Mobile data not working, troubleshooting assistant and tech support are no help
Burzmali
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sort of at my wits end, here. Relevant info-

Device: 256 GB Galaxy Note 10+

Symptoms: 4G symbol always grayed out, can't get to a web page (or connect with any other apps) when not connected to wifi. Able to make calls and send/receive SMS. Cannot send/receive MMS unless on wifi.

This all started after I temporarily switched my number to another phone and then switched it back to this phone. When I switched it back, mobile data would no longer work.

I have been through the complete troubleshooting assistant: check various settings, restart, remove and reinsert SIM, do various resets, do full factory reset, etc. Nothing has worked.

When I've tried contacting tech support, they have walked me through the same steps multiple times via chat. The one time I was able to get someone on the phone, they hung up on me after verifying some info on the account and making me wait for 5+ minutes.

I guess my next option is to get a new SIM card, but after that I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions, short of the new SIM?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mobile data not working, troubleshooting assistant and tech support are no help
Burzmali
Enthusiast - Level 1

For anyone who might be in my situation and finds this post, the solution wound up being that I needed a new SIM card. I went to a Verizon store today, got a new SIM installed, and everything is fine now. By the way, this was ultimately a potential solution that I asked about, rather than one that was mentioned to me.

I am extremely frustrated with the quality of customer and technical support I received from both the web chat and the first person I spoke with on the phone (who hung up on me). Also, why doesn't the digital troubleshooting assistant suggest a new SIM card?

I will say that the private message support from VZW reps through this community was helpful and probably would have fixed most people's problems. The same goes for the person I spoke with on the phone when I scheduled a call back. However, I don't understand why there isn't that same quality of support with the web chat.

tl;dr version: If you went through the digital support assistant troubleshooting for this problem and it still didn't fix it, save yourself some frustration and just go get a new SIM card. Competent tech support is probably going to tell you to do that anyway. Meanwhile, the web chat is absolutely worthless for non-simple problems, and they're just going to walk you through the same steps as the digital assistant.

View solution in original post

Re: Mobile data not working, troubleshooting assistant and tech support are no help
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read that you are having issues with your device getting 4G data, and we're here to help. So that we may look into the details of this concern, please send us a private note.

PedroM_VZW

0 Likes
Burzmali
Enthusiast - Level 1

For anyone who might be in my situation and finds this post, the solution wound up being that I needed a new SIM card. I went to a Verizon store today, got a new SIM installed, and everything is fine now. By the way, this was ultimately a potential solution that I asked about, rather than one that was mentioned to me.

I am extremely frustrated with the quality of customer and technical support I received from both the web chat and the first person I spoke with on the phone (who hung up on me). Also, why doesn't the digital troubleshooting assistant suggest a new SIM card?

I will say that the private message support from VZW reps through this community was helpful and probably would have fixed most people's problems. The same goes for the person I spoke with on the phone when I scheduled a call back. However, I don't understand why there isn't that same quality of support with the web chat.

tl;dr version: If you went through the digital support assistant troubleshooting for this problem and it still didn't fix it, save yourself some frustration and just go get a new SIM card. Competent tech support is probably going to tell you to do that anyway. Meanwhile, the web chat is absolutely worthless for non-simple problems, and they're just going to walk you through the same steps as the digital assistant.

marbochengye
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have changed to a new SIM and I still have no data. I can still call and text.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure you are able to use data. Is this happening everywhere you go, or just in a specific location?

0 Likes