May 31 2017 "Security Update" for Samsung Note 4
imrjb

Verizon what are you doing about the problems your recent update is causing us Note 4 users?  My Note 4 for example keeps shutting down and restarting and when it is on, it responses sluggishly, the screen jumps and turns black. I have seen numerous other complaints concerning these issues.  My phone worked GREAT yesterday.  Today, it is turned off - useless.

0 Likes
Re: May 31 2017 "Security Update" for Samsung Note 4
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung wrote the update not Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DOLANJE
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here and I have read several others.  The phone tries over and over to power on. I have been on the phone with Verizon for hours and I am now on the phone with Samsung.  I have completed a master reset, with no luck.  Now Samsung wants me to mail the phone in for service.  I am out of warranty. 

Verizon repeatedly told me that I was eligible for an upgrade.  I don't want to upgrade.  I have just paid off the $850 phone.  They do not offer any compensation for a new phone, although they did acknowledge that the issue stemmed from the update.

Samsung told me to mail the phone in or take it to a Best Buy kiosk.  Oh, and she also told me "Good luck with that".....

pherson
Champion - Level 1

The phone is over 2 years old. I'm surprised Samsung rolled it out. You got someone you can borrow a phone from until you do upgrade? Get one cheap from a third party site? Or did you ask Samsung how much it would cost to reupload the software? Those are 3 options.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

imrjb,

Updating software on the phone should be an easy task with enhancements that will help improve the experience with your device. I am concerned to hear that was not the case with your phone but we will work to get this resolved for you. Do you notice any specific pattern as to when the phone starts to reboot or have the issue with the jumping screen? Does the phone reboot immediately after you turn it on?

CandiceH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DLL21014
Enthusiast - Level 3

ERICAC_VZW

Are you still around to assist?

Still having issues!!!  The security software update sent out to my phone was successfully installed on June 3 but still have had same problems since.

I believe I have tried everything possible under my control. Did I try the Software Assistant? Yes, one of the first things I attempted to do when all this started about a month ago, no help there. My Note 4 still will shutdown and won't restart either with the SIM and using data or without the SIM and using WiFi only, often won't let me restart using Power/Volume/Home button until I let it sit idle for awhile.

It is obviously a problem created since the software update since a growing list of people are having problems, it can't all be hardware failures at the same time. The common denominator is the Software Upgrade to the Note 4.

Thank you.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to ensure every option has been exhausted regarding your restarting issue, Dll21014.  Thank you for completing the Software repair Assistant and I have a few additional questions if I may ask.  Do you have a memory card in your device?  If so, please remove it and re-test?  I know that this is a weird question, but do you have another battery or know someone with a Note 4 battery?  I ask because I have seen batteries cause weird issues like device rebooting, boot loop, start up difficulty, lagging issues among others.  The best way to test it, is place a known working battery and see if the issue goes away.  These symptoms are usually a sign of a battery about to fail or has failed already.

AdamB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JIMBO721
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had the same issue. I posted in another thread but can't find it.

Anyway, I was searching around and I may have found a fix.

There is an app in the Google Play Store called Wake Lock - PowerManager by darken. It's free (although there is a $2 and change donate version which I'm probably going to get)

After installing it, it gives a list of "wake" modes. I used Partial_Wake_Lock.

2 seconds after install I noticed the difference. I've been running it for almost 24 hours now. No crash, no hags, no lockups, nothing. It's like I got my phone back.

It looks like the latest patch from Samsung/Verizon has a bug in it that affects the CPU falling asleep. This would explain the sluggish and lockups. Also I guess depending on what happens within your phone, it would cause the reboots.

This isn't my app...but I wanted top share because it really works well.

DLL21014
Enthusiast - Level 3

AdamB_VZW

Not sure what you meant about the remove memory card and retest. I have moved the SD card and SIM in and out a couple times to use in my backup phone (old S4). This SD is a new card with transferred data (mainly photos) since the Note 4 problems.

Yes, I do have another Note 4 battery (once used in other Note 4) and I know I put it in the phone at least once before, but I will try again just for you. This secondary battery had 60%  whem I placed in the Note and still took long for the Note to boot up. Right now back of phone is very hot, power is on (red light upper left corner), screen went black (like usual screen/power save) but the screen can't get out of being blacked out with just the power button, one of the same problem it has been doing. I just took the battery out, reinsert it, tried to Power On, no luck. I usually have to let it sit idle for awhile, then try again, then it may boot up.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

JIMBO721 wrote:

I have had the same issue. I posted in another thread but can't find it.

Re: Note 4 Rebooting and Hanging after latest update

0 Likes