Re: Guy middle age buy's a Train Set is there something Wrong with that.. I guess the Kid in me hasn't left yet
mama23dogs
Legend

LOL.  Oh, yes they are!   My father was born there.  Moved away as soon as he could.  But all his relatives stayed and there were a bunch of them.

I Still have family in Dubuque and Maquoketa.  My parents drive out once a year to visit with uncle Billy, who is a cousin as far as I know.

My grandmother was one of 9 children and had many cousins on both sides of her family.

Re: Guy middle age buy's a Train Set is there something Wrong with that.. I guess the Kid in me hasn't left yet
Snn5
Legend

Hmmm, most of my people originated in Wales, France, Germany and Ireland, far as I know, but whatever....I can't tell a huge difference between us all, we all look similar right?

mama23dogs
Legend

You mean burn like lobsters in the sun?  Yep.

mama23dogs
Legend

SO, B, I was watching "How the States Got Their Shape" featuring Illinois.  It all begins and ends in Chicago!

Of course they start with Mississippi and canal, but then the program moved into the railroad.  So they gave a short tour of the Rail yard, 'the hump' and how one guy can control these huge trains by himself.  

WHat I found interesting is the yard man has this control box strapped to his chest, but he also pulls all the pins by hand, then gravity does the rest.  A Little bit technology a lot of hands on.

It looked a lot safer than the old days.  I know in the old days the men who coupled and uncoupled the trains lost fingers in the process. 

B33
Legend

O yea being a conductor was a tough Job back in the Day working with the Engineer but being a Second Man or Breakman which most of there life they road in the Caboose had one of the Dangerous Jobs out there, they had to Bare Freezing Temps, and Heat ride on a Grab Rain that was no bigger than a stepladder Step and hold on to a Grab Rail while moving sometimes Down the Rails at 15 to 30mph depending on how fast they need the product out of the Yard or moved to set of Track and some of them Step Rails had Ice on them in Icy conditions.. Let alone what the Wind Chill was for that Day.. make my ole Bones freeze just thinking about it..

Got me another new MAXXI  I  set here's the KATO Number.. to see the Cars

Kato 106-6161 and I got my self A neat new Tool While i was up n Deshler it was a

Rix Picks uncoupling Tool for Uncoupling my Rolling Stock from each other or from my Engines, The Model or Stock No. for the Tool is 628-0024 made in the Good ole U.S.A Smiley Happy

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Yeah.  It was dangerous work. 

YOu were gone for a while.  Hope the family has been well.

IVe been busy.  I need to rake, but to tired today

0 Likes
B33
Legend

O yea that is some Hard work,  wished I could send one of those Lawn/Leaf choppers your way them things are neat and can chop up some really nice Mulch.!

B33
Legend

Here's a New Car Set I've Been Wanting for a While I'll put some Info on these Tenders and maybe some Video Guys

The U.P. Water Tenders that follow behind U.P. 844, 3985 and soon to be 4014

Union Pacific Water Car No. 814 | Wasatch Railcar Repair

http://utahrails.net/pass/water-cars.php

Air-and-Space.com, Union Pacific Steam Locomotive 844, November 12, 2011

This is a Great Video of the Two Engines 844 / 3985

(HD) Union Pacific steam through St. Louis: UP 844 and Challenger 3985 - YouTube

NEW U.P. Water Tenders....jpg

B33
Legend
mama23dogs
Legend

Chooo choo!!!!!   Very nice