Re: Please open the 4G LTE Network Extenders to allow 'Preferred Access'
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We completely understand that the Whitelist feature is what's needed in order to resolve your issue, ceakins. At this time, Samsung has not made this available as it was on prior models. I've sent you another private email because I'd like to work with you on the available options.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon agents should stop telling people that the 4G Extender has white lists. It does not! Only the 3G has it as of now. Hope it is updated soon to do so.

RogerSC
Contributor - Level 1

I agree, the Network Extender uses the internet that I pay for to supply my neighbors with Verizon access. While I haven't gotten kicked off of it yet, I really object to having to pay for internet access so that my neighbors can have better Verizon service. Providing access to Verizon cellular service is up to Verizon, they're the ones that get paid for it, not me.

The "management" capability to only have the phones that I need on my Network Extender (not my neighbors') has to be added. The 3G version of the Network Extender had this functionality, and the 4G/LTE Extender has better range than that the previous Network Extender, so it needs it even more.

RogerSC
Contributor - Level 1

I should mention that I often see 3 phones connected to my Network Extender at this point in time, and no one in my house is using it. If I didn't need it for my phone, I would have deep-sixed the thing some time ago. I really hate that the internet that I pay for is being sucked up by my neighbors, and am expecting to be denied use because of too many connections any time now. My neighbors are a lot more fortunate than I am (courtesy of Verizon). They get their own internet, plus a piece of mine. I wish I could get in on that one.

I would turn the power down, except I have the power set so that aren't any 4G/LTE dead spots in my house. Silly me.

This is just ridiculous, a major bug, and needs to be fixed!!!

mama23dogs
Legend

I'm finding this discussion interesting as I went back to AT&T and bought a Microcell for this purpose. The newer ones are made by Cisco and have a list of allowed devices, so no one can poach your signal.

Seems the answer is for Verizon to dump Samsung (ATT did) and switch to a new manufacturer for extenders.  If the 3G extender works, don't get the 4G version, it isn't needed for talk and text.

RogerSC
Contributor - Level 1

Well, my solution for the moment is to stop using the 4G LTE Network Extender, and go back to "Verizon Wi-Fi Calling" mode. Both my wife and my phone are iPhones, so we can use wifi calling. I originally got the Network Extender so that I could use my Google Pixel at home. Now Verizon has wifi calling going pretty well on the Pixel, so I don't absolutely need the Network Extender at home anymore.

However, I paid for the Network Extender, and it does give better battery life on both the iPhone and the Pixel than using wifi calling does, so I expect to be able to use it again when Verizon adds management capability to it. But I don't intend to use it again until Verizon does add that capability, and will make sure that anyone that I know who is considering getting the 4G LTE Network Extender knows what its considerable drawbacks are.

jerro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Eventually this dinosaur of a company may get it updated but to get an update its got to be online. Maybe you can ask VZW to email you when an update is ready, if leaving it on causes issues.

0 Likes
RogerSC
Contributor - Level 1

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Verizon has been "considering adding management capability" to their 4G LTE Network Extender for over a year now. I have one, and will not use it until user management is added, since I see no reason why I should share the internet that I pay for with my neighbors (they're not doing that for me *smile*).

I'm keeping this thing in hopes that management will be added at some point so that I can actually use it. I'm starting to thing I should just chuck it in the trash. I'm thinking Verizon has no intention of adding management to these things, since as they stand they extend Verizon's network to others at no cost to them. In fact, we have paid $250 to improve Verizon's infrastructure, I guess they're a lot smarter than I am, or at least sleazier.

If Verizon would just make a statement, like "we're not going to add management", then I could chuck the Extender into the garbage bin where it belongs. As it is, it just sits around gathering dust.

Verizon, are you still considering this (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)?

Kay_Cee
Enthusiast - Level 1

@GeorgeS Almost two years later I now have this problem, too. Just installed a Samsung 4G Network Extender 2 sent to me by VZW at no charge because the coverage in our neighborhood is unrelaibly poor. The VZW tech support person told me that I would have white list functionality to establish priority in the unit for our two phones. But nowhere can I find any way to access that functionality and now it seems that the VZW tech support person was uninformed or not telling the correct story. Because the coverage here is poor, neighbor phones are connecting to our extender, which uses our internet bandwidth and sometime prevents our phones from connecting to it. This is fully ridiculous as any thinking person at VZW should have known in advance, but must surely know as it seems to be valuable functionality lost from 3G extenders and has been complained about by users for two years here! Is there a solution now? 

NCverizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any update on locking these down yet? Also how do I check what is connected to these, the link perviously provided in the post does not work.

This is a real securiy risk!