Re: [Resolved!] Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
jova33

That link had nothing to do with what was mentioned btw. It was a guide on transferring your number out of Verizon's network without suffering an ETF. You don't need to hack your phone to do that.

Anyways, Google "sell Verizon contract keep your number" it's the first search result.

0 Likes
noneone

July 5, 2013, the posted solution still works.  Thanks much!

What I did and why.

1) started to ported verizon number to google voice

2) waited 15 minutes

3) chose new number on verizon site, got this new number right away

4) 24 hours later got notified by google my number had been ported in.

5) this was an older unlimited data plan

Why?  I like google voice.  My original number I've used for many years and didn't want to lose it.  Google voice features I like are many, but, one is the ability to forward calls from my main number to multiple phones, I work at multiple locations, and if someone calls my number, now I can have it ring my cellphone (with the new number) and  work location 1 and work location 2.  Current verizon tools allow call forwarding, but, only to ONE line (near as I could figure).

I do lose MMS, and that is a pain, and a reason to disapprove of verizon.  The carriers (att / verizon etc) have decided not to share mms with other services such as PBX lines, wifi calling (vonage, skype) or google voice.  I use email instead of mms for friends to send me pictures.

For me, the added features of google voice outweigh the loss of MMS.

I still use verizon as my main cell carrier, mostly because of the unlimited grandfather data package.

Good luck all!

0 Likes
d_31

I want to add my success story as well .. just did it for one line on my account about a month ago and it took exactly 24 hours to complete. In addition i have been through 1 billing cycle and nothing has changed ..

0 Likes
luvcacti
Enthusiast - Level 1

I included the 00001, but it didn't accept the dash so I just took it out.  That was 8 hours ago -- would it have failed by now if its going to?

0 Likes
edb893

Followed the instructions in the thread and successfully ported my number to google voice while under contract. Spoke to many reps and all said that verizon owned the number since it was still under contract and could NOT be ported, ported number through google voice page, waited half hour to be sure there was not an error then went on verizon website and requested a new number and then rebooted the phone. Port to google took exactly 24 hours. Verizon did not cancel my account. Method Still works as of today! Thanks!

0 Likes
hans007

i just did this too.  took a little over 24 hours,  more like 25.    text isnt working yet, but voice is.

got a little worried at first, but yeah.   i have had verizon for a while but moved to a city where t-mobile's coverage is arguablybetter than verizon ( i know of several places i go where verizon has nothing and t-mobile / at&t have reception).  in fact the apartment building i live in IS a t-mobile tower.   will probably be selling my account thanks to this trick, thanks OP!

0 Likes
eddiesalem

Can anyone confirm that this would work for T-Mobile not just Google Voice? I want to have 2 lines. One with unlimited Data and a T-mobile line. Can i port out the number without losing my plan?

0 Likes
Hghlndr

Hey all successful google port-ers! I'm sure many of you have long since moved on though thought I'd resurrect this discussion and find out if this is STILL a viable solution after all these years??!

So the VZ # am wanting to port has been "connected" to my main Google acct for years. Will follow the suggested porting instructions though admittedly concerned since Google attributes the phone number with my existing acct! How did you all handle this aspect since you probably ported the cell # that was connected to your main Google acct too?

Any technical confusion? Your seasoned input would be greatly appreciated. Peace

0 Likes