Will Verizon EVER offer Unlimited Data for prepaid Data Only plans?
Bgrimm61

I have been a Verizon Prepaid JetPack customer for more than a year now. I usually go with the $60 5GB plan, but recently have been paying $100 for 10GB. I wish they could offer UNLIMITED DATA for $100 or so. Why do they offer it on the postpaid plans, but not the prepaid data only plans? Does NOT seem fair!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon EVER offer Unlimited Data for prepaid Data Only plans?
rcschnoor
Legend

IF they were to do so, it would most likely come with the same restrictions their other unlimited data plans come with, i.e. throttling data usage on the hotspot/jetpack down to 600 kbps once you reach a data threshold of 15 GB. Many are saying that is an unusable speed on their jetpack/hotspot. Do you really want your jetpack limping along at that speed? This is a much lower data speed than what you likely are getting currently on your jetpack.

If you want a Verizon jetpack with unlimited data WITHOUT any throttling, you may want to look into service with Unlimitedville.com which offers service with any of the 4 major carriers WITHOUT any throttling. Of course it is more expensive than the service you can get with Verizon but it DOES NOT have any throttling of your data speed regardless how much you use.

0 Likes
BRICOL69

I have Unlimitedville.com and streaming video is being throttled.  So even Unlimitedville is suffering under the data throttling. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Good to know, however are you sure it is not just because it is on a tower which is experiencing a high amount of traffic? If a tower can only supply so much data per second yet there are requests for more data than it can supply, your data speed can "seem" like it is being throttled when in fact it is simply because of the traffic on the tower at the time.

Look at highways for a good example. During rush hour on a highway, I can be going at a speed of 10-15 mph when the speed limit of that road is 55 mph. The local authorities ARE NOT throttling the speed on that highway, the speed is simply slowed because there is more traffic than the road can handle. The same can happen on a cellular network when there is more traffic than the cellular tower can handle. Does not mean you are being throttled. I would contact Unlimitedville.com to inquire, because they are STILL advertising you are paying for data which is not throttled and you are ALSO paying a premium for that data. It might turn out you are in fact being throttled, it mat also turn out you are not.

0 Likes