How To Use An Old/Used Phone as Replacement?
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

If one has access to an old or previously used, but not currently active, Note4 phone for example, what would be the best way to switch to that in conjunction with returning an already active Note7 still in one's possession for refund?

▪Should the SIM cards be switched before returning the Note7, or what?

▪Also, if one were to keep using their Note7, could it's SIM card be used temporarily in the old phone (like a Note4) when neccessary, such as for travel on aircraft?

▪ Would either of the above incur an activation fee?

Re: How To Use An Old/Used Phone as Replacement?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I'm not sure about the sim but since the phone is now blacklisted I would think it can't be reactivated. The phone has to go through initialization.

0 Likes
josepht_vzw
Verizon Employee

_BrianZ

Its our goal to make sure you have a working phone. Your safety is very important to us and we don't want to see anything happen with your Note 7. We have a great resource here that will assist you in turning in your Note 7 and be able to upgrade or switch devices. Samsung Galaxy Note7 Recall  Exchange FAQs | Verizon Wireless .

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

_BrianZ wrote:

If one has access to an old or previously used, but not currently active, Note4 phone for example, what would be the best way to switch to that in conjunction with returning an already active Note7 still in one's possession for refund?

▪Also, if one were to keep using their Note7, could it's SIM card be used temporarily in the old phone (like a Note4) when neccessary, such as for travel on aircraft?

▪ Would either of the above incur an activation fee?

As long as they are same size, you can do that

Also, if one were to keep using their Note7, could it's SIM card be used temporarily in the old phone (like a Note4) when neccessary, such as for travel on aircraft?

pherson​ brings up great point.  The phone may be blacklisted and not able to reactivate on the network at anytime in the future that Verizon or the Feds decide.

Would either of the above incur an activation fee?

No activation fee

0 Likes
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, Seth.  I still have to wonder if blocking reactivation would really happen, and if so, why is Verizon's official guidance still only worded as a suggestion, recommendation, or "we strongly encourage" rather than "require"?  If true, that mean the best I could do is to not use a backup old phone at all.

Ref:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/activate-switch-or-bring-your-own-device-faqs/. You can learn more about the Samsung recall here,https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-note7-recall-faqs/.

The above recall faqs state:

"What  if  I  don't  want  to  exchange  my  Galaxy  Note7?

We strongly  encourage  our  customers  to  power  down  their  Note7  device  and  process  an upgrade  by  visiting  https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/. Orders  placed  through  10/19/2016  will  receive  free  overnight  shipping.  After  you  process  your order,  you’ll  receive  a  special  recovery  box  to  return  your  Note7."

_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

JosephT_VZW, it's one thing to brag about having great resources, but another to know how to actually provide helpful assistance.  Knowing the difference is the foundation of good customer service.

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I would love to use my old phone (s5) but unfortunately that is why I needed a new phone because after the last update that I got on my s5 it doesn't work anymore and believe me I have tried everything to get it fixed I have talked to verizon samsung and sammobile and the only one that gave me the best help was sammobile.They walked me through a lot of things to try and get this phone up and running. Now Verizon wants me to pay $50. more on my plan to exchange note7 and get a s7 edge.There is just no way I'm paying anymore on this cell phone bill. I know that they will credit back the upgrade fee after I wait for who knows how long But upping my line access fee is the last straw.I'm retired and don't have this kind of money to wait for a company that has billions to adjust my account when they get a chance to.

Congratulations, you just saved money!

With this upgrade, your monthly line access charge will change from $80.00 to $130.00.

CONGRATULATIONS MY..........

Weth
Legend

You are correct that the blacklisting is still unconfirmed at this point.  Certainly it does not take much understanding that Verizon, Samsung, or the Feds would do this to limit any liability in the near future. Strongly encourage is often followed by must.  If you don't use a backup phone,how are you going to travel?  As nice as the Note 7 is, one must consider it a dead end phone and cut their losses at one point.  If Feds are seeing people sneaking the phones into luggage and the cabin, they will ask to blacklist. 

If  I was in Vegas, I would put odds on blacklisting at 80%. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Why does Verizon say your bill goes up $50. Net, after everything is settled and returned should be slightly less with S7 v Note 7

0 Likes
kevinr_vzw
Verizon Employee
kathy65793, I want to make sure that we get you on the right path with the billing and with a good w...

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes