Re: Galaxy Note 8 Trade-In Promotion - Scam?
OLGJAR52
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes so true. 3 years ago the trade in promotion was great they gave you the trade in value up front against the cost of the new phone.  Then Verizon lies and says no more contact of 2 years any more. After that Verizon thinks everybody is a complete [Removed] and would think that a 24 month trade is credit is actually that it's not.  Its just a sneaky way of saying the new Verizon 2 year contract. Cause if at any time you don't want to pay monthly payments any more your are forced to pay out the remaining total. Which on terms could be considered a (early termination fee) another thing is the note only cost around $225 for retailers not $960 for consumers. So Verizon and Samsung both make a cool 600% not to mention the great amount of money they will get from recycling the trade in device.  But one thing is most definitely true Verizon is way more reliable on service. I tried to mobile for a week and I missed about 100 calls.  I'd say no one should trust the trade in deal scam its not a trade in deal its code name for 2 year  [Removed] . Plus the new pixel is coming soon and the new V30 from LG.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

DAVLAN6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon has a trade in policy on models less than six months old (iPhone came out right as Note7 buyback was occurring, s7e had been out longer than 6 months) as long as at least 50% of the phone's price has been paid.  We have paid 10 payments.  Buy the time they officially announce their "forgiveness" program, we probably will have paid 11. Verizon will only be "forgiving" 1 month of payment.  I will still have to pay full retail ($40) a month for the Note 8.  I am ok with this.  I just don't want to be saddled with paying on the s7e for 24 months, or paying off the entire amount before trade.

tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Half the problem is that Verizon is issuing no information.  If they are working out a program to accommodate the former Note 7 owners, they need to indicate that even if it is still in the works.  People can understand things being worked out and it would go a long way towards reducing the grumbling...

Zn6ft86
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just decided to take advantage of what samsung offers as note 7 user promo trade in because my s7e was already paid off & I just received replacement phone few days ago via warranty so I think it's safe to assume that full promo trade in value will be applied for me. It looks like samung promo apply $425 credit up front unlike what verizon is trying to trick customers. When I preordered my note 8 last night, it was clear that samsung is applying promo credit up front, because sales tax was applied after trade in value is applied. Also, that sales tax is included in total amount I financed unlike verizon wants you to pay $9X.xx tax upfront. I'm more than happy to pay extra $4.35 each month because one year later, I will end up with $290ish left over balance 1 year later compare to $480(with verizon with promo) in case I wold want to upgrade for note 9. Even if I decide to stay for 2 years, I only will end up pay $16 more. I did lil math below(tax calculated based on state of TN where I live).

● 2 yrs later after trade in ●

Samsung promo

$960 - $425 + $49.49 (sales tax in TN)

= $584.49 total paid after 2yrs

Verizon promo

$20 x 24 + $88.80(tax you pay up front)

= $568.80 total paid after 2 yrs

● 1 year later after trade in.●

Samsung  promo

$584.49 - $24.35 x 12

= $292.25 remaining balance

Verizon promo

$960 - $40 x 12 (because verizon finance whole 960 and apply 20 credit each month)

= $480 remaining balance and remaining trade in credit (amount of $240) will be gone if you decide to upgrade.

I hope this helps someone to decide

TechnoGeek4Life
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sprint is making it right for there customers.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Note-Series-Knowledge/Can-Note-7-buyers-upgrade-to-a-Note-8/...

Hopefully Verizon will to.

emoorman
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's just unfair to previous note 7 owners.

Both verizon and Samsung.com offer a trade in 'deal'. You trade in your phone for an amount vzw offers 480 and Samsung offers 425. That's not a deal, that's simply buying our phone that's in good condition.

With Samsung, you still have to pay over 500 out of pocket, and with vzw, you have to pay off the replacement phone. Mine is over 300. A true deal would offer the discount with no trade in.

Jarred915
Enthusiast - Level 1

I went in to Best Buy the day preorders started and when I found out Verizon won't do the give back on replacements for the Note 7 and you had to pay the whole phone off I started talking to other Carriers. I already know for a fact AT&T will give you up to $650 payoff per phone to switch to them and they have a discount deal that of you buy one note 8 on their yearly plan they will give you one on a very discounted deal. I figured I'll give Verizon a chance to make it right. If not then I'm Switching. If Verizon doesn't make it right for you or anyone else I highly recommend you check it out.

mama23dogs
Legend

Jarred915 wrote:

I went in to Best Buy the day preorders started and when I found out Verizon won't do the give back on replacements for the Note 7 and you had to pay the whole phone off I started talking to other Carriers. I already know for a fact AT&T will give you up to $650 payoff per phone to switch to them and they have a discount deal that of you buy one note 8 on their yearly plan they will give you one on a very discounted deal. I figured I'll give Verizon a chance to make it right. If not then I'm Switching. If Verizon doesn't make it right for you or anyone else I highly recommend you check it out.

Read the ATT offer carefully.  The $650 switch offer is only to pay off your phone balance, not a full $650 (same as Verizon's offer).   The maximum credit on the BOGO deal is $750, or $375 off each phone.  Do the math, the Samsung deal may be better as they are offering $425.  Verizon is offering $480 for unqualified paid off phones. 

FYI the switch offers don't pay out all at once, the remainder may take weeks or months.

Meanwhile you still have a lump sum bill due right away from Verizon, which seems to be what you are trying to avoid.

mama23dogs
Legend

emoorman wrote:

It's just unfair to previous note 7 owners.

Both verizon and Samsung.com offer a trade in 'deal'. You trade in your phone for an amount vzw offers 480 and Samsung offers 425. That's not a deal, that's simply buying our phone that's in good condition.

With Samsung, you still have to pay over 500 out of pocket, and with vzw, you have to pay off the replacement phone. Mine is over 300. A true deal would offer the discount with no trade in.

It isn't Verizon's job (or AT&T, T-mobile etc) to make you a deal.  It was up to Samsung and this is all they are offering.  If you are that insulted, don't buy from Samsung again. 

Did you know they preorder for the Note 8 set a record? 

Do you understand that Samsung has no insentive to offer a (better) deal when everyone is banging down the door? 

Jealbr
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are US based, please take a few minutes to file a fraud complaint with the FTC against Samsung and Verizon. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information#crnt&panel1-1

I would encourage you to do this since they promised us we would be able to trade our phones back in and not be penalized once the note debacle was sorted out. I like many have been unable to and have been locked into the loaner phone I have unless I pay out their extortion demands.