Re: Will our extenders work with 5G and 5G phones?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely want to see you be able to use your new phone, skerber. Let's gather a few details. What indicators do you see on your LTE network extender currently? What happens when you try to dial #48 from your new phone when in range of the extender?

LynnE_VZW

0 Likes
LLESUEUR
Enthusiast - Level 1

LLESUEUR, Living in zip 35960 (week signal area for the last 20 years. Verizon provided me with an extender when we were on 3G many years ago. It worked within 300 feet of the house until they went to 4g and it did not work after that.  They refuse to provide me another one and say I have to buy my own. Obviously that would be a short lived solution because they are already moving up to the 5G. If i upgrade to a 5G phone the extender will not work. I have been with Verizon since before they were Airtouch and became Verizon, (over 20 years) however I am going to change to another cell service. They are not concerned about good service to their customers anymore. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would never want to see you leave the Verizon family, LLESUEUR. We know how important it is to stay connected. Have you looked into purchasing a 3-rd party booster?

EllisandraC_VZE

0 Likes
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

So is Verizon confirming that our extenders in my case I guess I have the Samsung, that currently work with the 4G will not work with 5G phones?

obviously we need to know this so we don’t buy 5g phones. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your 4G Network Extender should still work with your 4G compatible 5G device. The 4G Network Extender will still provide support for 4G services, but not 5G. Most 5G devices are still 4G capable. Does this provide some clarity? - Nick

0 Likes
randys12
Contributor - Level 1

Except for each person who had come on here with an iPhone 12 as in 5G says it does not work with their extender, so there’s clearly an issue. 

I am not buying an iPhone 12 right now because of these posts that I am seeing I am assuming there is an issue not isolated to just a couple of people. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To clarify, it should still work if you had your 5G phone set to 4G while using the network extender. It will not extend the network in 5G, as it is a 4G network extender. It's fine to wait too.

0 Likes
dafesq
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an extender about 5 years old (the old one died after a couple of months).  All four lights are blue.  I have a Google Pixel 3, tried calling #48 several times and get message that I am not by a 4G extender, even when I set the phone on top of it one time and another at the end of the antenna cord where there's a box.  My phone is showing an "X" is the triangle box indicating strength of service.  I can make and receive calls, but they keep dropping.  Is the extender toast again?  My husband has the identical phone purchased at same time and doesn't have the "x"  and doesn't drop calls as much.  AT&T just put up a tower about a mile from our home.  That may not make a difference but maybe better service given tower proximity?  My zip code is 93444

0 Likes
tiffiemariee
Enthusiast - Level 1

What boosters are available currently that would work with an iphone 12?  I have found none.  Thanks in advance.  

0 Likes
bookbean1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got an iPhone 12 Pro at the end of the year.  I had to switch from using Galaxy S9 and I had been looking forward to upgrading to the newest Galaxy 21, but for reasons I won't get into, I needed to finally go the iPhone route.

I have been consistently experiencing dropped calls with the iPhone and I determined that my signal was just to weak at home.  Verizon has come through and provided me with the LTE Network Extender for 4G.   I just started using it yesterday and it seems to be working fine.

I had also purchased, but not yet installed a cell phone signal booster.  That will require getting assistance putting it up on the roof, running the cables, pointing in the right direction, etc.   Given that the Network Extender is working, I am shipping back the signal booster.

The extender seems to work fine with my Comcast xfi router. When I am in my car, the phone goes right back to 5G where available.  I do not have to do anything.   Inside the house, I was quickly able to connect using the #48 code.

So that's where I am at.

0 Likes