I want to block ALL data services on my LG Revere prepaid phone...is it possible?
DogwoodSprings
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently upgraded to an LG Revere.  This is a prepaid phone where I pay 0.15/minute as an old Alltel customer.  I just looked at my account usage and found that my balance is dwindling QUICKLY due to data sessions.  I don't use any internet or web services at all.  I rarely text and honestly my phone is OFF most of the time because I live in the country and it truly doesn't work well out here.

Can I block all data services and just have a pay by the minute situation on this phone?

Thanks!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I want to block ALL data services on my LG Revere prepaid phone...is it possible?
Creosote

I just registered for the forums so I could try to find an answer to this precise same question, with an LG Revere and a grandfathered Alltel account.

Various discussions that turn up via Google say that it's possible to have a "data block" added to one's account. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to do this via the online or voice support menus, and I have not yet figured out how to get through to an actual customer support rep on the phone.

I did manage to reduce the data charges from $0.75/day to $0.15/day by doing a factory reset (Settings & Tools / Phone Settings / Security / Restore Phone), which got rid of the Backup Assistant program. But the phone still seems to be making a network data connection every time it is turned on daily, even though I'm not using any services.

15 cents a day isn't a lot, but it's the principle of the thing.

0 Likes
Re: I want to block ALL data services on my LG Revere prepaid phone...is it possible?
DogwoodSprings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Creosote...Thanks for your response.  I had also sent Verizon an email about this issue but when Monday came, I just couldn't leave it alone so I started calling ... again.  When I couldn't get to a real person I called the local Verizon office and told them my problem.  They claimed they couldn't do anything over the phone but if I came it they could fix it.  Since my local office is 35 miles away I opted to be transferred to customer service.  Before she transferred me I got the 800 number to call in case I got stuck in the "round and round we go" in robo-land which is exactly what happened.  By the way, the number is 800-922-0204.  I can't remember how I got to a real person but it is possible so don't give up.  If you try hitting zero, they will hang up on you.  I asked to have all data services blocked on my phone because of the ongoing charges and the fact that I was supposed to be grandfathered in from an Alltel plan.  The gal claimed it could be done and did it!  Now, it has only been one day but there has not been a "data session" charge on my account so far today.  Not only that, but I just turned my phone on (we don't use our much, hence the reason we have prepaid) and lo and behold they credited my account by $6.75!  Wow, I didn't even ask for that!  Yippee!  Don't give up, you shouldn't have to pay even 15 cents a day in my opinion.  Good Luck!

0 Likes
DogwoodSprings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hold the phone!  I just saw that I was charged for a "data session" yesterday.  Calling again today...

0 Likes
Creosote

Insane. I did finally get a reply to the email I sent customer support suggesting some hoops I could jump through to get data blocking to happen, but I'm close to the point of giving up. It's basically a $4.50/month added "tax" on the account as it stands, but on the other hand the per-voice-minute and per-message cost of the old Alltel plan is 10 cents less, so I'm probably still ahead of what I'd be paying as a brand-new Verizon prepaid customer.

0 Likes
DogwoodSprings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I neglected to say in my first msg that I DID get an response from my email sent on Sunday but since I got a real person on the phone that said she had fixed my problem on her end I did follow the instructions.  Today, I did what the email said which is the following:

There is a known issue with Alltel plans and the LG Revere. On your phone, you have an application called “Daily Scoop,” which is a free service, but data charges do apply. If Daily Scoop was preinstalled on your phone when you purchased it, you may turn on or off notifications for both Verizon Messages and Bonus Messages through the application directly. Please follow the steps below to stop the data session charges for the “Daily Scoop:” 

•        To access the Daily Scoop, click on Media Center

•        Then Browse & Download menu

•        Select the Daily Scoop icon

•        Once In Daily Scoop

•        Go to Menu

•        Then Options

•        Select Verizon Messages

•        You then have the option to turn On/Off – Select OFF

•        Hit CLR two times to go back to options

•        Select Bonus Messages

•        You then have the option to turn On/Off – Select OFF

You will still be able to access messages from the application, but you will not receive banner notifications on your home screen. You may choose to suspend Daily Scoop account by contacting vzdailyscoopsupport@mobileposse.com.

I called again and the gal seemed to think that I was good to go.  Again, I won't know until Friday most likely.  They credited my account for the data session yesterday and the two today that occurred when I turned off the msg options.  I will be sending a msg to vzdailyscoopsupport next.

By the way, in order to get a real person from the 800 number, you enter your phone #, option 4, option 4, option 5, enter your security code and they should connect you to a live body.

I will update again on Friday to let you know how it's going.  Hopefully I'm on my way and maybe with this you will be too Smiley Happy

DogwoodSprings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, still getting charged...over the last two days 60cents.  Called again.  Now the guy tells me that it isn't possible to stop the data sessions.  What a bunch of crap or rather bullshit (that's when she told me that needed to remain professional) .  I was told on 5/21, then again on 5/23 that this was all going to stop.  It hasn't.  I bumped it up to a supervisor who told me that it couldn't be done unless I switched to a Verizon prepaid plan.  Hmmm, why would I want to do that, it COSTS more...

Not only that, they refused to credit my account for the lastest 60 cents.

I asked to speak to her manager and of course, he's out today.  I asked to speak to the managers manager and lo and behold there isn't anyone higher.  What?  Two managers up is the president of Verizon, I don't think so...  I am going to call back sometime the middle of next week and see if I can get through to someone that will help me.

Truly, this IS INSANE....

Creosote

I hear you. Way too much aggravation for the situation.

I'm just going to live with my $4.50/month nickel-and-diming, as I'd lose more than it's worth in time and sanity to do anything else at this point.

0 Likes
DogwoodSprings
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was out of town for 3 days over the Memorial Day weekend.  I had my phone with me and it was ON the whole time.  I usually leave it off when at home since it doesn't really work very well at my house anyway and it's a prepaid and I have a land line for all calls.  It's now Friday (June 1), a week since my last call to Verizon to get this mess straightened out and I have NOT had a "data session" charged to my phone May 25th.  Hmmmm, could it have something to do with leaving my phone on? Beats me but I'm going to leave it on and see.  I can charge this phone for less than $0.15-$1.00/day.  Time will tell.

0 Likes
DogwoodSprings
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today is 6.6.12, and I have NOT been charged for any "data sessions" since 5.25.12.  I'm leaving my phone on all the time and will do so for another week or two, checking occasionally for charges.  I plan turn it off at that time to see if there are any charges for data sessions and if they appear again, then I'll just keep my phone on all the time.  Looks like it CAN BE DONE!!!!!

0 Likes