Re: Network Extender with iPhone 6
Roadblocked
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi - I know they ‘do’ however they DO NOT automatically get routed over WiFi. 

Here is a scenario I experience at home.

1 bar of LTE service - phone enters WiFi Calling.

Send SMS text message - stuck forever at sending because the phone still recognizes the phone is on cellular, the SMS/MMS are NOT automatically routed over wifi calling in this scenario.  You MUST enter airplane mode to force SMS over Wifi or have 0% service.

However, again this is IRRELEVANT, I release IRRELEVANT because Verizon sells a 4G LTE Network Extender.  This makes it so people do NOT have to connect to your WiFi. 

If Verizon wants people to use WiFi calling exclusively they need to STOP selling 4G LTE Network Extenders immediately - issue refunds to all customers who have purchased them - AND FORCE ALL MESSAGES over WiFi calling.

Please - let’s find a solution for the ACTUAL problem rather than provide bandaid information for solutions that people are not asking for.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I've been using wifi calling since it came out. It is a valid solution.  Extenders are full of problems and cause much more stress than wifi calling.  Most no longer need an extender if your phone is wifi calling capable, so this discussion is very valid here, especially for others to consider. 

For or what it's worth, I do not see your problem here.  When I have 1 bar, but phone is in VZW wifi mode, everything is going In And out of wifi. My obersvarion over many people is it does automatically get routed over wifi. 

wifi calling is not a bandaid and should be the primary consideration in marginal indoor areas.  I have had several shut down their 3G extender and move to wifi calling, and avoided them buying the overpriced, flaky, unnecessary LTE extender.  If I can save others the hassle of an extender, this discussion is worth it. 

The actual problem is marginal cell covereage.  The relevant answer is consider wifi calling. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Roadblocked wrote:

If Verizon wants people to use WiFi calling exclusively they need to STOP selling 4G LTE Network Extenders immediately - issue refunds to all customers who have purchased them - AND FORCE ALL MESSAGES over WiFi calling..

Not all phones are wifi calling capable. Those people do not have the option of wifi calling. Furthermore, unlocked, non-Verizon branded phones are not wifi calling capable on Verizon and it is unlikely they ever will be. These would include Google Nexus phones such as the 5X and 6P. Whether or not the new Google Pixel phones will be remains to be seen. It appears that this phone may have a version of it sold on Verizon which would make it likely to be wifi calling capable, though.

As Weth​ has stated, I ALSO have wifi calling activated on my phones and make use of it in my workplace and in some other locations. My cellular service is somewhat spotty in some of these locations, sometimes going in and out of service. I have never had a problem with SMS/MMS being sent/received when in an area with spotty cellular coverage and wifi coverage.

I also do not consider wifi calling a "bandaid" as it is what I along with many other have been wanting for quite some time and I find it to work as I had hoped.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Roadblocked
Enthusiast - Level 3

the 4G LTE Network Extender generally requires phones that also use WiFi calling. 

Just because you guys never have had the problem that people have - does not mean it doesn’t exist.  It most certainly does exist.  I’m not just some idiot spouting off things I haven’t personally experienced.

0 Likes
Roadblocked
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are talking about 4G LTE Network Extenders - NOT 3G Extenders

0 Likes
Roadblocked
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, I have WiFi calling enabled on my iphone 7 - along with advanced calling.  I require a 4G LTE Network Extender as a solution in my area.  A Solution that should always work (and always has until I got the iphone 7.)

0 Likes
Roadblocked
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, this topic isn’t about a debate on which we should use. This is specifically about 4G LTE Network Extenders so coming to this thread and telling people to use WiFi calling is counterproductive.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You would need a phone with HD (VoLTE) Voice feature to route the calls over the 4G LTE router. Most phones capable of wifi calling are also capable of the HD Voice.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Roadblocked, we want to make sure all of your messages are sent without having to put the phone in airplane mode. Are you using the regular messaging application on the phone or Verizon Messages. Have you always had this problem with WIFI calling or did this just begin?

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Roadblocked
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has always happened.  I am using regular SMS messages - Verizon Messages is not an application I will use.