Mobile device blocked by carrier
JohnInPortland
Enthusiast - Level 2

Three days ago I switched to a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy S20+ Android phone (purchased directly from Samsung) on my current prepaid Verizon wireless plan. I did not ask to change anything about my Verizon plan or phone number. The unlocked phone set up correctly on the Verizon network (as far as I could tell) with no problems.

Everything seems to be working fine in terms of the phone, SMS messaging, internet connection,  Samsung Pay, etc. 

However, today I received separate emails from the banks whose Android apps I use, saying:

Your mobile device number has been blocked by your carrier”.

From examining the sender email addresses and from their timing, I am certain these are genuine email alerts from my banks and not some scam. 

Please advise what I need to do to continue to get Verizon to "unblock" my new phone.

0 Likes
Re: Mobile device blocked by carrier
RAEWAI

I have the same messages after I activated a new phone and swapped with my husband's phone.  Not only did we get a blocked msg from the bank, but also facebook.

0 Likes
mr_stealth
Enthusiast - Level 2

This just happened to me after upgrading to an S20+ through Verizon. My number was definitely blocked, because I receive a Verizon message when I try to call any of my bank's numbers. The message doesn't say blocked, but as if the number doesn't exist/can't be completed as dialed.

Called the bank first, an another line. They had me send a short code message to their system, which claimed to unblock my number. But I was still unable to call the bank. Strangely, I was still able to receive 2FA security codes on my new phone, even before trying to call and fix this.

Ended up having to call Verizon after that, and after being passed up to higher level tech support, got someone that was able to fix the issue. He had to reset a bunch of things with my account/service on Verizon's end, and everything seems to be working after that.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JohnInPortland,

Seeing that your device has some sort of block wouldn't give me a good feeling either. Let's make sure your newly purchased S20+ is working the way it should be. To begin, what's being done on the phone to initiate the message to come through (Utilizing the banking app, calling the bank, etc.)? 

Also, RAEWAI, was your device purchased directly through a manufacturer as well, or did you buy your phone through Verizon? Please explain what actions you're taking with the bank and on Facebook that initiate these messages to come through. How are your alerts coming through (email, text, etc.)?

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mr_Stealth, I'm glad that you were abler to gain the resolve to the matter. We appreciate you sharing these details with the rest of the VZW community. 

0 Likes
oldlumina

I just switched to a new iPhone bought from Apple and am having this issue... super frustrating!

0 Likes
TunaFamily

I also received an email this morning from this bank saying "My mobile device number is blocked by your carrier." 

I can still make outgoing calls on cellular service, so I'm not sure what is going on.

I contacted Verizon Customer Support, and they did not know what I was referring to. According to them, the only type of "blocking" they do is when you block soliciting calls. 

They confirmed that everything is okay with my account, so I'm not sure what happened. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

oldlumina,

We want nothing but the best experience on your new device. Did you receive an email like the OP described? Please provide further details.

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
oldlumina

Yes I received an email. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying! Are you also using a Prepaid account or is it postpaid with a monthly bill? 

0 Likes