KitKat 4.4 breaks SD card access; be careful what you wish for
Chuck007

Be very careful of what you wish for.  KitKat 4.4 has completely changed the way it uses external SD cards.  Many apps are broken and can't access the external SD cards.  I have the Note tablet and now apps can no longer write to the external card.  I use my tablet like a PC and need this functionality everyday.  Totally sucks.  I hope the KitKat update to the Note 3 phone is not the same or at least they will provide an alternative.  Beware people!  See detailed explaination below.  FYI, like most updates, you cannot DOWNGRADE.  No going back!!!

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

0 Likes
Re: KitKat 4.4 breaks SD card access; be careful what you wish for
Tidbits
Legend

It is not broken...  It works like intended, and how Google wrote the code.  This was actually supposed to happen starting 3.0 Honeycomb.  People have been saying this was coming long before, but nobody paid attention to it.

pizzapablo
Contributor - Level 1

OH! Well then, that makes it all better, now doesn't it?

0 Likes
vspoke
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't delete Audible files from the SD card.  They suggest I plug my device into a PC and delete from there.  The problem is, I have no idea what Audible book is what file, they are just some random file names!  Also, in messages, I can't bulk delete messages like I could before.  Very disappointed in "4.4".

0 Likes