...and will see if it does anything noticeable.

0 Likes
GEMINI453
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've already tried this, every single app is already optimized. It didn't help and does nothing for the bluetooth problems.

I have reached out to Samsung, but I haven't heard anything from them either. To say that Verizon shares no responsibility in making sure the software on their phones works properly is ridiculous. As someone already mentioned, Verizon either has Samsung install all of their bloatware for them or they do it themselves. Who knows, maybe the software/apps that Verizon has added is the problem??

In the end, VZW is responsible to make sure their devices work properly. If their vendor of their phones (Samsung) has provided software that has bugs or problems, VZW has a shared responsibility to make sure it gets fixed. The idea that only the end user (myself and others) are supposed to get Samsung to fix the problem is again, ridiculous.

ANN, if there was any merit to what you are suggesting, why hasn't VZW come out and said the same thing? Why aren't they responding and saying "its a samsung problem, get them to fix it"???

Regardless, I've called VZW and they agree there is a problem but at this point they think its a hardware problem (wrong). They are sending me a new phone. I figured why not try it, what do I have to lose. Others have already reported that they got a replacement phone but the problem is still there with the replacement. This makes obvious sense since its again a software problem and sending out new hardware with the same broken software will not fix the problem. I told the guy that if the replacement has the same problem that they need to admit that the software is the issue.

I'll report back when I get it but I'm willing to bet a steak dinner that the replacement will have the EXACT same problem (which others have already reported).

Annoyed as ........

0 Likes
GEMINI453
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe if I get them to send out replacement after replacement after replacement they will get the clue that it is the SOFTWARE that is the problem and they will actually DO something about it....

0 Likes
SPARKEY949

Since the Marshmallow OS update, my phone has become unacceptably slow.

An UPDATE is supposed to be an improvement upon the previous version, nothing could be further from the truth.

Before you make suggestions, I have Wiped Cache, Wiped Dalvek Cache and did Factory Reset. Cache wipe yielded slight improvement, but is short lived. Device is original and not tampered with, not ROOTED, not UNLOCKED.

Since the Marshmallow update:

-Initial boot-up takes an average of 32 seconds longer.

-Camera is slower to load initially.

-All internet browsers, OEM and third-party, are slower/laggy to respond to input and navigation.

-OEM Messenger is slower during typing input and temporarily freezes, the whole phone is unresponsive for a few seconds, upon sending and receiving EVERY text.

-Attachments (including photos/video/audio taken with Messenger attachment feature) are FREQUENTLY rejected by Messenger.

-Battery life is noticeably worse and the device will begin rebooting when battery falls below 10%.

-Low Battery notification sound is muted.

-Randomly hot for no obvious reason. REBOOT

-Bluetooth audio is "poppy and scratchy" (though this has ALWAYS been an issue with every Samsung device I've owned).

-Recently "NO SIM CARD" notification has occurred a few times. REBOOT

-Pen Detached warning no longer happens.

-Landscape rotation frequently doesn't work, often requires REBOOT to correct.

-Google Maps frequently just stops navigating, not a crash. If you're not watching the phone you'll miss that it stopped navigating. Like canceling the navigation.

-Black screen upon unlocking, pressing HOME or POWER button does nothing, screen remains black, but BACK and MENU buttons illuminate. REBOOT.

-RANDOM REBOOTS, my favorite.

-Many applications that worked flawlessly before now have problems.

The above issues DID NOT exist until AFTER the Marshmallow update.

I spend more time than ever REBOOTING and its seriously frustrating, especially after spending well over $700. My experiences with Samsung have been increasingly negative over the past few years. If I can't get some or most of these items resolved, I believe this will be the last Samsung device I ever purchase.

I look forward to your help in these matters.

Unrelated to the UPDATE, the screen-side camera lens is coated in dust, basically unusable, due to poor seal around screen and device body. This alone constitutes a replacement device, as this appears to be a common problem with the NOTE 4.

0 Likes
l5858
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, This has been very quiet.  I did a lot of tinkering trying to fix the problem, and I've noticed some relief (although not a complete fix).  Unfortunately I am not precisely sure which part fixed it but FWIW here is what I did:

1)  Samsung Smartswitch carried over my bluetooth devices when I switched phones months ago.  I deleted most of the all of the paired devices and re-paired only two of them again when I started noticing the bluetooth drain.  It seems that Smartswitch had written bluetooth pairing information into a file the the phone was still using to pair devices (including the ones I had removed and not paired again). Until I fully paired every single device again, and unpaired them all again it was still looking for some of the unpaired devices. After a complete unpair, re-pair, unpair, then I could pair a sub-set without issue.  I long thought the devices were deleted (and don't show on the list)...but apparently something was going on behind the scenes as I started getting tons of bluetooth pairing requests from devices that were not paired anymore.

2) I used All-In-One Toolbox's, Boot Speed-up to turn off some items I believed were unnecessary. This is much like Debloater for those familiar, but this you can do from the phone itself. In the system category (most likely the issue), I disabled: ANT HAL service, Amazon Kindle, Beacon Manager, BluetoothTest, BBCAgent, Bluetooth Share, com.Verizon.vzwavs, Cloud, DT Ignite, Gear VR Service, GameMode, Instagram, KnoxFolderContainer, KLMS Agent, KnoxAppsUpdateAgent, KNOX SetupWizardClient, KNOX, My InfoZone, NFL Mobile, Peel Smart Remote, SamsungDLPService, Support & Protection, TalkBack, Verizon Store Demo Mode, Verizon Login.   I fortunately don't need Knox like some enterprise folks do...otherwise you will need to leave those.

Fortunately since these changes, my BT drain has stayed <15%....and I have not seen the 40+% numbers like before.  Not a total fix, but apparently there is something here that is causing problems.  Would be interesting to see if all of us with problems used Smart Switch ahead of having problems. 

0 Likes