Network Extender kills Connection to Macro Network
sbe53

My Network Extender is exhibiting a new problem such if I'm already on a call when I come into range of the Network Extender the call immediately drops.  The NE expert at Verizon swears they all to this and its a part of the design.  I find it inconceivable that Samsung would have deliberately designed a device that kills your connection to a cell tower.

My understanding is that while the NE is designed to hand off a call from itself to the macro network it is incapableof accepting a call that is already in progress from the macro network.  But terminating a perfectly good ongoing connection to one of Verizon's towers just because you stroll by an NE makes no sense.  Yet yet this is what this tech says is what he sees every day and how the product is supposed to function.

I believe he is seeing this behavior.  What I don't believe is that the product is supposed to operate this way.  It seems far more likely that there is a system problem someplace, that its endemic and so the techs have taken to labeling the problem a feature.

Are any of you seeing that the moment you get near your NE the call suddenly drops?  Or do any of you find that when you are on a call which is clearly going via a tower, say because you started it well before you got home or wherever your NE is that when you get home the call continues just fine so long as you have enough signal strength to reach the Verizon tower?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Network Extender kills Connection to Macro Network
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sbe53,

We don't want to see you have these drops! That's never okay. You're absolutely right that connecting to the extender shouldn't cause your call to drop. The extender can't pick up a call already in progress but your phone shouldn't connect to the extender until the call ends so you can finish it. How is the coverage in this location without the extender? Is it possible the call is dropping because you lose coverage and it then connects to the extender? Do multiple phones have this same issue?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
sbe53

The coverage in my area is good enough that poor coverage is not the reason the call is dropping when I come home.

I am aware that the NE passes a call from it to the macro network but cannot accept a call from the macro network.  The pass off from the NE to the macro network is working fine now (it wasn't originally and they found the source of the problem...a miss programmed switch).   However now for whatever reason when I am on the macro network as soon as I come within range of the NE the call drops.

The signal is still good and I've never had this problem before.  It's something new.  Something has changed somewhere.

Steve

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sbe53,

We certainly appreciate all of your information. That isn't the experience we want you to have. How long has this been going on? What type of phone are you using? Are any other people using the extender and having the same experience?

AndrewT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
sbe53

How long has this been going on?

Since last fall.  I've been trying for months to get someone at Verizon tech support who dealt with a prior problem (that turned out to be a problem in the Verizon network) to return my call and they haven't

What type of phone are you using?

iPhone 5S

Are any other people using the extender and having the same experience?

My wife.  Yes. 

In addition we are both experience frequent dropped calls while on the NE. This seems odd given the signal is good as we  are only 10 or 15 feet away with a clear line of sight and excellent signal strength.

It would be nice to get someone to take this issue seriously.  My understanding is that every NE users is experiencing the same issue.  Can we get the ball rolling on this?

0 Likes
Wyatt88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Possible reason for your issue of calls on the macro network dropping when you are in range of the network extender is the following: It is known that calls cannot be passed from the macro to the extender. When you get close enough to the extender while on a call connected to the macro, your phone may see the extender's signal and this signal is stronger than the macro's signal so the phone tries to switch to the stronger signal, but can't. Call is then dropped.

Seems like with proper programming this should not happen, ie the call should stay on the macro, assuming the phone can continue to receive and send a signal to the macro. This is one for the engineers to fix.

0 Likes
Tanderscuba79

I am also experiencing the same problem with my phone call dropping when switching to the network extender. I on the other hand have poor signal quality in my house there for needing the network extender. If I had a strong enough signal on the metro network then I wouldn't need an extender. But since I have poor coverage around my house I drop a call anytime I walk near the network extender.

Isn't the point of a network extender is to have continuous coverage?

0 Likes
Tanderscuba79

I also had Tmobile previously and it used to switch between the towers and my wireless internet automatically with no calls being dropped.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dropped calls are never the type of experience that we want you to have. Calls are unable to be handed off from a tower connection to a Network Extender network. An active call would need to be terminated before it can connect to a Network Extender. It also takes 15 minutes within a 15 foot range to connect to a Network Extender. Your call is likely dropping as the device loses connection with the tower where it then connects with the Network Extender. Calls made from the Network Extender are capable of being passed off to the tower.

HarleyE_VZW

If my response answered your question, please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes