Highlighted

VZW Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender 2 - Range and Whitelisting Configure by VZW Tech Support?

SCOPUR20
Received my VZW 4G network extender today with concerns and needs below. I was told by VZW a 2nd level rep two weeks ago that the range of the extender can be reduced from say 50 feet to say 30-35 feet and that VZW phone numbers can be whitelisted from the the VZW tech support end. Calling in this afternoon, different VZW tech rep says they have no information on that. I am in an apartment building, ground level, with foot traffic and a parking lot less than 50 feet away. For security reasons, I have a wired router (no Wifi) which using with the extender that has boosted my 4G dBm from 110-115 (1-2 signal bars) to around 75 dBm (5 bars). I have password protected the extender. Looking for the additional safeguards mentioned above to prevent unknown others from using the extender and my cable company's bandwidth for their calls, downloads, video, etc. Any advanced VZW tech or user insights into this?
0 Likes

Re: VZW Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender 2 - Range and Whitelisting Configure by VZW Tech Support?

Community Manager
Community Manager

The security provided for the Samsung 4G LTE network extender would consist of the appropriate adminstrator password and security question. Please see link for details.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-215978/

JoshuaC_VZW

0 Likes

Re: VZW Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender 2 - Range and Whitelisting Configure by VZW Tech Support?

SCOPUR20
So that as understand it prevents anyone from getting into the extender to get any of its status information or change its settings. So my phone works with the extender, but if have guests in my home with VZW mobiles, will they need my extender password to use the extender? If no, what would prevent any other VZW mobile from accessing it outside my apartment building as on the ground floor? That is sort of a rhetorical question, as found since I originally posted, this article https://www.samsung.com/global/business/networks/insights/news/verizon-and-samsung-unveil-4g-lte-net... which states 'the 4G LTE Network Extender is designed for self-installation, and uses Samsung's self-optimizing network technology to automatically learn its surroundings and adjust its coverage to improve user experience. ' p.s. Do not ask me to call VZW technical support as have been on the phone with them over 9 hours in over two weeks on this extender issue.
0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Good question. To confirm, 4G Network Extenders are registered to your account directly. Therefore, in order for a VZW device to work in your home, they would need to be added to your account in order for the Network Extender to connect to any guest devices. Was this information helpful? You can get additional details clicking on the following link: http://spr.ly/6606Ekuxr

0 Likes

SCOPUR20
Figuring that Samsung has got to know about their 4G LTE Extender 2, I emailed them and got their helpful response below (its not in the 79 page online user manual) about the difficult question about the extender range. This seems to be my experience so far having had the extender for a week now. "Your mobile device must be within 15 feet* of the Network Extender to connect to it. Once connected, the mobile device can move up to 40 feet* away from the Network Extender and still be able to make a call or use data. Once you've connected to the Network Extender network, you can move within a broader coverage area (40 feet from the Network Extender or up to a 5,000 square foot area). You can make and receive calls as usual as long as you stay within the Network Extender coverage area. *The coverage area required to establish an initial connection and the broader coverage area of the Network Extender cannot be guaranteed and may vary due to environmental factors, such as physical structures and the strength of external tower coverage."
0 Likes