Re: Phone app asks for carrier number
Phadeguy

This is what I just heard you say:  “The standard procedure for issues occurring after an update provided by Verizon is to wipe the target device and reinstall everything.  We have found that this might solve the issue, but not all the time.”

I do have my base information backed up (photos, emails, etc), but app settings such as screen page placement, notification silence settings (allow all notification alarms for this app, vibrate only for this app, silently show only for this app, ignore all for this app), app synchronization settings, and so on are BY FAR the most difficult to restore.  I am not aware of a backup procedure for these attributes, which means that I must either simply remember what the settings were or annoyingly bump into each problem setting as they occur so that I can reset them, over and over again.  When I get a new phone, it typically takes about a month to iron all those settings out.  I do not want to spend the next month doing all that again simply because a Verizon software update broke the device. 

Does Verizon provide a backup procedure for app screen placement, app notification settings, and app synchronization settings?

0 Likes
Re: Phone app asks for carrier number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Phadeguy,

I completely understand not wanting to deal with the restoration process you've mentioned. The great news is that Samsung's direct backup and restore process (Samsung Cloud) will back up your home screen layout, among other settings: http://spr.ly/660614vqY

And as for doing the factory reset itself, this is the way to address the concern if indeed it is an error taking place. However, if this is part of the new update by design, a factory reset will not accomplish anything.

I'd like to have you try manually setting your carrier to automatic in the settings. This can be done by following the steps detailed here: http://spr.ly/660714vql From the "Networks operators" screen, you will be able to have Verizon set as your automatic carrier. Once you've set this preference, please try another phone call and let us know if this helps.

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes