How Can I Use My Booster Correctly In Order To Get Better Signal?
HOWIEG53
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have a few dead spots in our office where we have to stand by the window to get enough bars to recieve and make voice calls.

I bought and installed a 700 MHz 4G LTE antenna and booster amp system. Didn't help.

I'm thinking that maybe I should be boosting the 3G signal, not the 4G, but I'm not sure which frequency to boost 900Mhz or 1900Mhz.

We're in NYC, signal strength is great everywhere except the one or two spots at one end of the office.

Anyone have a suggestion?

TIA

Howie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What frequency for booster?
Weth
Legend

If you can't find anything more specific, go with 850 MHz

Reasons:

1) Verizon is starting to refarm 1900 MHz to LTE (which is Band 2 LTE), which we know has happened in the New York metro area

2) Willson Cellular Booster website recommends 800 MHz for Verizon

3)

From Wilson Cellular Booster info:

VERIZON WIRELESS

Verizon Wireless uses both the 800 and 1900 MHz bands for voice services depending upon the area, but the majority of their customers communicate on the 800 MHz band. If you are looking to boost a wireless card or are tethering (using a phone as a modem), we would recommend a Dual Band system (amplifies both bands), as Verizon's EVDO network utilizes the 1900 MHz band. However, for most customers, an 800 MHz only kit will be sufficien.

Report: Verizon starts refarming 1900 MHz spectrum for LTE in New York City | FierceWireless

And finally from a different cell booster website:

Verizon Wireless Cell Phone Repeaters

Verizon Wireless has licences and makes use of CDMA technology on both the 800 and 1900 MHz frequency bands. For this reason, it is important to find out exactly which frequencies they are using in your area in order to purchase the appropriate repeater to improve your Verizon Wireless reception.

In most areas, Verizon makes use of the 800 MHz frequency for basic voice and data services. The 1900 MHz band is generally reserved for their EVDO broadband data service. In order to improve basic voice and data reception, most customers will find the 800 MHz cell phone repeater appropriate. For customers looking to improve the speed and connectivity of their EVDO services, a 1900 MHz cell repeater kit can be used.

Note: Customers in Texas and Florida may find that Verizon's frequency usage varies from the above guidelines.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

It can be on either 850 or 1900, but 1900 is less likely to get through your walls. 

You up need a good signal to boost.  Can the office put in an extender rather than a amplifier?

0 Likes
carment_vzw
Verizon Employee

HOWIEG53-

I want you staying connected without any issues and I can certainly understand the need to have a good signal strength inside of your office. Indoor coverage can be challenging as many factors can affect signal penetration due to building type, line of sight with our cell towers, weather conditions among other factors outside of our reach. The good news is that we offer a Network Extender that helps boost signal up to 5000 sq ft and it works as a mini antenna. To learn more about this great accessory http://vz.to/2cRZ7FH

Carment_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
HOWIEG53
Enthusiast - Level 1

A bit more detail;

We're in a construction trailer, thin aluminum exterior walls, then insulation and flakeboard walls.

One end of the trailer is fine as regards reception. The other end has all the electric service and a/c-heating units, that's the end where the issue is. Even at that end getting close to the window helps a bit. Within the trailer everything is pretty much line of sight, no interior walls to speak of, and (as I mentioned), they're fairly thin wood.

Basically what I'm looking for here is (a) confirmation that I made a mistake ordering a repeater for 4G LTE instead of 3G and (b) which band (frequency) would be the appropriate one to repeat under the circumstances (construction details as noted above) and location (NYC with 5 bars right outside the trailer as noted in the OP).

Thanks again for your help.

Howie

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Did you mount one repeater antenna outdoors?  The 4G LTE should have worked if it is going to work, it is not "wrong"

0 Likes
HOWIEG53
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

To clarify, our issue is with dropped calls. we don't have data problems. There's WiFi for data, works well and we don't use the phones for much except voice while we're in the office.

Yes, one of the antennas is outside about 10 ft higher than the roof and has an unobstructed path in any direction we turn it. I've sent diagrams and pictures to the manufacturer of the antenna/repeater system and they agree it's installed properly.

The problem seems to be that I picked the wrong band to repeat to fix a dropped call/no reception problem. The system I installed is for 4G LTE 700 Mhz and that doesn't appear to be where vocie calls are carried.

What I'm trying to determine here is (a) confirmation that I made a mistake ordering a repeater for 4G LTE instead of 3G in order to fix a dropped call problem and (b) which band (frequency) would be the appropriate one to repeat (850Mhz or 1900Mhz) under the circumstances (construction details as noted above) and location (NYC with 5 bars right outside the trailer as noted in the OP).

Thanks again,

Howie

0 Likes
adriennep_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks for all the details, HowieG53. I do want to help you get service working. One quick hint, if you have a device that has Advanced Calling setup you may need to turn that off for it to work with your 4G extender. Our network works off 850 and 1900 MHZ. Please keep in mind if you purchase an extender or booster it will also need to be registered Cell Phone Signal Booster | Verizon Wireless. We also sell a 3G network extender Samsung Network Extender (SCS-2U01) - Verizon Wireless.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Depends on which phone you have. If you have a newer phone with Advanced Calling, then calls are over LTE. However, older phones will only get voice over the older 1x technology, which is the 850 MHz (and some at the 1700/1900 MHz). Since you have wifi in the trailer, an extender may be a better option.

0 Likes
HOWIEG53
Enthusiast - Level 1

So, 850 or 1900 is the question that I still haven't gotten a definitive reply about.

Does anyone know if they have equal coverage in the Throgs Neck section of the Bronx in NYC?

Is there some way to tell which is stronger when I'm outside the trailer and have 5 bars, that's the one I'll boost.

thanks again for all your help.

Howie

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If you can't find anything more specific, go with 850 MHz

Reasons:

1) Verizon is starting to refarm 1900 MHz to LTE (which is Band 2 LTE), which we know has happened in the New York metro area

2) Willson Cellular Booster website recommends 800 MHz for Verizon

3)

From Wilson Cellular Booster info:

VERIZON WIRELESS

Verizon Wireless uses both the 800 and 1900 MHz bands for voice services depending upon the area, but the majority of their customers communicate on the 800 MHz band. If you are looking to boost a wireless card or are tethering (using a phone as a modem), we would recommend a Dual Band system (amplifies both bands), as Verizon's EVDO network utilizes the 1900 MHz band. However, for most customers, an 800 MHz only kit will be sufficien.

Report: Verizon starts refarming 1900 MHz spectrum for LTE in New York City | FierceWireless

And finally from a different cell booster website:

Verizon Wireless Cell Phone Repeaters

Verizon Wireless has licences and makes use of CDMA technology on both the 800 and 1900 MHz frequency bands. For this reason, it is important to find out exactly which frequencies they are using in your area in order to purchase the appropriate repeater to improve your Verizon Wireless reception.

In most areas, Verizon makes use of the 800 MHz frequency for basic voice and data services. The 1900 MHz band is generally reserved for their EVDO broadband data service. In order to improve basic voice and data reception, most customers will find the 800 MHz cell phone repeater appropriate. For customers looking to improve the speed and connectivity of their EVDO services, a 1900 MHz cell repeater kit can be used.

Note: Customers in Texas and Florida may find that Verizon's frequency usage varies from the above guidelines.