Re: NOTE 3 4.4 KITKAT UPDATE
Tidbits
Legend

1.  Like it's been explained by Motorola, Google, Sony, and HTC...  Carriers DO NOT touch any code what-so-ever.  They even explained that if something doesn't pass it comes BACK TO THEM.  Most manufacturers NEVER say they got it back from the carriers to redo it.

2.  Bootloader means NOTHING...  There are other versions around the world that are locked bootloaders as well.  There are devices sold with locked bootloaders in Europe that got updates first...  Sony Xperia, HTC One M7, Motorola G, Motorola X, and do I need to continue?  So exactly what does locked bootloaders have to do with updates?

3.  4.4.3 is being worked on, but it's source code is only intended for Nexus devices.  If you were actually a dev YOU WOULD KNOW THIS, and it requires MORE WORK to get them ready for other devices that are NOT Nexus devices, but of course... You know more than I do.  If given enough time and the bugs are known it could be FIXED by the manufacturer without an incremental release from Google.  Why do you think some bugs don't affect some manufacturers even if it was found in source code?  That all went away when people started crying they were waiting too long for updates.  It's harder to cherry pick fixes.

Comparing carriers I wasn't doing.  I was comparing consumer pressure and how it affects things.  You are just too blind to see it like most believed "techies" do.

AndroidDev
Enthusiast - Level 3

1. Incorrect! Verizon ––and Samsung–– snuck in a few of their own apps (called, Bloatware) in the clean version of Android OS. Carriers DO NOT touch iOS, and so customers can receive updates directly from Apple. Thanks to Apple! Shame on other manufacturers including Samsung!

2. Locked bootloader prevents users from applying custom Kernels and ROMs. So, they depend on the long update cycle by Google, manufacturers, and carriers.

3. You miss the point of my argument! It is all about the lagged updates. We will get the update when a newer version will be available very soon. i.e., we will wait again for the new features and bug fixes in another cycle.

Comparison does not make sense at all! Customers anywhere will behave similarly under the SAME conditions.

Tidbits
Legend

AndroidDev wrote:

1. Incorrect! Verizon ––and Samsung–– snuck in a few of their own apps (called, Bloatware) in the clean version of Android OS. Carriers DO NOT touch iOS, and so customers can receive updates directly from Apple. Thanks to Apple! Shame on other manufacturers including Samsung!

2. Locked bootloader prevents users from applying custom Kernels and ROMs. So, they depend on the long update cycle by Google, manufacturers, and carriers.

3. You miss the point of my argument! It is all about the lagged updates. We will get the update when a newer version will be available very soon. i.e., we will wait again for the new features and bug fixes in another cycle.

Comparison does not make sense at all! Customers anywhere will behave similarly under the SAME conditions.

1.  Wrong.  They give them to the manufacturer in advanced and request the manufacturer to put them in.  Carriers do not put them in themselves.  Google, Sony, Motorola, and HTC have admitted to that fact and wrote about it.  Apple  is a placebo effect.  They withhold the updates until all are ready and pushes it out all at once.  Also they have a beta program which testing is done side by side as they do the code.  Join ADC and you'll see this yourself, but of course... Regular people especially here in the states only see things at face value.

2.  Still nothing to do with updates.  Like I said before Sony, and HTC locks all their bootloaders for all carriers overseas.  Yet they  update their devices just fine. 

3.  You missed the point actually.  AOSP is only written for the Nexus line of devices.  Rom cookers do not write their own code, and only modify code that is given to them.  They are not liable for anything.  If something breaks you are on your own.

You are trying to validate something that has no relation with each other just so you can blame the carrier.  If you actually cared about updates you'd buy the Nexus devices as that's what the code was written for.  Of course your a dev and you should know that.  Of course Europe has PROVEN you wrong with you last statement, and they do see updates long before we do... Think about it. 

AndroidDev
Enthusiast - Level 3

No offense! You think that "Verizon could give up to the pressure everyone is doing and we may not see a fix for them for much longer", while you also claim that "Carriers DO NOT touch any code what-so-ever." Could you tell me then what are we waiting for? bug fixes by Verizon? or they do not touch the code and it is up to Samsung?!

If Verizon has nothing to do with the VERY LATE update, why did Samsung release it for the other carriers in US but not Verizon?!!, and what is the effect of customer pressure in this case?!!!

On the other hand, buying a Nexus device ––or even the Developer Edition, which is unlocked–– is out of scope. I have the retail version and I have the right to get its update. I know that Android 4.4.2 has many bugs, but I can deal with them all. You can forego the update if you wish waiting for the bug fixes or a newer version. However, this may take forever as any update will have its own bugs that might (not) be annoying to you.

Tidbits
Legend

Dude... Now you are gasping for air...

Testing is completely different from coding. I suggest you change your user name and stop trolling.

Good luck I am done feeding you. Change your mindset an get everyone to change theirs if you want to see improvement. Current wy of thinking has proved for the past 6 years it isn't working while in Europe for the past 6 years is working. Go figure.

0 Likes
AndroidDev
Enthusiast - Level 3

LOL Europe.. Europe.. Europe.. You can think whatever you want.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Crsj,

Oh my! I can certainly understand your excitement for this update. Are you having issues with your current device software?

Thanks,
PamelaF_vzw
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Blaquejohn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Simply got to love condescending customer care. I think most of us feel for what we pay for this "glorious" service that we should get all the bells and whistles associated with it in a timely manner. Best network worse update record...not to mention I was told by customer care the USB 3.0 cable is a gimmick and I should use 2.0 because they don't keep 3.0 cables is stock

AndroidDev
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could you please announce your update schedule, or tell us more about the current status of the update?!, How long does it take to get tested and approved?!! If you are working with Samsung on fixing some bugs, it would be enough for me to know about the current status and a proposed release date!!! This applies to all Android OS updates, not only KitKat. Thank you!

mlo66212

I just bot a Note 3 this week and was unaware of the wifi problems, I'm going to take this thing back If I don't see some big changes soon! My wife and I have been with Verizon for a long time but this will change if I don't seem some answers on this Wifi Snafu! I love the phone, now it if would only work, Sheesh!

I'm going to try AT&T If I have return this phone, which it looks like I will have to with the replies I've seen so far from Verizon!

0 Likes