Re: Will our extenders work with 5G and 5G phones?
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

Are you saying Verizon gave you the network extender? I had to buy mine almost $300. 

Hearing that it works with your iPhone 12 is important, can you confirm is this the Samsung network extender?

Do you know the model number of your network extender by any chance?  Thanks 

0 Likes
bookbean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The extender is on loan, as long as I maintain my service with Verizon.  They provided a return ship label and I kept all of the packing material.   It seems to be working fine for me with my new iPhone 12 Pro, with the latest 14.4 update.    I am not sure if this is a re-branded Samsung device.  Nothing on it indicates that it is Samsung.  The SKU is ASK-SFE116, if that helps.

So far, I am very happy with the extender.  My wife has an older iPhone (X something) and it also is working fine.   I reactivated my Galaxy phone with a phone number transferred over from a tablet device.   That phone is also working fine, 4 bars, and confirms that it is under the extender service when I dial in #48.

When I am outside of the house, 5G picks up wherever I happen to be that has service coverage for 5G.  No need to change anything.  Return home and the LTE kicks in again.  

0 Likes
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

This is a very helpful response, thank you, I looked up the SKU on verizon.com and cannot find the manufacturers name or model number so I don’t know if this is the same Samsung that I have, I don’t think it is, it looks different.    

So I guess if my new 12 doesn’t work with my extender I could buy one of these. 

Was this a as simple plug into the power connect the cable from the modem and turn it on?

Does it have a 10 to 15 foot long antenna that you can pull out which is really a long wire?

thanks

0 Likes
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

Had to replace my iPhone X Saturday, got it wet...Purposely did not get the iPhone 12  because of the fear the Samsung extender I have would not work with it because of all the reports.

Dont know if this extender,  ASK-SFE116, is new or if this  extender works with the 5G phones and was it built to deal with the 5G issue?

I got the iPhone 11 instead, and will get the 13 in September probably, but dont know if I will need the new extender or not.

Wi-Fi calling works but had dropped calls on that.

0 Likes
gbhull

This is an old thread, but the question remains, and I can supply a few answers to assist those who may still wonder if a Verizon 4G LTE Extender will work with a 5G phone.  

In my case, I have a Verizon 4G Extender (Samsung model) and iPhone 13 (mini and pro max), and the iPhone 13 works fine with the Verizon 4G LTE extender.  The iPhone (and android models) will always step down to the strongest signal.  So if a 5G signal is unavailable or weak and a more robust 4G signal is available, the phone will connect to the strongest signal.

It is possible with Apple iPhones to force them to use 4G LTE service only. in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data  then select LTE by touching this option.  This will limit the phone to using only 4G LTE cell service.  In this mode, it will not connect to 5G service until you change the option.  If you want the phone to automatically select the appropriate cell service option (including 5G), you should select 5G Auto.

The Verizon network extender does not connect to the Verizon cell towers.  Instead, it creates a local cell signal in your house and then connects via an ethernet cable to the internet. Your phone traffic is passed along an internet path to Verizon, which enters the phone system.

0 Likes
kh_jenn

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes