Mom: month-to-month, Me: prepaid. Can she take over my phone?
valerieinto

Hi, guys. the subject pretty much says it. Mom's on a very old phone she can't read well, and I'm leaving the country and have no use for my basic Gusto she can read great. Is there any chance her number can move to mine? Is there more/less of a chance she can move her month-to-month plan to my phone?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mom: month-to-month, Me: prepaid. Can she take over my phone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as your prepaid phone has activated as a prepaid phone for six months or more you can switch it to a postpaid account. I would suggest use all the funds on your prepaid account so that the balance is zero and call the prepaid customer service and close/cancel your account. You will lose your phone number. If you want to hold on to it, then port the number to Google Voice prior to canceling the account. Then you mom can turn off her phone and using her My Verizon account online activate her phone number on your old phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eday
Enthusiast - Level 3

Need more info. So you have 2 lines yours and moms. It is possible to move your phone to hers. If your line is in contract then to disconnect you will pay etf. If she wants prepay she needs to be out of contract or pay etf

0 Likes
valerieinto

She's out of contract; I'm prepaid and top-up on a regular basis, so I'm not sure if I'm "in contract". Also, what does "etf" mean? Thanks.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Early Termination Fee

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as your prepaid phone has activated as a prepaid phone for six months or more you can switch it to a postpaid account. I would suggest use all the funds on your prepaid account so that the balance is zero and call the prepaid customer service and close/cancel your account. You will lose your phone number. If you want to hold on to it, then port the number to Google Voice prior to canceling the account. Then you mom can turn off her phone and using her My Verizon account online activate her phone number on your old phone.

0 Likes
valerieinto

Okay. The catch is I've only had my prepaid phone for 4 months. I understand the process, though. I think she'll just take mine over and cancel hers (again, she's out of contract, so there's not so much an etf?), and deal with the number change. Once we get to 6 months, she may see if she can get a better month-to-month deal (possible, as she's over 65).

That was really helpful. Thanks, guys!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

valerieinto, we love to provide you with the flexibility to have our amazing service on a month to month basis with our prepaid service. This option does not require a contractual agreement.

As a reflection of our comittment to you, we provide promotional discount pricing on our phones to our customers with a two year agreement. If you cancel services before your contract expires, you will be billed an ETF. This stands for an "Early Termination Fee."

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes