Help with translate in highlight menu and something else peculiar.
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received my replacem note 7 and it is doing the same thing that the original note 7 did.  I have called Verizon twice with no resolution.  I have spoken to Samsung 3 times with no resolution.  I don't understand how the manufacturer and a retailer of their product don't know how their product works.  I hope someone on here will be able to help.  I understand how the "New" Translate feature works and it worked on both my original note 7 and the replacement.  However, when you highlight a word in your messaging app (I've tried several with the same results) a different  menu pops up with items like copy all, dictionary, and all the way to the right another translate.  Tap that one and it doesn't work.  I believe, but not certain, that it needs the old S-Translator app from Samsung.  However, I am not sure.  The icon looks like the same icon.  VZ didn't know anything and passed me along to Samsung. One lady accessed my original note remotely and did absolutely nothing on it for over 2 hours.  She even thought the translate was meant to fix misspelled words.  Eventually she suggested I call Google.  I was over it at that point.  The last person tried I don't know how many obvious things and didn't have a clue.  When I challenged his answer, I got disconnected.  A Verizon tech rep who was worthless was also on the phone.  I hope she didn't hang up on me.  Every other time I've ever gotten disconected from Verozon they have always called me back, but not this time.  I don't think anyone knows what that is supposed to do.  I also don't know why someone can simpoh answer if there is a way that I can put the Samsung S-Tranlator app on my phone to test my theory.   I just can't find it in play store or Galaxy apps.  The other really odd thing is both phones highlighting words brings up in the menu a dictionary option like the other notes have had and they work in both my original and the replacement note 7.  However, I see the app in the app drawer in the original Note 7, but I don't see it in the new note 7 in the app drawer.  I have checked to see if it is hidden, but not.  I do see it listed in application manager, but not the app drawer.  I don't know if either of these items are related.  I don't believe so.  At least the latter is working, even though I can't find the actual app.  I would love to get the first issue fixed and working.  I wouldn't also mind to see the dictionary app where it should be.  I would appreciate anyone's help.  I hope there are no typos.  It it late and I am typing on a tablet half a sleep.  Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

0 Likes
Re: Help with translate in highlight menu and something else peculiar.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that you stay on top of being able to translate text! At this time, I highly recommend going to a store location for physical review of your device.

HarleyE_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate you responding, but unfortunately I need a better response.  I have extremely bad health issues that will prevent me from taking you up on your suggestion.  I also think you may have misunderstood my issue.  The "NEW TRANSLATE" feature works perfectly.  It is when you highlight a word or phrase and then other menu pops up with the word translate that I have the issue.  When you click it nothing happens.  I believe that it is trying to access S-Translator app, which is not there.  It is also not in any App Store.  Where can I get it to see if this will fix my issue?  I don't understand why no one knows what happened to this app, especially Samsung reps.  It is their app.  Can someone at least first just answer my question about the app?  I think we can start there and then figure out where to go next.  Please, please, please be the Verizon that has always had phenomenal customer service!  Unfortunately, the customer service had been going in the wrong direction and with the other companies catching up technologically Verizon better make sure they keep their superior customer service.  I really hope I get an answer that I can actually use.  I already have to call you on numerous issues with this whole Note 7 fiasco.  BTW, if Verizon and Samsung cared so much about everyone's health, then what I don't understand is why when I called up after seeing the first initial story in the news Verizon's answer was to connect me to Samsung.  Samsung's answer was to let them know if my phone blows up or catches fire.  I had another question about my wife's 6 edge+ and the Samsung rep said no they only want to know if the Note 7 catches fire or blows up.  So I asked said to him that you don't want to know if the 6 edge+ blows up or catches fire.  And he actually said know.  I laughed and said you do realize that the 6 edge+ is also a Samsung phone too.  He repeated we just want to know about the Note 7.  In any event, I got off track.  I would greatly appreciate help with what to do about the Samsung S-Translator app.  PLEASE DON'T SUGGEST I CONTACT SAMSUNG.  I have only spoken to their customer service 3 times, but I honestly think they have the worst customer service of all companies I have ever dealt with in my entire life.  If they didn't make good products, I think they would be out of business.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly understand. When it comes to physical review of a device to locate applications, we always want to have some one at a store to take a closer look. Concerning the application not being on your device, is your device updated to the most recent OS version? If so, when searching for S Translator app, minus the dash, are you able to locate it in the Galaxy Store under the Samsung apps?

