iphone 12 not connecting to network extender
wynton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got an iphone 12, which defaults to 5G service "when available."  As far as I know, there is no 5G service in my area.  In any event, I've experimented with some settings, such as turning off 5G altogether, but I have yet to be able to connect with my home network extender.

In the meantime, I see that this phone has an option of "wi-fi calling" enabled.   Is it possible that using the option of wi-fi calling interferes with the ability to connect to the network extender? Frankly, I'm not even sure which will give me better service.  But I'd like to maximize connectivity, in any way possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iphone 12 not connecting to network extender
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wynton,

You can definitely try referring the post Jav6 made. In general, you should be able to use an LTE extender without issue, as the phone still accesses all our LTE channels. If the extender is an older 3G extender, which most 4G phones will be able to connect to, it will not work at all. 5G iPhones lack CDMA access. So you could just have a case of all the older phones connecting to the 3G extender and your phone unable to find the signal.  You can generally get the best connection with the most range out of WiFi calling in a no service situation. However, this must be established on-network. Have you been able to successfully set up WiFi Calling on your phone? How has it performed, if so?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Pdub1971

Same problem here with new iPhone 12 not connecting to my network extender. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those details, wynton. Congrats on the new phone. The last thing we want is for you to experince issues connecting to the network extender. Have you tried turning off the Wi-Fi Calling feature to connect? Are there other devices around you experiencing the same issue?

0 Likes
wynton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I tried calling without the wi-fi enabled.  Didn't help.

And my family continues to have no issue with the network extender, but they all have older phones (and not iphones).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is disheartening to hear. We are here to help. A Private Note will be sent, so we can dig into this issue. - BrittanyC_VZW

jav6
Champion - Level 3

@wynton wrote:

Yes, I tried calling without the wi-fi enabled.  Didn't help.

And my family continues to have no issue with the network extender, but they all have older phones (and not iphones).

and @Pdub1971 , have you seen this post.  It has an interesting theory and possible solution:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Network-Extender/iPhone-no-signal-LTE-Network-Extender-not-...

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wynton,

You can definitely try referring the post Jav6 made. In general, you should be able to use an LTE extender without issue, as the phone still accesses all our LTE channels. If the extender is an older 3G extender, which most 4G phones will be able to connect to, it will not work at all. 5G iPhones lack CDMA access. So you could just have a case of all the older phones connecting to the 3G extender and your phone unable to find the signal.  You can generally get the best connection with the most range out of WiFi calling in a no service situation. However, this must be established on-network. Have you been able to successfully set up WiFi Calling on your phone? How has it performed, if so?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Pdub1971 wrote:

Same problem here with new iPhone 12 not connecting to my network extender. 

It would help to tell us which model extender you have.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
wynton
Enthusiast - Level 2

It turns out I do have a 3G network extender, so I guess that's the problem.

Now I'm wondering whether the wi-fi calling is superior (in terms of coverage) than a network extender anyway.  Have to decide whether to buy a newer network extender

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wynton,

I am glad we could uncover the issue. Wi-Fi calling is definitely worth testing out, and could be a great solution in your home. A new network extender may be a better one, let us know how you fare with Wi-Fi.

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes