Is this a bug in the 5.0 update, or design change?
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have seen several people post online similar comments to this: "Why would you want to set an alarm in your alarm clock, but not have it work because you silenced your phone the night before so you COULD SLEEP?  This makes absolutely NO sense.  I would also like to be able to look down in a meeting and see if I have a text/email without having to unlock my phone." 

Both of these things work as they should on my Note3 now.  If I take a chance on the update to 5.0, should I expect the alarm to no longer work if the phone is on silent?  What about seeing status bar notifications on the top of the screen when waking the phone with power button?  I would not want to have to actually fully unlock the phone to see them.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Is this a bug in the 5.0 update, or design change?
Snn5
Legend

Priority notifications in Interruptions...thats what you are looking for.

WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Priority notifications in Interruptions...thats what you are looking for."

What?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend
0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

That only gets you into silent mode.  The problem with it is that then your alarm will not work.  The complaints I have seen are from people saying that the only way to get your alarm to function is to not put the phone in silent mode.  The problem with that is that the phone will then alert all night long with texts, emails, phone calls, and other notifications, making sleep impossible.  Silence those and you also silence your alarm, rendering it useless as a wake up device.

This is what I find puzzling and am thinking there must be a way to get the alarm function to work even when all other sounds are silenced so you can sleep?  The phone screen in priority interruptions says that alarms are always priority interruptions so the fact that so many are complaining that their alarms no longer sound when the phone is silenced must be a bug?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend
Snn5
Legend

If that doesnt explain it, then Im at a loss.

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

That does explain it and actually shows a screen shot where you can read that alarms are always a priority interruption. So that answers the question about alarms at least.  If your alarm is not working when in silent mode, then that is a bug in the 5.0 update.  Thanks. 

Now what about having to unlock your phone to see the status bar at the top notifications.  Any way around that?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Silent makes all things silent.  You still have silent, vibrate, and ON, but now you have Notifications such as ALL, Priority and NONE.  Its confusing but you basically get all, some or none.

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

But silent is not supposed to silence the alarm, correct?

0 Likes