I am locked out of my Galaxy Note5 bought at a Verizon store because of Google's device protection feature, what can I do?
ruhe76
Enthusiast - Level 2

The tragic story...

My mother came to visit me for a few days from Mexico, I am now using a Nexus phone and had my Note5 gathering dust so I let her use it while she was here, I carefully wiped it and gave it to her fresh. She used it fine but when she left she did a factory reset. That would be all ok had she written down the account information for the google account she created during setup, but she didn't and we've tried the signin she thinks she made up but that account doesn't exist! So now I'm locked out of the Note5, stuck on the google sign in screen because of she reset the phone without first deleting the google account from it, and because of the google device protection feature I can't get past it unless I put in the credentials to the google account previously synced with the phone. I am the owner of the Verizon account I used at a verizon store to buy this Verizon Note5, and I can prove who I am, is there anything they can do or do I now have  $700 brick in my hands because of a forgotten email name?

Re: I am locked out of my Galaxy Note5 bought at a Verizon store because of Google's device protection feature, what can I do?
tomgnc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes there is, they can set it up for a new Google/Samsung account password, but there will be a three day waiting period before the new password can be added. The Verizon Store did this for me when my phone crashed and my passwords etc. were in the old phone and I tried to enter the account info too many times in the replacement phone. Annoying but possible. Verizon store very patient and helpful.

0 Likes
Re: I am locked out of my Galaxy Note5 bought at a Verizon store because of Google's device protection feature, what can I do?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ruhe76,

That is a tragic story. Samsung's new security is a great feature especially if your device is lost or stolen. However, it can be difficult if information is forgotten. At this point, your best option is reaching out to Google for further assistance. Here is their support link: https://www.google.com/contact/ or they can be reached by calling 855-836-3987.

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
washington101983
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry to hear, my phone did the exact same thing. Even though I reset my Google password from a laptop, I still wasn't able to get into my phone. Great thing is after a day or so I tried it and it worked. It's called a cool down period. Everything should restore for you once you put your Google account back in. It will say for now that it's not the correct one but just wait it out for a couple of days.

0 Likes
ruhe76
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks everyone, the 72 hour period wait is actually only when you recover your google account (like when you forget your password), if you do not know the actual google account you used (the email portion) then you're out of luck no matter how long you wait.

I am going to contact google, hopefully they wont kick the ball back to verizon or samsung.

0 Likes
ruhe76
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's no contact email or phone number, just instructions on how to restore your password. I'm sorry but If I can't get help on this I'm just going to return this through American Express, and that will cost Verizon money.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Actually it will not. User error doesn't take money away from the Merchant.

0 Likes