Re: Latest From Samsung
rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

You be right rcschnoor - some of us do keep talking about swapping, replacing, etc., for the simple reason, I/we have fallen hook-line-sinker in love with this darned gizmo and cant wait to get it back in my possession.

My loaner works just fine but does not compare it my 'returned' Note7.

What can I say....

snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Swapping is listed as an option, but it is being actively discouraged by Verizon employees. Also many people are getting the same response from attempts to return the item. The restocking fee is not being waived, and they're being advised that this is no big deal. I guess we could all walk in and make a scene until Verizon cooperates, but we shouldn't have to. They should simply be following their own policy without complaint, without making it more difficult on the customer. Period.

rcschnoor
Legend

rgang50 wrote:

You be right rcschnoor - some of us do keep talking about swapping, replacing, etc., for the simple reason, I/we have fallen hook-line-sinker in love with this darned gizmo and cant wait to get it back in my possession.

That is all well and good. I am happy if you love your Note 7. My point has ALWAYS been and CONTINUES to be that loving a device is NOT worth possible bodily injury. People CONTINUE to use the recalled devices simply because they were not offered a loaner device? SO WHAT? Return the device, take a REFUND and leave without a loaner if they are not offering one. THEN, when the new devices are available, purchase one at that time. My health is not worth a phone. Others don't seem to feel the same way. My health is worth MUCH more than the cost of a $50 BRAND NEW basic phone purchased from Verizon or a $100 used GS5 purchased from swappa.com. You may say "what about the cost", but my reply would be that if you are worried about the cost of a $50-$100 temporary phone which could save your life when you have a potentially dangerous $900 phone you are currently using, possibly some people paid more than they can afford for that $900 phone. But of course, that is just my opinion. Others are entitled to their own opinion and if they want to continue using their Note 7 instead of RETURNING it, that is their choice. I don't agree with it, but I am not the one doing it.

This is the problem people face when they use their previous phone to subsidize the cost of a newer device. IF I were in the same situation, I would purchase a junk basic phone from swappa.com or ask my friends/relatives if they had a phone I could borrow to use for the time being. I have loaned my old phones MANY times to friends/relatives who had broken/lost a phone and were not eligible for a subsidized upgrade to use until they were eligible. I am sure they would return the favor if possible. As it is, I have SEVERAL of my older phones, still in working order which I could simply switch to if need be.

rcschnoor
Legend

snugglesmacks2 wrote:

Swapping is listed as an option, but it is being actively discouraged by Verizon employees. Also many people are getting the same response from attempts to return the item. The restocking fee is not being waived, and they're being advised that this is no big deal.

In that case, I would simply bring up the Verizon webpage which states there WON'T be a restocking fee, shove it in their face and demand a refund. IF you can find a Verizon website which states they will give a loaner, I would do the same with that. Of course, this would only be valid at a Verizon Corporate Store as Verizon Premium Retailers do not necessarily follow the same rules as Verizon Corporate Stores.

Of course, stories posted by news outlets and blogs which may claim Verizon will do such and such does not equate to a Verizon policy. It would have to be an official Verizon statement on verizonwireless.com, such as a news release.

rgang50
Contributor - Level 1

Agree with you all counts, not returning the Note7 for whatever option floats ones boat is pure recklessness.

CHRSWI27
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree. It is a lot cheaper to buy a cheap $100.00 smart phone and pay a restocking fee later on than it would be to pay medical bills or buy a new car or replace any other items that get damaged by a phone that catches on fire. After all a six year old was injured when he/she was playing with it and it wasn't even on the charger. For those who are told to hold on to it you need to tell the sales people no. And if they still refuse to take it back then call Samsung or Consumer Safety. They will take care of the problem for you. After all you can always buy the phone again later on when they are released. Peoples lives are far more important than a phone.

rcschnoor
Legend

CHRSWI27 wrote:

After all a six year old was injured when he/she was playing with it and it wasn't even on the charger.

However that was mis-reported by news outlets. That was a Galaxy Core, not a Note 7.

Samsung phone explodes in New York, injures 6-year-old boy [Updated] | Android Central

CHRSWI27
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh I see, but it's pretty sad. I hope that he is ok. I didn't see the full story. I only found out from one of the posts from the community chat.

FAIGUY9
Enthusiast - Level 3

That phone turned out to NOT be a Note 7. A Samsung phone,  yes, but they are looking into if it even had the original battery.

Tidbits
Legend

Go to bestbuys website and look up battery recalls.

Any one of those could have had the same effect with any brand and any company.  Samsung being one of the bigger companies gets scrutinized more than the others.  Samsung is taking safe than sorry approach and didn't have to go through great lengths they did.  If you look at those recalls they had the same ordeal yet did you here any press about?  Just a few recent ones I will post from just this year!  This doesn't include all for the past 5 years and you'd be surprise what you don't hear about.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/HP-Recalls-Batteries-for-HP-and-Compaq-Notebook-Computers/

Toshiba Recalls Laptop Computer Battery Packs Due to Burn and Fire Hazards | CPSC.gov

Sony Recalls VAIO Laptop Computer Battery Packs Due to Burn and Fire Hazards | CPSC.gov

Panasonic Recalls Lithium-ion Laptop Battery Packs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov 

late last year

PNY Recalls Portable Lithium Polymer Battery Packs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov

CHRSWI27 wrote:

Oh I see, but it's pretty sad. I hope that he is ok. I didn't see the full story. I only found out from one of the posts from the community chat.