Re: Android OS Update
Mediamarkcolo

To what are you replying "wrong"?

0 Likes
Mediamarkcolo

So, despite all your interesting replies, does anyone know when we will get Marshmallow for our version Samsung phones?

0 Likes
ThomasPII
Enthusiast - Level 3

My guess is sometime after Android OS "N" is released to everyone else later this year.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It won't be released to everyone this year.  Some Nexus will get it this year.  Some other manufacturers and models....next year.

0 Likes
cchamp77
Contributor - Level 1

Marshmallow being released to note 4 on sprint this week so maybe we will get it soon...lol

0 Likes
angelsix
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, is there any commitment by Verizon to do any more upgrades to our Note 4's?  Conversely, is there some reason to conclude we are not getting more Android upgrades?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Samsung makes the decision on whether or not one of their phone models will be updated. Verizon Wireless has no say in that particular decision.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Biscuitti

Yes and No.  Samsung makes the decision on which of their devices are updated to the latest OS.  Then they release that OS to the carriers to distribute that OS to each of their customers with that device.  Usually each carrier then performs tests on that version of the OS to make sure there are no problems or conflicts with their network that will arise for their customers. 

For whatever the reason, Verizon has historically been the slowest of all carriers to update Android Operating Systems on their devices. 

So any delays in the release of software patches and or OS updates occurring between the initial release by google and the eventual update to the device is a shared responsibility between manufacturer and carrier.  For that reason, if you are someone that requires the latest OS or software patch ASAP, you are better off with an unlocked Nexus device direct from google or if you have to have a carrier locked device, stay away from Verizon as a carrier until their track record improves.  

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually Verizon isn't always the slowest.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Biscuitti

Sprint, US Cellular, and T-Mobile have all either announced or released the marshmallow update for the Galaxy Note 4.  AT&T and Verizon have remained quiet about any future update.  Looks like it's a race to the bottom between AT&T and Verizon to see who is slower at providing their customers with new (well roughly 6 month old) features and security measures to enhance and protect their Mobil experience.  I won't be surprised if my Project Fi Nexus phone gets Android N when Verizon Note 4 is still on Lollipop.

0 Likes