HarleyE_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

I emailed you a response directly to your last post.  However, I also wanted to post a response as well since I re-read both of my previous posts.  I hope you can relate to my frustrations.  You asled me to search S Translator app minus the dash.  I hope what you were making sure of is that I was searching "minus the dash". Because I actually already stated in both my posts that I can't find it in any App Store.  I would also hope that you would know that I trade every variation of spelling that I could think of, minus dash, S Translate, S-Translate, Samsung Translator, Samsung Translate, S Pen Translator, etc.  I can't find it anywhere.  In the youtube video it was printed as S Translator in 1 spot, S-Translator in another and called S Translate.  I tried everything.  Isn't there a way that you can contact Samsung and ask them for clarification on there app and product?  If they still have the app, or if that is what is supposed to happen when Translate is clicked under that menu.  Now the latest I heard from Samsung is that they are still writing the code for this.  They took a break due to the battery issue.  If the representative would have told me this first, I would have accepted it and moved on and waited a little while to see what happened.  The problem is he actually tried troubleshooting it with about 5 other ideas to try and fix the issue first and then came up with this solution.  I feel if that was the actual issue, he would've said it initially and that would've been it.  Please help!  There has to be a way to figure this out.  I had an issue similar to this on my Note 4 when I had it.  No one could figure the answer out and as soon as Marshmallow was put on the phone, it fixed the issue.  That is why I feel there is a software issue which I again assume is this missing app.  Has anyone else tried using this feature on your Note 7?  If we can get it to work it would be nice because the other translate only works with 1 word at a time. This one will translate phrase(s), sentence(s), and paragraph(s).  I feel this would be great assuming we can get it to work.

0 Likes
marcuss_vzw
Verizon Employee

Sll313, I know that it can be very frustrating for your favorite features to be changed without your knowledge. I think that the biggest issue is that we are not fully understanding the issue, being as though we cannot see the actual phone. To clarify, you are not having an issue with using the translate feature at all, right? You are just not able to access a previous feature on the phone.

MarcusS_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
sll1313
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, Marcus.  I emailed you directly, but I figured I would copy and paste that email as well just in case a Verizon customer can help me, too.

Last time for me to try and explain this.   You are correct in that it is not the new translate feature that is working fine.  However, you are wrong that I am not able to access a previous feature.  This is not a feature that I have ever seen on any of my other phones.  When you highlight a word in your text message app or in your browser app there is a different menu that pops up, NOT the air command menu.  Some other menu comes up with different choices than the air command menu.  Some options under this menu are Select All, Copy, Dictionary and Translate.  However, when you click this translate nothing happens.  The icon that is next to translate on this menu is different than the icon next to translate on the air command menu.  This icon is the same that matches the old S Translator App.  However, I can't find that app anywhere.  There is a YouTube video that shows what is supposed to happen on the Note 7, but it is not happening.  I hope this explains it better, because my frustration is starting to turn into aggravation.  Here is a link to that video: https://youtu.be/WxYvqMJtUwk

It starts explaining both translate features at around the 10 minute mark of the video.  I really hope this explains everything because I am getting really tired of this.  Please help.  Thanks.

0 Likes
tionnab_vzw
Verizon Employee

sll1313, I understand your concern regarding the phone being able to translate words wile in the messaging application. I have tried the same steps on my coworker’s phone and his is doing the same as yours. This very well may be corrected and updated in a future software update however we don’t have that information at this time as it is Samsung who indicates how that works. It is a nice feature of the phone to have and hopefully it does get updated.

0 Likes