Slow LTE Data on prepaid
ssauls0613
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why are the data speeds so slow with a full signal and an LTE connection on an iPhone7.  Less that 1mbps download. 

Please note that this is a screen capture.  The signal strength was full at the time. 

IMG_0701.PNG

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Slow LTE Data on prepaid
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get your speeds fixed, ssauls0613. When did this first start? Is this happening in one area or multiple locations? Have you tried restarting your device? We can also take a look at your area and see if there are any outages. Can we please have your ZIP Code?

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!   

0 Likes
FleetPaw
Enthusiast - Level 1

You are not the only one with this issue. Myself and several others have the same issue because our data is deprioritized behind other Verizon customers when the towers are congested. I know this is true because whenever I cross the bridge into the next state over (which is only a couple minutes away), I am switched to a different tower and my speeds are a lot faster there.

Rest of my family has an actual Verizon plan and have no issues at all with speed. I, myself, will be switching to an actual plan today because I can't stand having slow data.

Mjbphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here.  I am a network engineer so I went through many troubleshooting steps over course of two weeks. Change Sims. Modified settings. Modified APN. Factory wiped phone. Purchased another prepaid phone. Swapped Sims back and forth. All test resulted in slow internet speeds. Have 2 bars only receiving .03 Meg's a second. Sometimes it would not even run the tests and get network communication errors. I attempted test on both phones in multiple counties and states. Varying times a day and under different weather conditions. I sent an a trouble ticket that was escalated up to 3rd teir support. No resolutio.

All the time I was doing the testing I was also using a contract phone to compare the results. All speed test on the contract phone scored significantly higher. The only conclusion that in store tech support and myself could come too is that it was prepaid service that is negatively affected. I even had the in store rep put my SIM card into his phone and he experienced similar results on prepaid.

Today I purchased a prepaid AT&T phone can get significantly higher results on one bar a service. I'm receiving speeds of 7 Megs a second on one bar of 4G, not LTE. Two or three bars on Verizon prepaid 4g lte yield results of .03 to .75 Megs a second. I have screenshots and videos of all testing done so there is not much they could have done to dispute.

Needless to say I'm dumping Verizon. There's is no reason I should be forced into a contract in the more expensive plan to use the data that I paid for. Especially considering the prepaid customers pay for the service up front

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mjbphone, we would never want to lose you as our customer.  It's our goal to make sure we do everything we possibly can to get you the best possible service.  While we are unable to access prepaid accounts, our Prepaid department can be reached at 888-294-6804 or via Chat in the MyVerizon application on your Prepaid device.

SeanC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jw110
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue here.  I live in the Denver area and ever since switching from TMobile to Verizon my data is slow.  The rollover data is a joke, because I will NEVER come close to reaching the cap with less than dialup speeds / sites never loading due to the slowness.  I wanted Verizon due to Voice coverage with at least semi-decent speeds.  My wife was wanting to come to Verizon but now she is going to stay with TMobile.

What I am upset most about, I have 6GBs of data without the rollover (over the 12GB mark with rollover), and I cannot even get past 300MB in a month due to the speeds!  If it wasn't for my xfinity wifi hotspots, I would be So Out of Luck.  I mean at least I can pull over in a neighborhood and get data to look up an address or map, or if my wife is with me, T-Mobile will work blazing fast.

In large print they need to state "during peak times, which is all the time, your service is less than 56K speeds".  I was expecting lunch, and rush hour times / near bed time to be the busiest and degraded to no less than 5Mbps, but this is all the time.  It is a shame and feels like false advertising to me when I can never dream of hitting the cap.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having quick speeds is a must Jw110. We are here and ready to get this figured out. What is your exact zip code? Do you know of any other Verizon users experiencing this problem in your area? Are you also on Prepaid or Postpaid?

AlbertoR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mjbphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally canceled and went to AT&T prepaid. AT&T has less coverage here

but Service is 1000% better. No problems with data or dropped calls

everywhere I go.

I have unlimited data and speed does not get reduced untill I reach 22

gigs. Only cost $10 more a month.

I would suggest giving Verizon the boot. I bought a go phone to test prior

to switching. Only took me 24 hours to decide.

jw110
Enthusiast - Level 1

80465 prepaid.

I do not know of any other pre-paid Verizon customers only post-paid, who do not experience the problems.

@mjbphone thanks for that I will take a look into AT&T after I talk with pre-paid Verizon to see if they want to keep me as a customer or not.

0 Likes
Mjbphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. Nothing found with post paid. Pre-paid (non 3rd party vendors)

Only.

0 Likes