Re: Galaxy note 3 upgrade situation
apostleal

Just talked to Verizon again at 611 and was informed if you add a line you can have your old number put in s4 and keep unlimited plan as long as you kept old phone activated. Old phone would not have unlimited data. Also if you pay the 699.99 for note 3 you will not lose unlimited. The only way to lose your unlimited  is if you get phone at discounted price of 299.99. Call Verizon and ask them. So before you call someone a liar get your facts straight.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

0 Likes
CG101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh wow! An overworked, underpaid and possibly uninformed CSR at Verizon's 611 said you were right (assuming you even made the phone call in the first place, but hey, lets agree that you did--I don't want to call you a liar.) Well then, we can just end this argument right now then.

Oh wait, no we can't because you "and the CSR" are still wrong.

Let's dissect your responses so that I can show you why.

apostleal wrote:

Just talked to Verizon again at 611 and was informed if you add a line you can have your old number put in s4 and keep unlimited plan as long as you kept old phone activated. Old phone would not have unlimited data.

See that right there doesn't make sense, but it's ok because I will not only clear this up but will correct it.

• You add a line, a basic line with a basic/feature phone. It is best to bring your own equipment in so that you get the month-to-month AND upgrade capability on the phone.
  • You upgrade the phone on the new line. Whether it's a Galaxy S4 OR a Galaxy Note 3.
  • When you receive new phone, you swap SIM out of old phone with unlimited data and pop it in new phone. Don't tell me you can't do that, because I myself done that NUMEROUS times. I even swapped a SIM out of one of my phones and put it on a Jetpack and STILL had UNLIMITED DATA (thank the FCC for that one...) You changed DEVICES not PLANS. Unlimited Data plans will STILL remain the same. This can be verified after about a few minutes by signing on your Verizon account and verifying that the unlimited data plan is still on the line AND the new phone on that line.
  • When you have replaced the new device on the unlimited data plan line, you contact Verizon over the phone and tell them that you want the basic phone BACK on the new line you added. They will (with or without persistence) remove the data plan from that line and it goes back to the standard 9.99 a month on that line. Meanwhile you kept the new phone that you got with the upgrade on the old line with UNLIMITED Data.

I will confirm all of this in a couple of weeks when I, myself, get the Galaxy Note 3. And as I said earlier, this is 100% legal and "against the law."

Yes, you can purchase the phone outright for full retail or device payment plan (DPP). I used DPP to get the Note 2 (and will probably pay that off by year's end...) However, this is a better, cheaper way of getting a phone without losing unlimited data.

There is a difference between being a liar, and not knowing what the heck you are talking about. You are definitely (on this issue) in the latter part. I never said you were a liar, but 100% misinformed.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Again, if you go through ANYBODY but Verizon, you will not be able to do this due to the third party retailer's terms.  They are the ones requiring you to keep data, not Verizon.  If you add the line (or do an upgrade on a dumbphone line) through Verizon, you can move the new device to an existing line, activate a dumbphone on the upgraded line, and cancel the data.  There is no way Verizon can force you to keep data on a line that does not have a smartphone. 

Phillyfran75

Here is the problem verizon sells you the phone for a subsidized price. The reason they do it is because you will have a contract for 2 years. If you do what you are doing it is away around paying  full price for the phone like the edge program or what t-mobile does. In all reality if you look close at the terms and conditions when you by a phone for a subsidized price you are suppose to keep it on the account for 181 days. After that its fine to do whatever. Most of the times you are really screwing the person you bought it from and really is considered fraud. I am speaking from experience. People don't realize that just because you buy a s4 for 200 that is the full value.

0 Likes
F1_RC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have 5 phones on my plan.  I am the main account holder and I have been grandfathered in for unlimited plan also.

My wife upgraded her iphone 5 to 5S.  I picked one up at the Verizon store for $199 + fees.  I signed stuff to verify that my wife's 2 year contract renewed.

I brought it home and put my sim card in the 5S and it started working. My wife wanted the new iphone so I pulled my sim card out and put her sim card in the new phone.  I am waiting to see Galaxy note 3 and note 10.1 (2014).   My line is eligible for upgrade so I might upgrade my son's with my eligibility and use it on my line.

if you search on net,  there is an article which confirms that Verizon cannot take your unlimited plan away unless you renew your contract.  By switching a device, you are not agreeing to a new contract.  Whoever upgraded the device renewed the contract.  In your case it will be your husband's mom.

0 Likes
Kirin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wouldn't this be seen as a "gift" situation? Person 1 buys phone, regardless if activated or not, decides to gift it to Person 2. They, in turn, activate gift and maintain both previous priceplan as well as insurance/warranty. Key word here is GIFT. Not all gifts come with receipts,  but are still honored by warranties.

0 Likes
QS8650

I have a single line, will I still be able to do this to upgrade to the note 3?

0 Likes
james73084
Enthusiast - Level 2

After talking with Samsung again for the third time I have been told over the phone by the cell phone manager over the whole US devision that the warrenty is Valid for the PHONE its self and to the person who purchased it.  It has NOTHING to do with the carrier you go through or what plan the phone is on, OR who's plan its on.  If I buy the phone and put the phone on my moms plan, activate it, then turn right around and take it off of her plan, and put it on my own plan the warrenty is MINE since I purchased the phone with my card.

If others want to not agree with this then by all means.  You are more then welcome to call Samsung and ask yourself.  As for insurance on my phone, I never get insurance on any of my phones anyway.  However, the Verizon Rep told me over the phone yesterday that in my situation that I discribed I would be eligible for insurance anyway so take that for what its worth.  My wife was the original poster of this thread for those who are wondering. 

Again if you do not believe me go a head and call Samsung yourself and I can garentee you thet warrenty will be honored by them. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I think this sounds correct. I would think Samsung, the manufacturer, would honor the warranty as long as you can show proof of the date of purchase is within the warranty period.

Remember, though, Verizon is not the manufacturer. Verizon acts as a middle man who facilitates the warranty process for the convenience of their customers who have purchased the phone. If the phone is currently on a plan other than the one which made the purchase, Verizon may not agree to facilitate the warranty, and the phone would have to be sent directly to Samsung. This would most likely add a considerable period of time before a replacement/repair would be able to be placed back on the line in order to use the phone.

0 Likes
james73084
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I got my Note 3 today. 

I can confirm that not only did I get the manufacturer's warrenty but I was able to get the note 3's warrenty extended as well as get Insurance on the the note 3 as well.  So for all of you saying I will lose the warrenty and would not be able to get insurance I am happy to say you were wrong.  I also got the phone for the $299 upgrade price using my moms upgrade on her plan and then switching the phone to my family plan, as well as keeping my unlimited data.  More over, I dont need to send the phone to samsung to cover the warrenty since verizon will do it now for me Smiley Happy  Go go Galaxy note 3 and Unlimited Data!