Re: Galaxy Note Edge after Marshmallow update randomly restarts its self and prompts for physical password...
Notrogd

This is happening to me as well. My device doesn't actually reboot (or if it does, it happens in milliseconds) before telling me that it has restarted and a password is needed.

The behavior appears random, at times happening very shortly after locking the phone and trying to open it again. This definitely started just after the update to Marshmallow.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note Edge after Marshmallow update randomly restarts its self and prompts for physical password...
Tayheelnc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The device typically locks up when I am trying to turn it back on after I had locked it. It then seems like it locks up for 30 seconds to 1 min. Then it just loads back up and prompts for that pass word. But I do have personal information backup on Google.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Updates are meant to improve your device Notrogd. I regret to learn of the difficulties you are experiencing. When did you update the software on your phone? What make and model phone are you using? Does the phone reset only when accessing certain applications?

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TonyStark
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for starting a new thread on this topic. I had recent posted a response mentioning this in "Galaxy Note Edge update to Marshmallow fails".

This was my experience about a month ago, you may or may not have had a similar experience...

"The VZW Software Upgrade Assistant has it as well as Samsung Smart Switch for PC. I think the problem is there was supposed to be a smaller prep update before the actual 6.0.1. The reason I think this is because my last software build wasn't recognized by VZW or Samsung, and I had reverted back to stock back in February.

So this was about 3 weeks ago... I used Smart Switch to upgrade because it had it before the VZW tool. Later that day, I got the notification I had an update waiting, and it was a slightly increased build number. The update screen this time was green and had white spinning cogs. Upon completion, some menus were different from previous update (storage,  settings). I decided to check VZW Upgrade Tool for PC and again, another update, and now I'm current.

So, the take away is, I had to do three different update methods to fix this update not found error.

Everything is fine now with the exception of the lock screen. Every now and then, regardless of wiping cache partition, my phone will lag, and then the lock screen will pop up. New to android 6.0  when you first power on your device or restart, you must enter your backup password that first time, then pattern or fingerprint will work. I get the purpose of this, however, when my phone lags and goes to lock screen; I see that message and have to enter password. It is very inconvenient at work when using phone for demos and diagnostics, and extremely inconvenient while driving when I need to make a call. I've encountered others on other forums with this problem, but no resolution from the VZW reps I've chatted with. I hope this helps some of you, if not all."

With that being said, I've chatted to reps on the phone about both issues with no resolve. I understand the reason for some canned platitudes, but at least 50% of VZW customers at minimum have to be tech savvy. So telling me to wipe cache partition and factory reset are not very helpful when I've gone into great detail about my problem and what I've done to alleviate on a technical basis. You can safely assume I know somewhat about what I'm doing as do plenty of others.

The responses on here at robotic at best. I would like something other than " Updates are meant to... Unfortunately... We're sorry.... Have you tired... ?". This stuff needs to be addressed and resolved by VZW,  instead of responses that seem like they are stalling until a "User"  finds the solution.

TonyStark
Enthusiast - Level 3

, forgot to tag you in previous post.

0 Likes
Tayheelnc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's the bad thing TonyStarkMK42 when Verizon pushes out patches it has to go through not only the Samsung side of the patch, but also the Verizon side of patching as well. That causes many delays in even pushing out a simple security patch.... Hopefully someone figures that this needs to be changed in order to keep customers around. But I am glad I was not the only one having this problem, I have done the same as you but I have not reached out to Tech support for that same reason of giving you the "I am sorry have you tried....." rather waste my time doing something else.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TonyStarkMK42,  I hear your concerns regarding this issue.  Do you notice any trends as to when the lock screen issue happens?  Once you enter the back up password, does it prompt you again before power cycling your phone?  Let me know, these details will be helpful.

TyraiT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KEHWa
Enthusiast - Level 1

As said the phone now requires a password on reboot, and this includes if the system reboots partway from a crash.

My experience and based on reading.  Samsung turned off Adaptable memory  because it doesn't work on their phones. Not sure if it works well on any phone, I haven't read that far.  I know it doesn't work on my Edge.  The story they made up was that they thought users would rather use SD cards to move files.  Bull.. Adaptable memory on recent Samsung's, even with their fast cards is a nightmare in 6.0

I had random reboots and lock ups. 

1) Don't find the command line fixes to make your phone uses adaptable memory.  IT will be a nightmare

2) Don't move any apps to the SD card, it will be a nightmare

3) Take out the SD card and Factory reset the phone.

I had tried the other two and even after formatting the SD back to normal usage and moving all the Apps back to main memory etc.  The phone was unstable.

Since I removed the SD card that helped, but the phone was still unstable especially when coming out "sleep" in the morning it would reset multiple times. 

So this week I did a full factory reset.  Reinstalled all my apps etc. NEVER put the SD card back and it has been very stable.  And no weird stall outs.  Marshmallow and or Samsung previous generation phones have issues with the RAM management from what I can find. I am more and more counting on cloud for music etc.  So actually still have over 13GB free when phone is configured.  No need for SD card so at this point will not even risk putting it back.

0 Likes
nilknoc

@Please help Verizon Support

My Samsung Galaxy Note Edge is failing with the Marsh mellow update.

I upgraded to Marshmallow assuming everything would work great but now my phone reboots randomly for no reason. It has become unusable. It is a Samsung Note Edge and it used to work great but now it reboots itself 20 times a day.

I did a factory reset and there was a reboot even after the reset.

I have cleaned the cache many times.

Many times the screen does not come up at all and I have to pull the battery to get the phone to boot.

Please help. My phone used to be great but now I simply can't use it.

0 Likes
WENHEA48

Mine did that as well. Try going into apps management and clearing the cache. Not a reset but the cache. It helps to some extent but the new security requires a password entry every 24 hours.

0 Likes