Re: HTC One M8 - Marshmallow Sluggish Performance
Capecuddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my experience, the slow response before apps react is related to

wireless performance. Try disabling wireless in an area with good 4G

coverage and see how your phone performs. If the answer is "Wow, pretty

well!" Then, before you enable Wi-Fi again, power off your net router and

your cable modem, if they are not one and the same. Keep power off for >30

seconds, then reboot your modem /router. Then activate your phone's Wi-Fi.

My serious problems were gone when I did that. Why that worked for me, I've

no idea but it did and I'm now a happy marshmallow user on HTC One m8.

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Capecuddy, you may be on to something! I shut everything down and reconnected one step at a time. My first reaction is the phone is running much better. Time will tell. I'll monitor and report back in a few days to see if my problems are over. If you don't hear from me, I was either abducted by aliens or everything is running so well I forgot I ever had a problem and never thought about this discussion thread again. Either way, it's good. Either I make a lot of new friends (or get eaten), or my Marshmallow is behaving. Not sure which one I'm hoping for, but I want to see how season 3 of The Blacklist turns out, so unless the aliens are also addicted to it, I'm hoping they abduct someone else. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seemed to help for a while. Back to very sluggish. Noticed it had been 7 days since I rebooted, so tried that. It'll probably help for a little while. I guess I'm stuck with Marshmallow. I don't suppose it's possible or realistic to roll back to good old Lollipop.

0 Likes
slb5146
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try the free Advanced Task Killer and kill all the checked task.  The ones that are  needed will restart automatically. You may need to do this a few times. After you do this restart the phone.

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion slb5146. I used to run that years ago on my Motorola Droid X. It was necessary. I'm pretty sure that was an indictment of that version of Android. After one of the major upgrades, it was no longer needed.

I've never needed it on the HTC One M8, which I bought in August, 2014. It ran Kit-Kat initially. Then a few months later Lollipop was pushed to it, and I didn't have problems with it. Marshmallow has been a mess. Part of me wants to try your suggestion, and I will if all else fails, but a bolt-on task killer that constantly fights apps and Android itself seems to be admitting defeat and a huge condemnation of Android. It just shouldn't be necessary, especially given how many iterations there have been of Android. It's not like they're in the early stages of this; google should know how to write a kick-ass OS by now. It's really disappointing.

0 Likes
slb5146
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not had to use the Advanced Task Killer after the first week of going to Marshmallow.  It's been running fine since then.

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Six months ago things were getting a bit sluggish, and moreover, I noticed my battery was running down pretty fast even though I hadn't done all that much. I check the battery usage and found some of the worst offenders were apps I hadn't used at all. Amazon Shopping was the absolute worst, using more of my battery than any other non-system app, and I hadn't used it once! Some of the news sites were also using a lot. I disabled ten apps, and my battery life was much improved, as was performance by a bit. I guess Amazon couldn't use my phone to spy on me anymore, so I got some of my phone back! I still have the apps, and I can still click on them and they'll run, just not in the background.

Unfortunately, I'm now using very little battery--I still have 81% left and my phone's been unplugged from the charger since I unplugged it 9 hours ago. When I check on who's using battery, it's mostly phone functions: Android System 38%, Cell standby 19%, Phone idle 15%, Wi-Fi 7%. The only two apps it lists are Message+ at 16%, which seems extremely high, and Xfinity Connect at 4%. Not sure what to do about Message+; I can't disable it or I wouldn't get my text messages, even though I've only received a couple today. I guess it's constantly checking. Seems pretty inefficient, though, to use that much battery.

The problem is I need to know what's using CPU cycles, not battery usage. I assume they're very closely correlated, but it would be nice to know for sure. I don't know of a way to check CPU usage, so I'm using battery usage as a proxy.

I guess I'll either try Advanced Task Killer or use the App manager to disable every app I can and see if that improves the response time of the phone. If not, I'll have to wait for google, HTC, or Verizon to fix the problems in Marshmallow, or its implementation on the HTC One M8, or on Verizon if they also have their chef's hat on in the kitchen. I'm not clear whether Verizon does anything to the O/S once they get it from HTC, or if they just push it unmodified.

So frustrating to have bought what was, in my opinion, the best smartphone on the market back 20 months ago, and to have it work great until google messes it up with a bad operating system is really, really annoying. (Unless HTC's to blame. My wife bought a Nexus 6P a couple months ago, which was running stock Marshmallow out of the box. It's been running fine, but I also know she doesn't have nearly as many apps running as I do.)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want your device to run as smooth as a top, slb5146. Advanced Task Killer is not the best way to go. Here is a list of high risk apps for you. http://vz.to/1ewlekG
Then I would like you to wipe your cache partition. Temporary storage of system data. It allows the system to access apps more quickly and effectively. Sometimes needs to be cleaned due to being outdated and cluttered. Which in turns makes the system to run more smoothly.
Yes, this is SAFE. You will not lose a single piece of personal content. You will not mess up your phone.
Get into bootloader
1. Power off phone
2. Press and hold Vol down , press power button until you seebootloader (3 happy androids on skateboards at bottom of page). Release vol down.
Open Recovery
1. Select Recovery by using vol down, press Power to select.
2. Wait. This takes a while.
3. You will now see a screen with a picture of a phone with a red exclamation mark on it. Press in power button, keep it pressed, and press volume up button shortly (do not keep it pressed). Release power button.
4. You will now see a menu with yellow text on-top of it.
5. Select Wipe Cache partition with vol down. Press Power to select. Now it wipes the cache partition. Done!
6. It should now have marked Reboot system now. Press Power to select. Phone will now reboot to normal mode.

Please keep us updated if this works for you.

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
slb5146
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have never used any of the high risk apps in the list. 

I am not having a problem with my M8 but the Wipe Cache partition seemed like a good thing to do occasionally so I did it on both of our M8's.

I do believe my M8 is more responsive after the Wipe Cache partition and it did not take more than a minute or so to do the Wipe.  It was guick and easy following your instructions.  I put a copy of the instructions in my Evernotes for future use.

Thanks for the step by step.

0 Likes
mlamx1634
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wiped the cache partition in my HTC One M8 and it been running smooth since, thanks for the info. I would suggest that this is part of the upgrade process or added a selection to where the user can do this or not.

Regards

M

0 Likes