3g signal issues
jaypuck

I have a Droid X with PRL version 53269. When I am at work, I get full 3g service with no problems. When I go home, as soon as I cross the county line into zip code 24228 I start roaming and lose 3g. If you watch the phone it goes back and forth from 3g with 3-4 bars of signal and roaming with the same signal level and finally settles on roaming. I've tried locking it to "Home Only" and when I get to the same spot I just lose signal.

I know 3g service is available in 24228 because several of my family members have Verizon (contracts though, not prepaid) and we can be standing in the same room and they have full signal 3g (we don't have 4g here yet) while I'm roaming. A local rep said that he had heard my phone had 3g reception issues, but I recently borrowed a Droid 2 Global from a friend and tried it. I lose 3g signal at the same place I lost it with the Droid X.

Is there something different about prepaid accounts that is causing me to not get 3g when a normal, contract account does? If not, can anyone explain why this happens?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 3g signal issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jaypuck! I'm glad that you ask about coverage on Prepaid accounts. Yes, there is a difference between prepaid and postpaid coverage. The best way to see what kind of coverage you can expect in zip code 24228 (as well as other areas of the VZW service area), please consult our online Coverage Map at this link: http://vz.to/TMzFyz

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
jaypuck

Should I be looking at "Prepaid" or "Data Coverage"? Both are pretty

similar and neither make sense as my brother and I live next door to

each other and those addresses show no signal coverage for anything

selected. Yet he and his wife have full 3g signals and I am roaming.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for asking jaypuck. You should be looking at the Prepaid coverage. I do show that zip code has many spots of no service which would indicate variable/spotty coverage. Some model phones may be able to pick up stronger signal than others in low signal areas, but generally Motorola is pretty good. I would suggest looking into a network extender for indoor signal http://bit.ly/AKkC.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes