Can I retreive all of my texts after a factory reset?
bbillb

I guess Verizon only saves 90 days worth of texts when you backup your phone.

After doing a factory reset I was only able to retrieve 90 days worth of texts.

Is there any way to retrieve all of my texts??

I thought I had backed everything up to my google account.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any way to retreive all of your texts after factory reset??
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Text messages aren't backed up to the Google account. At least not yet and only if the developer designed their application to do so. The Verizon Messages+ application most likely isn't setup that way.

I would suggest that you use one of the many SMS Backup applications available in the Play Store to backup the messages to the location of your choice. I recently transferred six years of messages from one device to another using such an application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Text messages aren't backed up to the Google account. At least not yet and only if the developer designed their application to do so. The Verizon Messages+ application most likely isn't setup that way.

I would suggest that you use one of the many SMS Backup applications available in the Play Store to backup the messages to the location of your choice. I recently transferred six years of messages from one device to another using such an application.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello bbillb,

I know how important it is to keep your messages backed up. When you backup your phone for the first time, the Verizon Cloud can only save the past 90 days worth of messages. After the initial backup, it will start to backup all of your new messages going forward. Please click this link and look for “How many of my text messages will sync to Verizon Cloud?” for further details. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-cloud-faqs/

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I had a s 5 and would use smart switch and do a full backup of my phone and when I would do the factory reset I would get everything from txt to wifi settings back on the phone

janetswails

If the cloud only keeps 90 days of messages, WHY DOES IT SAY THAT I HAVE OVER 12,000 MESSAGES?  That is the number of messages that I had before factory reset.  Had I known that I would lose ALL of this data, which was EXTREMELY important to me, I would have just bought a new phone and kept this one so I would have access to those messages.  I'm very upset that the Verizon rep who recommended the factory reset did not tell me this.  It's a huge loss to me, both personally and professionally -- there is no way for me to express how important this was to me.  Two things:  (1) why didn't the rep tell me this would happen; and (2)  why does the cloud itself tell me I have over 12,000 messages when there's no way I can access them?  This makes no sense to me at all.  And I spent nearly an hour on the phone with today's rep only to make this discovery.  What a waste of time.

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes