Re: Galaxy note 3 upgrade situation
zimnkrys

After talking to Samsung directly the warrenty will be my hubbys because he is the one who purchased the phone and the warrenty is for the device its self and will follow him no matter what different plans he goes to.  Samsung's warrenty plan has nothing to do with the plan you put the phone on no matter the carrier.  As long as you keep the proof of purchase meaning the receipt.  So I was told by samsung directly. 

So my other questions are. Would this situation work to keep my hubbys unlimited data? Would putting the phone on our plan use an upgrade? 

0 Likes
zimnkrys

Any more news on if this would work would be helpful thanks.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

But your husband isn't purchasing the phone on a line of service. Your father in law or mother in law is.

A BYOD phone isn't going to affect your unlimited data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
zimnkrys

What is BYOD

Again samsung said that when the phone is purchased the warrenty is for the person who purchased the phone.  The Warrenty THROUGH SAMSUNG has nothing to do with the line of service, the carrier or anything there of.  The warrenty through samsung is for the purchaser of the phone. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bring Your Own Device

Again your in-laws would be the ones purchasing the device on their account. Your husband will receiving it "secondhand".

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ajdallas

1. It is true if the parents are on separate accounts and you use that phone on an entirely different account it will void warranty with the manufacturer and device is ineligible for insurance.

***** In order to accomplish the goal of using someone else upgrade and not void the manufacturers warranty all lines have to be attached to the same account.

2. Verizon has a service called Device Payment Plan, visit your local corporate owned Verizon store and ask about the Device Payment Plan. If you qualify, you can purchase the device at full retail but spread it out over 12 months. For example, the Sam Galaxy S4 is $650 at full retail but it will be an additional $55 per month on your bill for 12 months. This option you will be able to keep your unlimited data and not sign a contract.

Or as mentioned previously, BYOD always work as well.

0 Likes
apostleal

If his parents are not paying for phone service then when he turns it to his line you will lose your unlimited data. According to the people in the Kiosk at Costco the way around losing your unlimited data is to add the note 3 as an additional line and keep your other 2 phones activated. It will cost you 9.99 a month for the new line plus 40 for the data but your plan should stay the same. Other option is buy phone outright at the 599.99 price and then you can keep your unlimited data. It is only when you upgrade and get phone at discounted price you lose your unlimited data. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Costco told you this because they lose their kickback when you cancel the plan (including the data portion), so you will lose the discount (check their terms).  If you purchase the phone through Verizon directly, you do not have to keep the data portion or, in this case, someone else can purchase the phone as an upgrade on their account, cancel the new data and go back to their old phone, allowing you to activate the device on your line.

apostleal

No Costco told me that because it is true. It is same thing car toys said. Even Verizon said same thing. Best thing to do is buy note 3 for full price then no question. It is against the law to tell you that you can add a line without messing up plan if not true.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

0 Likes
CG101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apostleal, you are 100% completely misinformed.

I just dusted off my flip phone after it had been lying in its slumber so that I can get a basic line (we will call this "Phase 1") After I acquired the MEID from the flip phone, I contacted Verizon to add the line and and the phone is now activated and is a part of my shared minutes. I even got Verizon to waive the activation fee on that line so that all I pay is $9.99 a month. "Phase 1" is completed.

"Phase 2" will begin when the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is launched. I will purchase the phone from Costco OR most likely Verizon (depending on when it will be available from Costco) and use my added line's upgrade to acquire said Note 3. When you bring your own device to add a line, the line is automatically month-to-month...meaning you get an automatic UPGRADE on the line.

Since I have a Note 2 (and a Droid Charge...) the Note 3 will undoubtedly use the same size SIM card (the 2FF.) This is just a matter, then, of removing the SIM from the Note 2 and put it on the Note 3. The Note 2 will then be replaced by the SIM card in my wife's Droid Charge. Then it's just calling Verizon and telling them to reactivated my dumb phone on the upgraded line, and removing the data plan from said phone line. It is 100% legal and not "against the law."

When conversing with other adults, please know what you are talking about so you don't get lurkers like me registering just so that others do not get misinformed.

This is what I'd recommend to the OP if she wants her husband to retain the warranty: get another line. Otherwise, if warranty nonsense isn't a concern, then just go ahead and take the in-laws' upgrade. There will be ways around warranty issue anyhow if it even has to come to that.

And yes, this is all for the purpose of having a hot phone and not losing any of my unlimited data lines (of which I have three...)