Re: Anyone else having poor RF signal reception on Samsung Galaxy Note 3?
GregTal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I rolled the dice and had my job order me a new Note 3  ... hopefully round 2 is better. If not I will NOT let the 14 day return policy slip away and return it for a Note 2. Currently Verizon only shows CPO Note 2 (in white, yuck!) on their site, but I loved my N2 and never had an issue with it.

0 Likes
GregTal
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>Duplicate post removed to comply with the .  See <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
ttown_
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a new owner of the Galaxy note 3 and still own my iPhone 5.  Here is my situation, I have the VZ network extender in my house and have tied both the iPhone and Note 3 to it.  For reasons I can't explain, the cell coverage on the Note 3 is DISMAL!  I researched on line, did all the suggested steps to correct but unfortunately, I still on a good day, receive one bar.  Conversely, my iPhone 5, same spot in house receive 5 bars!  What is even more frustrating, I drop calls on the Note in my house, but not the iPhone.  I spent 30 minutes on the phone with VZ Tech Support and giving VZ benefit of doubt will say, call was dropped.  I would have appreciated a call back but never received. 

Anyway, I am we'll in my return window at BB in terms of phone and was wondering if a newer model existed.  I am on software version N900/ Android 4.3.  To test wi fi connection I sent a text to myself that included an image.  The iPhone sent as it should over my wifi in my house,  The Galaxy, did not.  I turned on mobile data at this point and message sent. 

Love the phone, but need to figure this out.  Any suggestions?  Thank you

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Since you're within the return window, I'd suggest getting a different phone.  Not a replacement Note 3.  Different model.  I was excited about the Note 3 but I was in the sticks when it was released.  By the time I got back to civilization, there were many reports of garbled voice calls and poor reception.  I still wanted to take a look at it so I went hunting for one to try in several Verizon stores in February and March.  Not one store had a display model.  That set off enough alarm bells that I decided to wait for another phone.

When you go to the store, check the actual signal strength of the phones.  Not the number of bars.  Go to Settings, About phone, Status.  Look at the signal strength.  Keep in mind it's a negative number so -77 dBm is better than -85 dBm.

0 Likes
ttown_
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  My signal strength from note 3 today is all over the map.  At one point, it reads -68dBM and as I type this, now reads -117dBM.  Conversely, my iPhone  has full bars/strength.  Getting frustrated with this and am hopeful a pending update or a fix will correct.  IDK, I have tried rebooting router, VZ Network extender, phone also removed SIM Card and reset it.   Still no solid, consistent signal coming from note3.  TY

jtown
Contributor - Level 3

I just read in another thread that the 4.4 update for the Note 3 is out.  You may as well give it a shot.  Can't make things worse.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
ttown_
Enthusiast - Level 2

I looked around online and don't see anything.  Checked my phone and it says no update avail.  Maybe later? 

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

Sometimes it takes multiple attempts.  I used to have to to "the update dance" on my Galaxy Nexus.  Stop the update service, clear cache and data, check software update (which would say last checked in 1969 at this point), rinse, repeat until it finally detected the update and let me install it.

0 Likes
MyNote3Problems
Enthusiast - Level 3

Under no circumstance let your return window pass. Get another phone. You wont find another Note 3 but you will at least have something that works. I swapped mine at 6 months in for a Galaxy 5.

Guess what? No more signal issues.

Do not wait on some mysterious upgrade to fix it. The problem lies with the Note 3 Antenna Power Management code and Samsung is not going to admit a problem, much less fix it.

Go now. Get out of it while you can. Good luck

J7DET
Enthusiast - Level 2

"MyNote3Problems" -

I've done everything as well with phone replacement, factory re sets, etc.  sooo with this said I've read a lot of your posts..

I've had my note 3 for about 6 months as well.. How were you able to swap for the galaxy s5?

0 Likes